Author Topic: GSD/Ruby Developers Conferences  (Read 39849 times)

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
GSD/Ruby Developers Conferences
« on: April 05, 2008, 07:06:31 pm »
I'd like to host a GSD/Ruby Developer's conference.  Some topics I'd like to cover are:

1.  How Ruby is embedded
2.  The cmd object
3.  The device_ hash
4.  Sending/Receiving Commands
5.  Sending/Receiving Events
6.  Commands/Events of interest
7.  How and WHY to send a command to yourself
8.  cmd.Param_[120] Retransmit
9.  Command Types (Command/Event/etc)
10.  Command Interceptors and how to use them in Ruby
11.  Sending User Feedback
12.  Asking the User a Question

This may be a bit much, but we'll try to focus on the basics first, then move on to the more advanced items.

I'd like to do this via teleconference and webcast (so people can see how I do it)

If you are interested in this, please reply here.  If there's enough interest, I'll set a date, and we'll go with it.

All the best,

Dan Damron
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:35:00 pm by ddamron »
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Developers Conference
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:22 am »
Dan,

very interesting. Also, if there is a way to record the webcast for those who won't be able to attend, it would be marvellous.

Sam

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: Ruby Developers Conference
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:17:01 pm »
Hi sam.

Yes, I'll try to arrange something for that.

There's a lot of ground to be covered in the above list.  I'm going to break them down into different webcasts.
My goal is to have something FUNCTIONAL by the end of each webcast.

Here's the schedule of events:

1.  GSD/Ruby 101 - Topic: Your First GSD/Ruby Device.

We will create a fully functioning GSD/Ruby Device.
No prerequisites required.

2.  DCE 101 - Topic: DCE  Commands/Events

This webcast will concentrate on the vast DCE commands and how to implement them. 
This will be a good primer for ANYONE wanting to get into development. (regardless of the language)
No prerequisites required, but GSD/Ruby 101 recommended.

3.  Ruby 101 - Topic: Ruby Tutorial

This webcast will concentrate specifically on the Ruby Programming Language, it's structure, and it's OO nature.
(You will see here why we say Ruby is leaps and bounds ahead of C++ in OO implementation)

No prerequisites required.  This tutorial will be EXTERNAL to LinuxMCE for ease of demonstration.

4.  Advanced GSD/Ruby 201 - Topic: ThreadedRuby
This webcase will concentrate on my current ThreadedRuby Project.  I will step through it's structure, it's classes, and it's methods
This code demonstrates Object Encapsulation and Polymorphism.

Prerequisites: Ruby 101, GSDRuby 101

Now, I have 2 ideas for GSD/Ruby 101.  The first is to pull weather data down from theweathernetwork.com, but displaying the data to the user is a bit tricky,
The other idea is to write a 'DCE Command Prompt', accessible via an RS232 port connected with a null modem cable to another computer.

Both are a bit complex..  The problem here is we are dealing with the outside world, and not everyone will have the same device to talk to.

If anyone has any suggestions on a simple easy project to implement GSD(tcp or serial), let me know.

Regards,

Dan Damron
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 10:02:13 pm by ddamron »

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: GSD/Ruby Developers Conferences
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 10:44:31 pm »
Hi,

more and more conferences - that's something really positive. But we have no convenient option/architecture to have them.

I thought what if we would use our own Asterisk servers and conference rooms ?  We already have buttons like call "LMCE user" (not sure if functional)... Also there is interesting project for web collaboration based on Asterisk - VMukti...

Regards,

Bulek....
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:09:25 am »
The other idea is to write a 'DCE Command Prompt', accessible via an RS232 port connected with a null modem cable to another computer.
With a serial interface that would allow the hopelessly defensive Crestron and AMX programmers to interface to DCE they could apply their UI's and hardware to an LMCE system. Just make enough commands available that they can do a little. This is training wheels for the Luddites.

