Author Topic: DVD Ripping question  (Read 13739 times)

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Ripping question
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 11:31:33 am »
On my gentoo workstation, I tried the dd and vlc work-arounds, but without any success.  The ddrescue did work in ripping the dvd to hard disk:

Roy, does the dd fails for you even with conv=noerror switch?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 04:46:01 pm »

On my gentoo workstation, I tried the dd and vlc work-arounds, but without any success. 

What version of vlc, what was the vlc command, and what movie or movies did not work?  If you don't remember the vlc version and command, but can give me the list of DVDs that failed I may have one of them or I may just buy one to test.

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 09:05:34 pm »
I was a little early on the ddrescue success announcement.  The rescued iso did play using kaffeine on my gentoo box.  I then moved the iso (and renamed it to .dvd) to my nfs server (using folderlock).  When I tried to play it from LMCE the previews played but when the disk got to the point of showing the dvd menu, LMCE reported "Cannot read DVD, disk is not readable or DVDCSS library is not installed".  The /var/log/pluto/22_Xine_Player.log (http://roy.wright.org/linuxmce/22_Xine_Player.log.bz2) has this error message, but I did not find any other hint as to the problem in the log file.

I'm still on LMCE 710 beta 3. 

The disk I'm using on this test is "Rush Hour 3" "New line 2-disc platinum series" ISBN 0-7806-5896-5.

On the dd attempt, it quickly read 133MB then kept repeating that much read.  After a couple of minutes I aborted it.  I've just started another and am going to let it run for a couple of hours (I have an appointment).  I'll report back on it when I return home.

Here's the vlc attempt:
Code: [Select]
$ vlc dvd:///dev/dvd2@1 --sout "#standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=rush3.dvd}"
*** glibc version with broken libintl detected. ***
*** Messages localization will be disabled.     ***
VLC media player 0.9.0-git Grishenko
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.0-git Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--disable-glide' '--enable-a52' '--disable-aa' '--enable-faad' '--enable-alsa' '--disable-altivec' '--enable-arts' '--disable-asademux' '--disable-bonjour' '--disable-fribidi' '--enable-cdda' '--enable-cddax' '--disable-libcddb' '--disable-libcdio' '--disable-csri' '--disable-daap' '--enable-dbus' '--enable-dbus-control' '--disable-dirac' '--disable-directfb' '--disable-dc1394' '--disable-debug' '--enable-dca' '--disable-dv' '--enable-dvb' '--enable-dvdread' '--enable-dvdplay' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-esd' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-flac' '--disable-fluidsynth' '--disable-galaktos' '--disable-ggi' '--enable-gnomevfs' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-hal' '--disable-httpd' '--disable-id3tag' '--disable-jack' '--disable-caca' '--enable-libgcrypt' '--disable-notify' '--disable-libtar' '--disable-lirc' '--enable-live555' '--disable-lua' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-mmx' '--disable-mod' '--enable-mad' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-mpc' '--disable-musicbrainz' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-mozilla' 'XPIDL=/usr/lib/seamonkey' 'MOZILLA_CONFIG=/usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey-config' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-glx' '--enable-opengl' '--disable-optimize-memory' '--enable-oss' '--enable-png' '--disable-portaudio' '--disable-pulse' '--disable-pvr' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-rtsp' '--disable-realrtsp' '--enable-smb' '--enable-sdl' '--disable-sdl-image' '--disable-shout' '--disable-skins2' '--enable-speex' '--enable-sse' '--enable-svg' '--enable-svgalib' '--disable-taglib' '--enable-theora' '--enable-freetype' '--disable-twolame' '--enable-upnp' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-vcd' '--disable-vcdx' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-loader' '--enable-wxwidgets' 'WX_CONFIG=/usr/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.6' '--enable-x11' '--enable-screen' '--enable-x264' '--enable-xinerama' '--enable-libxml2' '--disable-xosd' '--enable-xvideo' '--disable-xvmc' '--disable-zvbi' '--disable-libvc1' '--disable-snapshot' '--disable-growl' '--disable-optimizations' '--enable-utf8' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--enable-vlm' '--enable-sout' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=pentium4' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -march=pentium4'
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[00000384] mux_ps private: Open
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 0.1.10 from http://dvd.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdnav: DVD Title: RUSH_HOUR_3_D1
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 3748b5c8
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/royw/.dvdnav/RUSH_HOUR_3_D1.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000035b
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x0000043c
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0000fac6
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x00307395
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x0031ae53
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x0031ce8d
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x0031f38b
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0x0000fac6
libdvdread: Found 5 VTS's
libdvdnav: ifoRead_VOBU_ADMAP vtsi failed - CRASHING
vlc: vm.c:214: ifoOpenNewVTSI: Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted

Thank you,
Roy

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 09:41:32 pm »
Is rush hour 3 the only one you've had issues with?  I ask a lot of questions here, so I try to help where I can.  I don't have Rush Hour 3 yet.  I actually looked at it this weekend, had it in my hand, then put it down and bought 310 to Yuma (good movie), and a few others instead.

