Author Topic: Developer Conference - April 5th  (Read 10583 times)

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Developer Conference - April 5th
« on: March 24, 2008, 05:42:32 am »
In an effort to get things a little more organized I would like to get everyone who has knowledge of the internals of LMCE (hari, ddamron, danielk, TSCHAK, bmac2, etc) and anyone else together for a couple of hours Saturday April 5th to start consolidating what we know and documenting things so that it's easier for more people to start developing. Ideally we'll come out of this with an overview of the different pieces of the system and how they relate to one another, how (and possibly why) the databases are setup, maybe a primer for new devs, and a better idea of just where we stand as a whole. I'll be getting together a list of specific topics that I want to have covered in the next few days, but I would definitely like everybody else's input as well. Please let me know anything that you feel is important to go over and anybody who feels that they can contribute, email me: elspic+lmcedev at gmail.com

Also, since hopefully we'll be coordinating several timezones, please let me know when would be best for everyone in GMT. Thanks all!
-elspic

aaron.b

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Developer Conference - April 5th
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:05:43 am »
I can join, and so can Chris and Razvan, also from Pluto.  I created the database schema, sqlcvs, sql2cpp, dce, dcerouter, HADesigner, the plugins, the packaging system and the earliest Orbiter.  Chris is our most senior C++ developer, working on it for 4 years, and he has been responsible for Orbiter since the early days, did the OpenGL, Symbian, Cisco ports, the screen saver, and most of the fixes to the framework over the past couple years.  Neither Chris nor I know that much about Linux internals, bash, etc.  Razvan does all that Linux work, including kernel patches, scripts, the installation and setup process, configuration, etc.  I am in GMT-8, Chris and Razvan are in GMT+2.  It seems that meetings around 16:00 GMT work well since that way it's close to normal working hours for the Americas and Europe. 

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:58:41 pm »
Thanks aaron, thats a great offer.

Devs, we should do our homework. Topics of interest go here..

Let's try to answer some questions by the community itself. We want to get most out of the time with the pluto devs on the phone.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:21:43 am »
I would be interested in this as well, especially with the Pluto devs online.
So if you can make it reasonably friendly for GMT+11 that would be good, understand that this might be hard :)

regards
Darren

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:50:28 am »
Ok, I'm in too.  I'm GMT-7 (I think) heh,

My expertise are limited to certain parts, Home automation and Ruby for example.  Don't know how much help I'll be, but I'll be there.

The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:16:56 pm »
Hi,

count me in also (GMT+1)....

Topics of interest from my point of view :
- Main DCERouter plugins and Floorplans : their behaviour, removing hardcoded stuff, how to make them more flexible for contributions
   (problems that needs to be addressed: easier addition of new devices, specifications of displayed controls, control of info being displayed, etc...)
   While reviewing plugins, some deeper docs can be generated....

- Dealing with 3rd party media players, multi zone audio etc...
   (support for 3rd party media players (creation of scenarios, etc...), proper concept of audio/video pipes, multi zone audio/video etc....

- Customizing Orbiters GUI (something that still scares me)
   (make everything translatable, as much as possible customizable, etc...)

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:18 pm »
Is there a conference method and official time set up yet for this?

Thanks,
-Peter

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:48:21 pm »
Since I haven't heard anything, I am offering up the conference line used for the HADesigner Workshop here:

for access numbers:

http://www.onconference.com/g800.php

conference code: 5184639#

-Thom

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »
Hi all,
I'm hoping to join this saturday as well. 
Tops of interest for me center around getting started in the effort and how the development structure goes.  Development setup overview, graduating code to the build etc.  I would also love to help with documentation afterwards.

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »
Will there be a presentation, screen or whiteboard sharing in addition to the voice call ?
Otherwise, we could consider using webex http://webex.com/
I might be able to help setting up the session if there is interest, depending on the expecter number of attendees.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 11:26:11 pm »
i would have, but i don't have a webex account. I do have one on dimdim though that can be used.

-Thom

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 11:42:58 pm »
Never played with dimdim but it looks nice.
If you need a webex session scheduled instead, let me know.

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 07:05:41 am »
hey guys, sorry I haven't been working on this as much as I've wanted, I've been applying to a couple of jobs and trying to get stuff together to show them as well as scrambling for rent this month. Thanks to thom for setting up the conference call. As far as a whiteboard, coccinella works better than anything I've found so far, is free and, has a client for linux, osx, and windows. http://thecoccinella.org/
It just takes a jabber account (other than gmail) so if we can get everyone on one jabber server, it would give us chat/whiteboard. I'll get one set up at http://buddha.homelinux.org after I get off of work tomorrow unless someone else knows of a good service (has anyone used ekiga?) -Ruben
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:55:08 am by elspic »

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 09:21:21 am »
Howdy,

I'd love to find any info on the db schema.  I think I've derived all of the table relationships from the sqlcvs (kudos on the naming convention!) but haven't started on the field validations.

Thank you,
Roy

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 03:22:31 pm »
I can setup a webex session as well, but i think that my account is limited to only 10 users.  looks like we have a good chance for more than that.