Author Topic: Sound issues on MD [SOLVED] Kinda ;)  (Read 2661 times)

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Sound issues on MD [SOLVED] Kinda ;)
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:58:56 am »
Hi all,
I have been playing around with Pluto, then linuxmce 7.04 for about a year now, mainly using the core as a DHCP server/gateway/proxy/content filter for my home network. Well now I have a new house that I have wired for whole house audio, bought a new MC200 (mini-itx via mobo). I have gotten it to network boot, updated the openchrome drivers, gone through the av wizard (the test audio works) and everything seems to be fine. The problem I am having is when I go into the orbiter, select audio, select an mp3 (all living on the core in /home/public/data/audio), hit play, it just returns to the select screen. I have tried playing the mp3s from command line like mplayer xxxxxx.mp3 and it plays fine. Is there a log somewhere I can look at to see what is happening? Or is there any way to troubleshoot this?

I did make a change to the /etc/fstab. I changed the mount option for /home from cifs to NFS. I did that because (and I had this problem with Pluto too) when mounted using cifs, I only see 1 directory in /home/public/data/audio its something like _235xxxx and it holds .id3 files and I can't see any other folders. If I use NFS it sees everything. Could it be a database issue?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Dothedog
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:10:53 am by dothedog »

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sound issues on MD [SOLVED] Kinda ;)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:22:02 am »
One other thing that may or may not be related. I had to mess with users between moving from pluto to linuxmce. In any event, I noticed that I needed to add my username to the "audio" group in order to play a mp3 without doing a sudo mplayer. Does anyone know what user the MD runs as?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:10:22 am by dothedog »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Sound issues on MD
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 10:49:58 am »
Hi all,
I have been playing around with Pluto, then linuxmce 7.04 for about a year now, mainly using the core as a DHCP server/gateway/proxy/content filter for my home network. Well now I have a new house that I have wired for whole house audio, bought a new MC200 (mini-itx via mobo). I have gotten it to network boot, updated the openchrome drivers, gone through the av wizard (the test audio works) and everything seems to be fine. The problem I am having is when I go into the orbiter, select audio, select an mp3 (all living on the core in /home/public/data/audio), hit play, it just returns to the select screen. I have tried playing the mp3s from command line like mplayer xxxxxx.mp3 and it plays fine. Is there a log somewhere I can look at to see what is happening? Or is there any way to troubleshoot this?

I did make a change to the /etc/fstab. I changed the mount option for /home from cifs to NFS. I did that because (and I had this problem with Pluto too) when mounted using cifs, I only see 1 directory in /home/public/data/audio its something like _235xxxx and it holds .id3 files and I can't see any other folders. If I use NFS it sees everything. Could it be a database issue?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Dothedog

Did you install LAME on your MD? Just ssh to it and install lame;

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install lame <return>
Now back in the Orbiter and try playing mp3's again.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sound issues on MD [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:48:12 am »
totallymaxed, Thanks for the reply. After getting some help from guys on the irc channel, I just bit the bullet and installed 0710B4 on a separate hard drive. It took a bit to get squid and dansguardian running again, and getting my iptables working etc. however, it seems to have fixed the problem. I can play music, watch video etc. on the MD now. Thanks to tkmedia, bmac2 and the rest of the guys for your help!

Dothedog