Author Topic: PXE over wireless  (Read 23765 times)

naturalblue

• View Profile
PXE over wireless
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:29:15 am »
Anyone known if it is possible to get a PXE boot over wireless.
If not, does anyone know of a good LAN extended.
Somethin I can connect the RJ45 slots into and have them all talk to each other, like as if they were on a LAN.
Maybe even connect 1 into the switch.
Thanx.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: PXE over wireless
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:55:17 pm »
Hi

According to this article http://dtmilano.blogspot.com/2006/08/pxe-wireless-booting.html it is possible (I have not tried it, just googled it). From a quick read, it would seem you need to have a wireless bridge device on your client, and a normal wireless access point connected to the network/switch.

The article also has a couple of links to other sites.

sambuca

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:27:22 pm »
I have one of these  http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1122062241008&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4100839789B09.

it works in two modes. as a wireles access point or a bridge to connect an ethernet card on your pc to a wireles network. I use it as an access point, but if you cant figure out wireless PXE you can youse thise and a normal ethernet card to acheive te same goal.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:21:50 pm »
Even if you get PXE boot over wireless working, it will not give you the results you're looking for as it's to slow and unreliable.  We have been over this quite a few times now and everyone that tried so far has come to this conclusion.  It's a waste of time and effort.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:46:02 pm »
I have very good results with 2 Belkin F5D7230-4 routers.  You can set them up so access is restricted to specified MAC addresses.  A couple years back these were FAR, looks like they retail for approx $40 at Belkin.com.  I was only running a p3-600 with 256 mb ram- was using it as a digital picture frame (and soon, hopefully, a print server) pulling images I loaded onto the core.  If streaming video I would guess, as Zaerc said, the bandwidth is just not there...

jtgamble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:26:59 am »
Unless there are 802.11n cards that work with linux you won't have nearly enough bandwidth. Even then I'm not sure how well it would work. I stream some video over wireless (not using LinuxMCE) at home using N and its pretty good, even at 720p - just takes a bit of buffer time - but I'm not sure how much extra data will be going when you have to run the OS as well as stream the video over a wireless connection.

naturalblue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:44:29 am »
Thanx for all the replies.
I will give it a look or else might just have to cable the house.
Thanx.

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 07:07:30 pm »
I have a MD in my kitchen that uses wireless PXE. I solved this bij placing a client bridge and connecting this with a cable to my MD. It works pretty good, it only takes a lot longer to boot the MD. Playing Divx or DVD's is no problem but when I try HD (720) it sometimes gets in trouble. And when I turn on my microwave the connection gets lost all together. For me this is a temporary sollution, I will be switching to cabled network as soon as I have time to put in place.

Grtz

Thingie

jeffr76

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fissato Hosting
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 06:32:50 pm »
I have also tried this with limited success it does work just not well
Core/hybrid
ASUS M2NPV-VM AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX
n

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:31:56 pm »
A couple notes about wifi:

1.  The wifi network will only be as fast as the SLOWEST connection

ie, if you have 8 802.11n and 1 802.11b, maximun throughput will be limited to 11 Mbps

2.  the wifi bandwidth is SHARED amoung all connections

ie, if you have the network above, all 9 connections use the same 11Mbps bandwidth. (or less than 2 Mbps if all are being used)

These limitations (along with 802.11n not being supported in linux yet) exclude wireless to all but orbiters.

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.