Yesterday I finally got my LMCE running in UI2 with all bells and whistles. This is how I did:
1. Removed all partitions in the HD with a Win98 CD.
2. Installed LMCE with the DVD and selected:
b. Basic UI (UI1)
c. Analog stereo
LMCE installed fine. After rebooting, GRUB showed an "Error 18" and froze. After rebooting, I managed to open the GRUB menu and selected the first option - LMCE loaded fine in basic UI1. Then I selected the KDE Desktop and:
1. Opened the System Settings in Administrator Mode;
2. Selected Video Settings->Hardware;
3. Clicked the board's "Configure" button;
4. Selected the detected driver: "NVIDIA 8 Series";
5. Clicked the monitor's "Configure" button;
6. Selected the manufacturer and the closest model of mine's (LG L1740PQ);
7. Selected the 1024x768 resolution;
8. Applied the changes and rebooted.
After LMCE loaded I inspected its Video settings and noticed that it had changed from "nv" to "nvidia". Then I clicked the "Change resolution" button and, when the monitor entered the "power saving" mode after rebooting, I hit the "1" (DVI) key. The AVWizard loaded fine, in 640x480 mode. When prompted, I selected the "OpenGL with Alpha Blending" (UI2II) and waited for the crash. Surprisingly, LCME loaded fine, generated all orbiters, the UI2II loaded also fine, and now I'm watching my videos as I expected from the beginning. However, the fonts - both of LMCE and KDE - are very ugly (the KDE fonts are completely distorted and almost unreadable), but this is a problem I'll address next.
S. Paulo - Brazil