Author Topic: Can't select CIFS instead of SMBFS....  (Read 1892 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Can't select CIFS instead of SMBFS....
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:45:16 pm »
I have had a number of issues in the past with both cifs and smbfs for connecting to a Windows share for all my media. The default of cifs successfully discovered my shares and populated the database with all my media, but refused to acknowledge that the share was online so I couldn't play the media (other than by search by name). When I switched to smbfs (after Zaerc's fix to the script) all came good immediately.

Subsequently, I started having issues where the core would seem to freeze whilst playing video media files (and DVDs as well from memory). I googled several people complaining about the same thing with smbfs in the general Linux community (Ubuntu, too I think) but they were from 2005. Didn't find any specific fix, but when I switched back to cifs, not only did it see the share as online, it fixed the freezing issue completely. I think I had upgraded to beta4 in the meantime and I assume that is what had fixed cifs.

I am currently set to smbfs again and am getting the freezing issue (happens every few minutes, randomly, and lasts for about 20 seconds, then continues) - BUT for some reason I just cannot switch back to cifs in the admin site! Everytime I change it, and reload the router, it switches back to smbfs!!

Has anybody got any ideas as to why this might be happening? What can I do to permanently switch to cifs??

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Can't select CIFS instead of SMBFS....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:00:52 am »
Strange! I tried again, but this time I typed cifs as CIFS. The upper case version seems to have stuck - didn't have to do this before, lower case was fine. It stayed as upper case after a reload. So I tried a reboot. It came back as cifs in lower case, but stays instead of reverting to smbfs....