Author Topic: Feature Request - Netflix WatchNow Support  (Read 18070 times)

jammastercd

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Feature Request - Netflix WatchNow Support
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:56:37 pm »
I've been reading a lot about development for support of the Netflix WatchNow capability on Windows MCE.  In fact, I think there are currently three different development efforts for this type of feature.  This would be a great addition to LinuxMCE also.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request - Netflix WatchNow Support
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:18:46 pm »
I agree this would be something I would like to see in the future as well. After the core packages have settled though.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:24:49 pm »
The problem is DRM.  Unfortunately, a native Linux implementation of WatchNow is very unlikely.

tafypz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 07:27:50 pm »
As mentioned by the previous poster this is a DRM issue.
Also the watch it now feature of netflix is tied to MSIE.
It will not even run on a windows machine using Firefox...

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:14:32 pm »
Ah yes, I remember having that issue in FF.  That is very unfortunate.  One more reason to hate DRM I guess.

jtgamble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 12:00:12 am »
I seem to recall somebody getting WatchNow to work with firefox by using a plugin that told the accessed page you were using IE instead...you can also use IETabs for firefox. As of now, the only way to get WatchNow working on a linux machine is to run a VM with Windows in it. Unfortunately, its not the most elegant solution. I'm actually trying to do this with my PS3 at the moment, which is a huge pain, but should be awesome once I get it working :)

There is also the possibility that WatchNow will work once somebody finishes a Silverlight port for linux, which was announced almost a year ago by Mono, but doesn't seem to have gone anywhere  :-\. Here's hoping something gets done soon.

nomad513

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:50:39 pm »
Well if the Netflix WatchNow is not possible directly through LinuxMCE, would it be possible to make it work using the new set-top box by Roku and have it connected to the core.

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:32:55 pm »
All you have to do for that, is have your IR transciever (I use a UIRT, most recommended!), learn the Roku remote, while creating a device template for the Roku device to be a generic player device. Would be about 20 minutes of work for someone who had the box and proper IR control.

-Thom

perspectoff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:31:40 pm »
I seem to recall somebody getting WatchNow to work with firefox by using a plugin that told the accessed page you were using IE instead...you can also use IETabs for firefox. As of now, the only way to get WatchNow working on a linux machine is to run a VM with Windows in it. Unfortunately, its not the most elegant solution. I'm actually trying to do this with my PS3 at the moment, which is a huge pain, but should be awesome once I get it working :)

There is also the possibility that WatchNow will work once somebody finishes a Silverlight port for linux, which was announced almost a year ago by Mono, but doesn't seem to have gone anywhere  :-\. Here's hoping something gets done soon.

Novell announced download of Moonlight available May 2008:

http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »
 :)
I use the Roku NetFlix player in my LMCE system at home. (Soon to be 2 of them) I have it connected to a pvr150 card, and it has a "Live TV" device entry I call "Netflix Player" inside LMCE. Thom is correct, if you have a USB-UIRT (and everyone should) you simply learn the codes, and bang, in less than 10 minutes, you are watching your Roku box on all your MD's!!

I have a template for it that I will upload to "the collective" and if you get the updates, your template will already be there.

It is then the simple matter of going to netflix.com and setting up your instant queue.

Under the control of LMCE and the USB-UIRT, it's just like having on-demand movies. And you don't have to wait 3 days or go stand in line with your Ghostbuster's 1 and 2 DVD's :)

Just buy one, you can have 4 on an account, and if you are on the $8.99/month plan or better, you are only limited by the time you have.......

Regards,  (-Now go buy one-)

Seth

P.S. Get the cable set they offer for an additional $19.99, you can't even get a HDMI cable for that, and it's part of the deal, you can never have enough cables..........

laters.
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 06:16:12 pm »
nice tip - I'm going to order me one!

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
 :)
I have added a howto and some basic information on the Roku Netflix Player to the wiki

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Roku_Netflix_Player

This includes howto get it set up in LMCE as well as the required pronto codes, in case you do not have the learning ability of the USB-UIRT (but you should....)

I think you will find it will give you full functionality, I use mine just about every evening, catching up on all those classics, and slowly freeing up precious hard disk space, by removing movies, that I can now get on demand.

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:40:53 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:26:26 am »
Seth--

Great work putting this together.  I've committed the template to the sqlCVS server, so once it's approved, everyone should have access to it.

http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=4268

Thanks a lot for the help.
-Pete

tailspower2001

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 11:38:03 pm »
Crossover Linux has an free trial so why not try that 1st; although I don't Netflix I can't see any resaone  why it sound be Windows only; wean BitTorrnet and Unbox is supported buy PS3, X-BOX 360, TVIO, and it looks like Apple TV is coming.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 07:48:50 pm »
Roku is going open source.  This may allow LinuxMCE get a hold of the code it intigrate Netflix video on demand applications.

Check it out here:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2932