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:55:46 am »
With a serial interface that would allow the hopelessly defensive Crestron and AMX programmers to interface to DCE they could apply their UI's and hardware to an LMCE system. Just make enough commands available that they can do a little. This is training wheels for the Luddites.

LMAO, That's great!

Heh, wouldn't that just be the selling point... Compatible with LMCE!!!

That was just an idea, if anyone has another suggestion, I'm still brainstorming for a 'project'

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:20:58 am »
Ok, I've writ the GSD/Ruby test project.  It took me all of 15 minutes this AM, but I'm sure it will take a bit longer online.

I have also sorted out the Video capturing.  TSCHAK has pointed me to the proper direction for the conference.  I'm ready to move on the first of these conferences.

GSD/Ruby 101 - Test project: Serial DCE Command Interface.

Date and time to be determined soon.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 07:09:35 pm »
Just stating again that I am looking forward to this conference and would like to add my name to that list.

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:22:30 pm »
Hi all
just my 0,02 ...

I think it may be useful to open a dedicated section on the wiki in which store and organize all the recorded seminar that may occur in the future or that have been already held.

I am stronlgy interested in GSD development as shortly (and hopefully) I should start writing a driver for my new house lighting system, but I'm also extremely busy with my job now and I cannot be sure that I will be attending to all planned conferences. So having a "conference library" would help me quite a lot.

And generally speaking I think that this kind of resource could dramatically speed up the learning curve for all those are wanting to jump in, willing to get their hands dirty but not really knowing from where to start.

Any thoughts?

Regards
MarcoZan

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:38:33 pm »
I am interested in coding a device which sits and looks for motion in rooms, then turns lights on and off according to day/night, house status, media playing status, user in room, whether it is already on, etc. While this is almost possible using an advanced respond to events command it is not possible to reset timers so the light will go on and off periodically when the room is occupied for more than the switch-off delay period.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 07:47:23 pm »
MarcoZan,  for the recordings that are being made/have been made I agree that this is a good idea.  I know that we've posted meeting minutes before, but I have not seen any posted recordings yet.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 09:26:50 pm »
Hi,

thanks guys for great help for all others....

If I may add an idea, on few places on Wiki there is possibility of making more complex event handlers in Ruby possible.

I'd kindly ask if anyone knows more about this - if it is usable right now - if yes, than it would be great to teach people how to make those event handlers... If not possible, then it would be great to make skeleton for external Ruby application that would connect to DCERouter and receive/respond to various commands/events/data...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 10:39:51 pm »
If I may add an idea, on few places on Wiki there is possibility of making more complex event handlers in Ruby possible.

This fits in nicely with what I'm after!

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 09:47:05 pm »
Hi,

I'd kindly ask if anyone knows more about this - if it is usable right now - if yes, than it would be great to teach people how to make those event handlers... If not possible, then it would be great to make skeleton for external Ruby application that would connect to DCERouter and receive/respond to various commands/events/data...

Regards,

Bulek.

Bulek, I'll add that to the DCE 101 Outline.  It's possible right now, (from a round about way)

in a nutshell, you need to register a message interceptor. (there's a good wiki on that)
Now, to do it in Ruby, you can't actually use the cmd object... so what you need to do is:

system("/usr/pluto/bin/SendMessage .....")

to register the interceptor, then the messages will be sent accordingly.

HTH,

Dan

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 11:41:23 pm »
Hi,

Regards,

Bulek.

Bulek, I'll add that to the DCE 101 Outline.  It's possible right now, (from a round about way)

in a nutshell, you need to register a message interceptor. (there's a good wiki on that)
Now, to do it in Ruby, you can't actually use the cmd object... so what you need to do is:

system("/usr/pluto/bin/SendMessage .....")

to register the interceptor, then the messages will be sent accordingly.

HTH,

Dan

Hi,

thanks for info.. I thought that maybe this is more closely integrated - like GSD is, so one can have few predefined things to work with....

Regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.