Author Topic: Xine not playing the correct audio channel. Solution?  (Read 4199 times)

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Xine not playing the correct audio channel. Solution?
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:43:46 am »
Hello,

I have a few mkv files with both Chinese and English channels. I assume xine plays the default language, which is Chinese. However when I right click on the player and go to "Audio" -> "Channel" and select "eng", it continues to play in Chinese. After going mad for a few minutes, I decided to select "chi" and it finally decided to play in English  ??? I also installed VLC and tested. The Audio channels are correctly labeled "English" & "Chinese", and they are not crossed like on xine ("English" plays in English, and so on). Even more pleasant, VLC plays the English channel by default, not Chinese.

This definitely seems like a bug in xine, but even when/if gets fixed the best way around would be to have a Video Menu, like we have a DVD Menu inside the LinuxMCE interface. Do you guys agree?

Thanks,

Erasmo.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Xine not playing the correct audio channel. Solution?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:59:02 am »
the best way around would be to have a Video Menu, like we have a DVD Menu inside the LinuxMCE interface. Do you guys agree?

Yes :) There is mantis on this already: http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3836

Regarding this:
I have a few mkv files with both Chinese and English channels. I assume xine plays the default language, which is Chinese. However when I right click on the player and go to "Audio" -> "Channel" and select "eng", it continues to play in Chinese. After going mad for a few minutes, I decided to select "chi" and it finally decided to play in English  ???
Can you provide a sample file that has this error?

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:09:19 pm »
Awesome!!!  ;D I saw the change in Mantis. When is it expected out?

The file in question is 8G. I could provide you a torrent file though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:34:46 am by erasmix »

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:02:45 pm »
UPDATE:

I've tested the latest version of XINE on my Fedora box (which is seems a cpl releases newer than linuxMCE's), and it plays as desired. English by default, and the audio channels point correctly to Chinese and English respectively. Therefore it seems the quickest fix would be to embed the latest version of XINE onto the next release.

Regards,

Erasmo.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:04:35 pm »
The next release (or beta) will have xine-lib 1.1.10.1 - this should be new enough for this :)