Author Topic: Anyone else excited about Hauppauge's new HD PVR  (Read 4185 times)

guisep

• View Profile

tthaulow

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else excited about Hauppauge's new HD PVR
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:47:57 am »
Anyone who has looked at this box by now?

It lookes like a long awaited functionality in regions like Norway where the digital TV signals (terrestrial og cable) don't work with regular TV-cards. (The signals are either mpeg4 or encrypted - so no TV on my LMCE  >:( ).
The question is -will it work under LMCE?
amd64, asus A8N-SLI, 2gb ram, 500gb sata ++, nvidia 6800.
TV: Sony KDV-50E2010
nad 761 DD/DTS reciever via SPDIF

tafypz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 05:21:47 pm »
It would have to be supported by mythtv first.
Given the fact that this will probably be implemented in the mythtv trunk (0.22) and the 0.21-fixes branch.
I would think that this will be most likely not available in linuxmce until it uses mythtv 0.21...

gyrobt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:40:01 am »
Not likely that MythTV will support, thus not likely that LMCE will support it. Probably the same as the other HD solutions such as HVR-1250, HVR-1600, and HVR-1800. All are good cards, but currently only the ATSC works. This is why I may be getting a dated PVR-150 before this. Even if it only has 9-months of TV. I don't watch antenna much, mostly internet TV and DVDs.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:51:24 am »
the unit will be supported. I can't say anything more than this.

-Thom

shortydigital

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:05:28 pm »
This device claims that you can record HD content on a regular DVD for play back in a blue ray player. How is that possible. Is it cause of the encoding ( h.264). if so , why aren't all hd dvds compressed the same and put on "regular" dvds. I'd think that quality has to suffer, I',m confused. Also notice 1080i support  but not 1080p.

NikAmi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:11:27 am »
This device claims that you can record HD content on a regular DVD for play back in a blue ray player. How is that possible. Is it cause of the encoding ( h.264). if so , why aren't all hd dvds compressed the same and put on "regular" dvds. I'd think that quality has to suffer, I',m confused. Also notice 1080i support  but not 1080p.

It is possible because all that is needed of the player is the ability to decode the h.264 stream. The reason that we need HD DVDs and Blu-ray is because they can hold waaaaaaaaaay more information than regular DVDs. Using a dual layer DVD, you could probably get 20 minutes of HD video at a bit rate that is watchable. With a single layer Blu-ray, you could get an hour at a higher bit rate.