Author Topic: Could a LinuxMCE (Media Live?) System Replace my Ziova CS-505?  (Read 3221 times)

jasn

• First post!
    • View Profile
Apologies beforehand if this has been asked and answered but after reading information on the wiki, and watching the youtube video demonstration of LMCE, I have a question starting with a simpler LMCE usage scenario then what's presented. I would like to replace my "front end" media player device currently connected via HDMI to my widescreen 1080p LCD TV, which is now a Ziova CS-505 "networked" DVD player. It is used for 2 purposes. Playing DVDs, and playing video, audio, and photo, files from my NAS server. If I built an LMCE system, (perhaps based on the MSI Media Live with appropriate components), could it replace the CS505, for both purposes? It would also be a benefit if it could in addition to playing DVDs, offer the option of ripping them for storage on the NAS server. Lastly it would be great, once being properly setup, to be simple enough to have non-techies use it.

My first thoughts before I discovered the LinuxMCE website, were to simply replace the current CS-505, with perhaps an Oppo Digital DV-981HD DVD player for just playing the DVDs, and then adding a Syabas based iStarHD Mini NMT for just playing the media files from the NAS server. With myself ripping the DVDs from my computer to the NAS. However, I definitely prefer to support the LinuxMCE movement by rolling my own, as I think it would help avoid limitations of future file format support that the hardware Sigma chipset based players can't avoid.

I can appreciate that this sounds very Kaleidescape-esque, as I really want to turn this NAS server into a DVD jukebox, but I can certainly see myself starting with this use of LMCE, and then branching into perhaps other aspects of the system later. It's important to note that rather than build a core LMCE system, I only really need a "front end" player, as I would prefer to store all digital files, (media as well as other computer stuff), on the NAS server here. I also can honestly say that I probably won't be wanting to replace the Tivo Series 3 here with similar live TV functionality in the LMCE system, for some time. My actual TV watching has been really shrinking in favor of watching television, documentaries, and movies, all from DVD. So what I would like to start with a simple way to jukebox all of my DVDs. I'm also prepared to admit that I may just need to consider setting up an MSI Media Live box with any old linux distro, (I use Gentoo on my computers here), and simply setting up any good Linux DVD player, and going that route for now.

Anyway as with all of these things, I appreciate the collective wisdom of these kinds of forums, and if this appears too newbie-ish, I certainly understand any unwillingness to answer this. I'm just hoping I can catch one of you wizards in a conversant mood, when you have a spare moment..

Thanks

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Could a LinuxMCE (Media Live?) System Replace my Ziova CS-505?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:01:35 pm »
Apologies beforehand if this has been asked and answered but after reading information on the wiki, and watching the youtube video demonstration of LMCE, I have a question starting with a simpler LMCE usage scenario then what's presented. I would like to replace my "front end" media player device currently connected via HDMI to my widescreen 1080p LCD TV, which is now a Ziova CS-505 "networked" DVD player. It is used for 2 purposes. Playing DVDs, and playing video, audio, and photo, files from my NAS server. If I built an LMCE system, (perhaps based on the MSI Media Live with appropriate components), could it replace the CS505, for both purposes? It would also be a benefit if it could in addition to playing DVDs, offer the option of ripping them for storage on the NAS server. Lastly it would be great, once being properly setup, to be simple enough to have non-techies use it.

My first thoughts before I discovered the LinuxMCE website, were to simply replace the current CS-505, with perhaps an Oppo Digital DV-981HD DVD player for just playing the DVDs, and then adding a Syabas based iStarHD Mini NMT for just playing the media files from the NAS server. With myself ripping the DVDs from my computer to the NAS. However, I definitely prefer to support the LinuxMCE movement by rolling my own, as I think it would help avoid limitations of future file format support that the hardware Sigma chipset based players can't avoid.

I can appreciate that this sounds very Kaleidescape-esque, as I really want to turn this NAS server into a DVD jukebox, but I can certainly see myself starting with this use of LMCE, and then branching into perhaps other aspects of the system later. It's important to note that rather than build a core LMCE system, I only really need a "front end" player, as I would prefer to store all digital files, (media as well as other computer stuff), on the NAS server here. I also can honestly say that I probably won't be wanting to replace the Tivo Series 3 here with similar live TV functionality in the LMCE system, for some time. My actual TV watching has been really shrinking in favor of watching television, documentaries, and movies, all from DVD. So what I would like to start with a simple way to jukebox all of my DVDs. I'm also prepared to admit that I may just need to consider setting up an MSI Media Live box with any old linux distro, (I use Gentoo on my computers here), and simply setting up any good Linux DVD player, and going that route for now.

Anyway as with all of these things, I appreciate the collective wisdom of these kinds of forums, and if this appears too newbie-ish, I certainly understand any unwillingness to answer this. I'm just hoping I can catch one of you wizards in a conversant mood, when you have a spare moment..

Thanks

LinuxMCE can certainly deliver all of the capabilities mentioned in your post... and we currently use Media Live units in some of our installations - see http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Convergenthome#Model:_NerveCentre_100_.28NC100.29. Its a nice piece of hardware.

If you have any specific questions about LinuxMCE on the Media Live hardware then just ask.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk