Author Topic: Network is unreachable (Was Cannot initialize plug-in...)  (Read 13536 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network is unreachable (Was Cannot initialize plug-in...)
« on: November 26, 2005, 12:49:26 am »
Obviously, I'm new here.  I'm trying to find a package to begin managing a couple things at home.  The first 2 targets will be security (exiting Caddx NX-8E with the NX-540 automation card) and thermostats (I plan to buy HAI Omnistats soon).  Someone suggested Pluto home.  

I downloaded the image yesterday.  My main system runs Windows, and I can't change it right now, so I'm trying to install just the core on a spare laptop.  I realize this is pretty minimal, but I'm hoping it will be enough to get me started and then I can decide on an upgrade path later.  

The install appears to go ok, but when it's done I am not able to get to the admin screen via a web browser.  It times out.  I then try rebooting.  When it comes up, I get a flashing red message DCERouter status: "not responding on socket. Probably dead".  When I look at the log I see an error message saying "Cannot initialize plug-in for device: 13".  I tried some searches, but I can't determine what is device 13, what's wrong with it, or if that's even the cause of the problem.

Can anyone help?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:05:58 am »
I had the same message whan first insatalling build .32, after checking the MD5 sum was good I burnt a new CD at a slower speed (24x) and was able to complete a good install from this CD.

HTH
Russell

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:54:58 pm »
Thanks Russel.  I'll try burning a new CD.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:53:44 pm »
Well, the new CD helped.  The error 13 is gone.  However, I still can't get to the admin web page.  When I try pinging anything on my network it says "Network is unreachable".

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 04:47:11 pm »
Perhaps I should give up on Pluto and work on Misterhouse instead. :(

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:56:29 am »
piper_chuck     
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2005 11:53    Post subject:
Well, the new CD helped. The error 13 is gone. However, I still can't get to the admin web page. When I try pinging anything on my network it says "Network is unreachable".

Hi,
how many nic cards are you having?
sounds like a network problem ...
please provide more info about your installation, hybrid or core?
if the network is unreachable we cannot enter with remote assistance to help you

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:37:28 am »
Quote from: "piper_chuck"
Perhaps I should give up on Pluto and work on Misterhouse instead. :(

Hi,

don't give up, it'll pay you off at the end. BTW, you don't need to choose between MH and Pluto - you can use them both - search forums for 'misterhouse'...

I'm going through similar story....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 01:53:42 pm »
Rob, thanks for the support.  I guess I'll work on the 2 things in parallel.  Fortunately, I can run MH on a Windows machine that I know is working right.  

Dan, the laptop I'm installing on has a small hard drive so I went minimal and only installed the core.  I also said no to DHCP because I need to keep DHCP in my router right now.  The laptop only has one NIC.  I agree it sounds like a network problem.

When it comes up I get an IP address in the 24.25.5. range, does that sound right?  I can ping that address from other computers at home, but when I ping from the laptop it fails.  I don't see the laptop in the router's list of DCHP clients.

I've considered installing a standard Linux distribution just to see if that would work.  

Update after typing the above.  The address the laptop is coming up with is that of the roadrunner DNS.  This doesn't seem right.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 05:22:11 pm »
I did a bit of research and found some tips saying it's almost certainly a routing problem.  

"If you get 'Network is unreachable' messages when you try to access the network, then the routing information specified in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts is incorrect. This exact message is an absolutely foolproof indication of a routing error. On the other hand, mis-configured cards will usually fail silently."

I'll check into it tonight.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:53:24 am »
Still no luck.  Well, no GOOD luck!  :(   I tried a bunch of different things.  I can't get Linux to talk to the network.  I tried enabling DHCP in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  Didn't work.  Tried coding a static IP address, didn't work.  No matter what I change, it's just not willing to talk to anyone else.  

The odd thing is the network card seems to work just fine during install.  Can someone confirm that things are downloaded during install?  Once the install is finished it seems Linux gets dumb and forgets how to talk to the network.

Anyway, I'm trying one last install.  Once it's finished I'll try enabling DHCP one more time.  The installs are easy, it's not like I've been able to customize anything yet.  It takes clock time, but I can do other things, such as working on my Misterhouse configuration, while it's running.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 02:58:33 am »
I also just noticed that during install it's got an address from DHCP in the router.  Ping from one of my other machines to this address works.  It's obvious that the card works, and that Linux has the necessary drivers, but something is messed up when the install is finished.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 04:28:53 am »
Anyone have any ideas?  I've reinstalled and set dhcp to yes in the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file.  Still not working.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 03:22:11 pm »
Guess not.  Oh well.  I'm off to get a full distribution of Linux and see if that works.  Maybe I'll give Pluto another try sometime later.  Meanwhile, if anyone's got an idea on what was wrong with the Pluto distribution, send me a PM.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 04:36:44 pm »
Sorry for not answering before. I only now found some time to go through my stack of assigned topics.

If you can ping the DHCP-assigned address from your network (i.e. you get replies back) then networking is working on that laptop.

You sound like the DHCP server on your network gives the 24.25.5.x IP to the laptop so it has to be correct, right? It should give network unreachable since you can ping it. You don't say what your network configuration is. You have a DHCP server that assigns... 24.25.5.x (i.e. routable) IP addresses? Parameters go like this: Gateway, Netmask (I can compute the network address from this in my head), DNS, IP range the DHCP server assigns to your network.

Also see what "ip route" and "ip addr" say and post that here (if you're still with us that is...)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 05:05:31 pm »
Hi, the router is configured to give back 192.168.1.1xx addresses.  When I brought up the Pluto machine, it did not appear in the router's DHCP list, although I recall seeing it there at some point during the install.  The address Pluto seems to have gotten hung up on is the DNS address.  The reason I can ping this address from other machines on my network is not because networking is working on the Pluto machine, but because the DNS is running, at my ISP.  

Anyway, at this point I've tried another Linux distribution, Fedora.  Came up first try, got a 192.168.1.1nn address, and all networking is fine.  This helps me know that there's not a problem in my network, laptop, or with Linux support for this machine.  It must be something in the Linux configuration for Pluto.  Note, I'm just trying to isolate the problem, not trying to place blame. :D

I can't give you ip route or addr info since Pluto's not longer there.  From memory, ip addr showed no address for the eth0 interface.  I'd still like to get Pluto running, at some point in the future I'd like to start building a media center.  However, I need a fix for the networking problem before I can go any further.