Maybe I'll pop down to the store and pick it up and give it a shot.  Looks like you are doing the same command I was, I really hope there isn't yet another copy protection out that screws up ripping.  Hopefully it's not a version issue either, I wiped out my old mythtv setup to install lmce, and just now installed vlc.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 11:45:54 pm »
SUCCESS!!!

OK, I substituted the ddrescue command for the disk_copy command in the ripDiskWrapper.sh file:

Old command:

command='/usr/pluto/bin/disc_unlock "$sourceDevice"; nice -n 15 /usr/pluto/bin/disk_copy "$sourceDevice" "$targetFileName.dvd.in-progress" > '"$ProgressOutput"

New command:

command='/usr/pluto/bin/disc_unlock "$sourceDevice"; nice -n 15 ddrescue -n "$sourceDevice" "$targetFileName.dvd.in-progress" > '"$ProgressOutput"

I used ddrescue because it copies the disk straight to iso/dvd format.  Now I can use the Orbiter interface and choose Copy disk and it will copy any disc perfectly.  The downside is this method takes WAY longer to copy so what I'm going to attempt is create a new menu item for this type of copy so I'll have one button for the quick copy and another button for this copy if a movie fails using the first one.

Another issue I'm having (but not really one of importance) is using the ddrescue method the percentage doesn't show up when you view the progress.  I'll look into that later.

Holy Cow, I think I just contributed something to this project.

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 01:12:25 am »
The dd just doesn't finish.  Here's the command I issued:
$ dd if=/dev/dvd2 of=/var/video/rush3_dd.dvd conv=noerror
And here's the last status message:
dd: reading `/dev/dvd2': Input/output error
260352+0 records in
260352+0 records out
133300224 bytes (133 MB) copied, 14847.9 s, 9.0 kB/s
There were two other dvds that I hit the could not rip issue with (out of ~300), but they accidentally got placed in the to be ripped shelfs.  I think one of them was "Click!".

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 02:25:56 am »
SUCCESS!!!

OK, I substituted the ddrescue command for the disk_copy command in the ripDiskWrapper.sh file:

Old command:

command='/usr/pluto/bin/disc_unlock "$sourceDevice"; nice -n 15 /usr/pluto/bin/disk_copy "$sourceDevice" "$targetFileName.dvd.in-progress" > '"$ProgressOutput"

New command:

command='/usr/pluto/bin/disc_unlock "$sourceDevice"; nice -n 15 ddrescue -n "$sourceDevice" "$targetFileName.dvd.in-progress" > '"$ProgressOutput"

I used ddrescue because it copies the disk straight to iso/dvd format.  Now I can use the Orbiter interface and choose Copy disk and it will copy any disc perfectly.  The downside is this method takes WAY longer to copy so what I'm going to attempt is create a new menu item for this type of copy so I'll have one button for the quick copy and another button for this copy if a movie fails using the first one.

Another issue I'm having (but not really one of importance) is using the ddrescue method the percentage doesn't show up when you view the progress.  I'll look into that later.

Holy Cow, I think I just contributed something to this project.

Fantastic!  If that works seamlessly I'm happy to dump vlc to get an option that works from within lmce. 

Before you try creating a new menu for a separate rip method, you might want to give a different DVD a try, something that works quick with the disk_copy method.  The slowdown may just be a result of a ton of bad blocks.

edit:  oddly enough, when I did an apt-get install ddrescue it completed, but there was no ddrescue.  After poking around I found dd_rescue????
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:29:48 am by skeptic »

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 08:33:57 am »
The copying progress is not shown when using ddrescue, because (iirc), disk_copy output it to the specific place from where the ripper script reads it. Looks like ddrescue doesn't do this.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 06:40:56 pm »
Fantastic!  If that works seamlessly I'm happy to dump vlc to get an option that works from within lmce. 

Before you try creating a new menu for a separate rip method, you might want to give a different DVD a try, something that works quick with the disk_copy method.  The slowdown may just be a result of a ton of bad blocks.

edit:  oddly enough, when I did an apt-get install ddrescue it completed, but there was no ddrescue.  After poking around I found dd_rescue????

OK, I used the ddrescue method on a disc I had previously ripped with the disk_copy method and it is still slow so I'm going to go ahead with the second menu option.  I'll keep you updated.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 08:10:02 pm »

OK, I used the ddrescue method on a disc I had previously ripped with the disk_copy method and it is still slow so I'm going to go ahead with the second menu option.  I'll keep you updated.

Darn.  Thanks for the updates.  When you say slow, how much slower?  Twice as long?  5 times as long?  When I get a new core system ordered and built I need to start clean and re-rip 300+ movies.  One or two here and there I wouldn't care about the speed, but with 300 and growing it makes a huge difference.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 09:42:46 pm »
By slow I mean regular method usually takes between 20 and 30 minutes, the ddrescue method takes 1.5 to 2 hours.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 09:46:18 pm »

I don't know about that, when I saw the reference to ddrescue I just went to a command line and typed it and it worked.  No install, no path, just # ddrescue....