Author Topic: VIA Announces Strategic Open Source Driver Development Initiative  (Read 8304 times)

gazzzman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: VIA Announces Strategic Open Source Driver Development Initiative
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 04:35:14 pm »
I have to be honest...
I avoid VIA like I would the plauge :o
nevertheless the more credibility Linux gets with manufacturers the more people will use it etc!
didn't the Chinese government launch a drive to move entirely away from M$ for all their internal SW?
if the Chinese start using Linux en-masse then things may REALLY improve for all of us :)
(wel I can live in hope right??)

on a personal note I have never quite forgiven Via for their earlier processors..
you know the ones the bought of IBM/Cyrix I remember the fun? I had replacing these when the internal cache died...
dozens and dozens of em >:(
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version 3.1
GCC@GE@GIT@GO dpu S-: a+ C+++ L++ E-- W+++ N+ o+++ w-- O M+ PS+++ PE-- Y++
PGP+ t++ 5 X++ R- tv b+ DI++ D---- G e++* h*++ r+++ Y++++
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 11:49:02 pm »
Hi all, and sorry for beeing a little OT ....

Bulek, would you mind to give me some details/pointers related to your newly bought Mini-ITX Intel Boards for 65€ each?

I also have a VIA board and although my experience is not as bad as yours, I cannot say I'm totally satisfied with it.

So having a look to a more functional (and cheaper, by the way) alternative would't be a bad idea ...

TIA and regards

Marco

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:05 pm »
Hi all, and sorry for beeing a little OT ....

Bulek, would you mind to give me some details/pointers related to your newly bought Mini-ITX Intel Boards for 65€ each?

I also have a VIA board and although my experience is not as bad as yours, I cannot say I'm totally satisfied with it.

So having a look to a more functional (and cheaper, by the way) alternative would't be a bad idea ...

TIA and regards

Marco

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/844

But they sell them even cheaper on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Intel-D201GLY2-Mini-ITX-Mainboard-BOX_W0QQitemZ150233859826QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150233859826

But beware, it seems that graphics is not so well supported under Linux (I get a bit snowing on screen and also didn't tried to play video with it - I'm using it as headless MD, just as and audio source).....

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 01:31:44 am »
So, this has apparently born some fruit but ill be damned if I know its usefull. Maybe someone else has an opinion?

They apparently release  frame buffer code...like i know what that is. Anyways.
Link to their dl page
http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action

& the slashdot blurb
"VIA has released 16,434 Lines Of Free & Open Source code that enables Linux natively to use the framebuffer on VIA's graphics chipsets. This comes a month after VIA announced that it will provide Open-Source drivers and documentation on its Web site so that its hardware will work out of the box with Linux distributions. This gives VIA-powered systems that come pre-installed with Linux — such as the gPC, 15.4" gBook, CloudBook, and Zonbu — the ability to output graphics through digital connections such as HDMI, and probably makes them the best-supported framebuffers Linux has ever had. Look forward to documentation and X.org drivers from VIA as well in the near future."
and link http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/11/1736250&from=rss
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.