Author Topic: Better driver support for WPA Wifi-nics on the DT366 Webpad Orbiter  (Read 6256 times)

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,

as i do not like the idea of having a WEP "Secured" Wireless LAN, i would love to see some additional support other than the build-in Cisco Aironet 350 as this one just supports WEP, NO WPA.

Just a thought...

P.
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Better driver support for WPA Wifi-nics on the DT366 Webpad Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:33:27 am »
Did you have particular driver in mind. You might find that it is already there.

I bought some cheap adapters and had to compile a driver for that - the problem is that there is not much space on the device. I have to remove a whole lot of stuff, install source and compiler, build the module and then install the compiled module on a fresh install.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:36:31 am »
you can also use debootstrap to prepare a chroot for debian sid on the core and compile the stuff there. No need to install gcc and such on the webdt..

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 04:10:51 pm »
...I bought some cheap adapters...

Were you able to find an 802.11g adapter with the mmcx connector? The only one I could find was the Ubiquiti and those run $100+ :(

I guess I could just let a stock antenna stick out, but I'd rather a seamless integration.

:Matt

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:51:58 pm »
i wouldn't mind to get rid of the antenna. I own a netgear 511, 3Com Xjack, ZCom 325HP+ etc. All the Stuff flying in my techi-boxes ;O) So i wouldn't mind to just plug in the pcmcia card w/o the antenna or the mmcx connector.
@Hari, you mentioned your workaround to me once, but honestly... i sucked ;O)
Maybe one of the more skilled might create a wiki page for the driver compiling with debootstrap?
And my be, the compiled drivers might go into the builder, so that one can pick the drivers via the web frontend. If everybody could compile the hardware they have lying around, we might get a bunch of HW-Support together.

Just an idea...

Patrick
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 01:55:52 am »
...I bought some cheap adapters...

Were you able to find an 802.11g adapter with the mmcx connector? The only one I could find was the Ubiquiti and those run $100+ :(

I guess I could just let a stock antenna stick out, but I'd rather a seamless integration.

:Matt
No they just stick out the top. It is actually not that bad. I guess it depends what you want to pay for. These cards were $7.95 (AU) each so can't be too fussy. Like I said had to comile a driver for them and play with a few different firmwares but they work. Their range seems to be far less than the standard Aironet one though :(

Hari's option for debootstrap is a far better option for compiling the drivers.