Author Topic: b5 or final anytime soon?  (Read 4322 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
b5 or final anytime soon?
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:15:19 am »
I know I know, nobody knows for sure when it will be ready, but generally there are some people here that have a rough idea when the next release is expected.  I just received the hardware for my core/md today, or at least everything but the video card.  I'm downloading beta 4 now, but I'd hate to install it now if a new beta or the final is expected in the next week or so.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: b5 or final anytime soon?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:49:06 pm »
I'm guessing that no response after 50+ views means an update is not coming in the immediate future.  My video card arrived today, so I went ahead and started the install. 

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:58:26 am »
I have seen several comments on the forums and mantis saying that RC1 was going to be released "this week" - that was the end of last week, so I'm assuming it is "imminent"!

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:13:59 am »
I think we're reluctant to say without any real final word ourselves.  It is close, but I would recommend just installing the latest and getting used to it a little bit.  If it shows up tomorrow... well, upgrade :)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:21:26 am »
Just trying to avoid downtime since it acts as my DHCP server and gateway to the Internet for my work computer and I work from home.  I may see if there is a way for my WAP to give out DHCP for wireless only, in which case I can separate work from LMCE and not worry about it.

I also hate downloading and burning a DVD, not very many left, but I guess they are cheap enough I can just make a run to the store and not worry about that either.

Either way, I'm working through the install now.  A bit frustrating in that neither my TV (Hitachi) nor my TV provider (DirecTV) are valid options during the install wizard, and it defaults to DHCP for the primary NIC without giving me an option for entering static IPs...  Not sure what else I'll find, I'm just getting started.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:42:33 am »
If you are using the, as designed, two NIC set up, then if your AP is on the external network it won't matter whether it is giving out DHCP leases, they will not cross the LMCE core onto the internal network anyway. In fact it is better that it does this as then the core can get its external IP address from your AP...

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:20:57 am »
If you are using the, as designed, two NIC set up, then if your AP is on the external network it won't matter whether it is giving out DHCP leases, they will not cross the LMCE core onto the internal network anyway. In fact it is better that it does this as then the core can get its external IP address from your AP...
That is basically the way I want to set it up, and eventually will.  Unfortunately I only have one network connection where the core/md hybrid needs to be for now, so until I finish my basement (including lots of cat5 runs) and get everything moved to it's final home I'm stuck with a one nic setup.

The external nic will still have a static IP as I plan to bend the rules just a tad and run my DNS/e-mail/web server on the core as well.  In fact, my current one-nic desktop is also a core/md hybrid and serves up DNS and e-mail (web site is down at the moment 'cause I didn't want to get into configuring virtual websites on something I knew was temporary).

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:04:18 pm »
Thanks for the update on b5 / rc1.  Are we thinking final by the end of April?
joseph