Author Topic: MythTV's Internal Guide  (Read 3101 times)

Bodyhat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
MythTV's Internal Guide
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:02:22 pm »
Hi,

I'm having the exact issue from the first part of grepico's post: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4157.0

It seems that when I change the channel via the guide in MythTV I get snow. I can use the cable box remote without any issues but I have to have it on MythTv's channel 3. The issue arises when I try to schedule a recording it only records snow. Do I really need the USBUIRT in order for MythTV's internal guide to change my cable box channels when I just want to watch tv and record a show?

Grepico's thread seems to taper off into another topic and didn't really give a resolution on this issue. Thanks

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV's Internal Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:17:22 pm »
There are three ways MythTV can control your cable box:
  IR: Use something like the USB-UIRT/gc100
  Serial: Create a template in web admin for your box if it doesn't already exist
  Firewire: MythTV supports this, but not LinuxMCE (so only MythTV "LiveTV" will work).

IR will always work, serial and firewire only work if the box supports it.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:37:10 pm »
when you try to record are you recording channel 3?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Bodyhat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:52:15 pm »
when you try to record are you recording channel 3?
Yeah I was playing around and recording shows this morning and when I used MythTV’s guide to record a show it would only record snow. I had to stay on MythTv’s channel 3 and use my Comcast remote to change it to the channel of the program I wanted to record/watch. Then record channel 3 on Mythtv. Then and only then would it record the intended show, but I found that really impractical.

@ danielk

Thanks for the information. And all I have to do is connect the USBUIRT to my linuxmce core and Mythtv would be able to change the channel on my Comcast box in mythtv’s guide?

A side question I can’t see another TV when I’m recording…is that attributed to the fact that I only have one tuner card?

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:50:14 pm »
What I found is that once I installed the cable box as a device in LMCE, Myth kind of "figured out" that the box is where the channel gets changed.

You do have to have some type of controller for the cable box (UIRT, Serial, etc.)  Once I got the box and UIRT setup then asked Myth to change the channel, the actual tuner card stayed on channel 3 and the cable box changed to the channel I wanted.

On a side note:  There is considerable lag using the UIRT to control the cable box (1-2 seconds between the time I push the channel up button and the channel actually changing)  my box doesn't have the serial connector so I don't know if that method is faster.

Although I haven't tried it, I don't believe you can record one channel and watch another with this configuration as the channel is being controlled by the cable box and the box can only tune one channel at a time.

Hope this helped.