Author Topic: Samsung DLP TV's  (Read 3105 times)

Zxarr

• View Profile
Samsung DLP TV's
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:17:03 am »
I am looking at a Samsung HL-T5076S for my 'main' TV in a LinuxMCE setup.  This TV (and two PC's I already own) will be the start of LinuxMCE for me.  I noticed that it has both a USB and a serial connection on the back.  Has anyone out there gotten LinuxMCE to control the TV via either the USB or serial connections?

Thanks!

sfalcon1

• View Profile
Re: Samsung DLP TV's
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:17:37 am »
I will probably try in the next few weeks. . . I have the hlt-5676-s  It says its a maintenance port but I read somewhere that the port can work.   

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »
Hi guys ,

be VERY carefull , from what I've read these sort of ports are usually for maintainance only, so may not be wired as per standard....i.e worst case you could have a  fubar'd tv with no warranty, best case  you wind up back with IR. I think you need to look for RS232C (control ?)  in manufacturers spec,

Fyi  I've just got a Sharp Aquos Lc46X20 and it's BRILLIANT , tho not quite plug and play as some would have you believe,
 ALSO   1)  be aware that not all models have the rs232c on them , check with supplier... i made it a condition of purchase.
           2) make sure you have a cross wired serial cable  (null modem cable) to hand, I'm using an old "laplink " cable which seems to work
regards,
Ian

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:02:41 pm »
Mine came with the Rs-232 codes to control the TV.  Haven't implemented it yet.  The USB is for service on newer samsungs.