Author Topic: Network file sharing with mac os x  (Read 2916 times)

lukenn

• View Profile
Network file sharing with mac os x
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »
Hi guys,

Been getting used to Linux (and MCE) in general for a few days now, but i want to set up file sharing with my MacBook (running Tiger) so i can just drag and drop music, photos and videos from my macs hdd and into the public folder on my linux machine. Im a complete newbie (and very nervous) when it comes to network sharing and setting it up...as i dont want to end up checking the wrong box and find out i've just granted permission for the rest of the World Wide Web to access all my files. So....i was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a step by step guide to getting this running? Would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Luke

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Network file sharing with mac os x
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:09:58 am »
if you have your LMCE core set up with 2 NICs, the Mac should be connected to the "internal" network, in which case the LMCE core will firewall your Mac, so there is no chance that the Internet will "get you"! If you can set up a Samba share on your Mac, and it uses DHCP to get its IP address it will find the share automatically. Or even an NFS share. BTW, the objective is that the LMCE core will find and aggregate all your media from all sources and present it in one interface so that you don't need to move the media from your Mac to the core..

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:11:54 am »
i have my mac set up in a slightly different manner and it works great.

two nics with the Macs on the external network

using the admin log in to my router, I assigned the LMCE machine and the two Macs static IP addresses.

then when I want to transfer files, I open a finder, click on the 'Go' in the menu and then click 'connect to server' 

At the prompt enter smb://192.168.1.35 (that IP address is just an example, you must use your LMCE IP address, so smb://whatever_your_ip_is)

you should then be prompted for a password and then for which folder you care to use (public, user1, user2, etc...)

After choosing the folder you will see the LMCE file structure.  Add files as appropriate.

I used this method for several reasons:

1.  My Macs are not dependant on the LMCE machine to connect to the Internet
2.  I had trouble getting the LMCE port forwarding to work properly when using the internal network which made Bitorrent downloads a pain.
3.  As I had to specifically tell my Mac which folders could be publically accessible, it still would have required moving around the media in my Mac (or changing permissions)
4.  I just like having the media locally on the media PC.
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:52:48 am »
Geoffrey - I have main main desktop PC for the house on my internal network, and it is also where my main media share that LMCE uses is. I use this all the time for Bittorrent, works perfectly, no NAT issues and the BT client gets remote and locally initiated sessions happily. Was easy to set up, let me know if you want any help on it if you decide to try again.

Col.

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 09:21:10 am »
thanks.  it would still leave the issue of having my Mac internet access dependent on the LMCE machine.  Which in theory is not a problem.....but my LMCE PC has in the last week suddenly become very unstable again and is freezing/hanging often (several times a day)

I had been holding off on the upgrade to b4 because everything was working fine...but now I have problems again.  If the update fixes the issue, I will take you up on that offer...

the NAT problem was interesting though.  From my end, everything worked fine, meaning I could DL,  from the trackers side, it always showed me as 'not connectable'  and although I had forwarded both tcp and udp to the mac on the internal network from the admin page, my torrent client always showed the port as 'stealth'  The macs firewall was in this arrangement, off.

but we will see what happens today
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
WinTV PVR-150 MCE

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:32:58 am »
well, seems like my core is behaving again with b4 so I would be interested to know how you set up your network to get the LMCE machine to recognize/catalog the media on your Mac. (And is this possible from the external network or must I do it from the internal)
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
WinTV PVR-150 MCE