Author Topic: Audio Out problems with 0710 Beta 3 - trying to get S/PDIF to work all the time.  (Read 2800 times)

lightkeeper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Having some issues with audio - its partly working.  Any help in troubleshooting how to get all the audio to route out the S/PDIF(TOS) connector would be appreciated.

1. Some stuff works ok:  Sound works through S/PDIF(TOS) output from LinuxMCE into Home Theater Receiver only for Live TV, DVDs, and Videos in LinuxMCE memory (recorded TV shows and ripped DVDs)
2. Some stuff uses wrong output:  KDE Desktop Ararok player only gives sound through a test speaker I have plugged into line out jack on LinuxMCE Mobo
3. Some stuff dosen't work at all:  Using Orbiter to play Linux MCE Audio results in no sound out.

I wonder if this can be related to an anomoly I noticed in the LinuxMCE setup wizard (the initial one with the green background)?:
Steps of the Wizard for audio:
AV Audio Connector - I select S/PDIF(TOS)
AV Audio Volume - I hear no sound. (seems odd to me that there was no sound)
AV Dolby Test - I hear the music
AV DTS Test - I hear no sound.

To get sound working for TV capture card - had to add cx88-dvb and cx88-alsa to /etc/modules
- after reboot used KDE desktop > MythTV Backend Setup  to set capture card to DVB0 with audio /dev/dsp1

I would like to be able to have all audio route out the S/PDIF connector.
Must be missing some settings or configurations I guess.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------

System:
LinuxMCE - 0710 Beta 3 - LinuxMCE Install DVD for I386 - 0710 Beta 3 and installed from DVD

Motherboard Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Green nVIDIA Socket Am2 ATX
(8-channel High-Definition Audio is provided by an ADI 1988B chip;)
S/PDIF optical cable from MOBO S/PDIF out to Home Theater Receiver S/PDIF in.
small test speaker plugged into MOBO line out to help see whats going on

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0 GHz
Memory 8096MB Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Video Card -  GIGABYTE GV-NX85T256H GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 
Hard Drive  - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD - SAMSUNG SH203N SATA
HD-5500 Hi Definition Television PCI Card - pchdtv

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
- To get the latest fixes I would recommend you to upgrade to beta5 or RC1 (not sure the exact name), which will be released on this week. This should make "DTS test" work, and I suggest you to continue tests with it.

- The ALSA output device (virtual) for writing to the SPDIF should be "asym_spdif", so try putting it in the Amarok configuration settings (LinuxMCE itself doesn't use Amarok, so you should configure it manually - http://opensusenewbie.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-get-amarok-and-kaffeine-to.html , but use "asym_spdif" instead of "plug:spdif").

Regarding #3 - don't know yet, please retest it after upgrading.