Author Topic: Does anyone have beta 4 running stable with a full setup (with several MD's)?  (Read 2883 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
I have 0710 beta 4 set up in my house. I have the current setup:

AMD64 core (Asus M2NPV-VM with BE2400 AMD processor, 2GB RAM)
3x i386 MD's (Various - they were all computers I already had)
4x Datalux iPix 15" touchscreen computers running WindowsXP and the XP orbiter

All Media Directors are on a gigabit network with the core. The Datalux orbiters all have wireless cards that connect to an accesspoint running off of the gigabit switch.

I am having a terrible time getting this to run Stable. It runs great and everything works... For a period of time. I get the following problems on a daily basis, and I was wondering if anybody else had any of these problems...

1) Media Directors won't play css encrypted DVDs that have been ripped to the core (the core plays them fine). There is another thread here about that issue http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4585.0

2) I leave the core, media directors and the orbiters on all the time. At night, in my kids' rooms, they will try to start a movie with their orbiters. The orbiters will act like the movie should be playing (the dvd remote page comes up, etc), but the photo screensaver will just continue to cycle through pictures on their TV's. Trying to do a quick reload doesn't fix it, as a warning is displayed saying that there are services or devices which could not start (can't remember the exact verbage at this time). Trying to reboot their media directors does not fix it either, as the same message is displayed here too. In the end, every night I have to turn their media directors off, run back downstairs, reboot the core, run back upstairs.. wait a few minutes, then reboot their media directors. (at this point 15-25 minutes has been killed getting everything running again). After this, everything works great... Until the next night, the whole process starts all over again.

3) My external orbiters (windows XP) end up disconnecting randomly throughout the day.. Seems to be related to reloading the router. When I do a quick reload of the router, not all XP orbiters start back up like they should.

4) Every time I restart the orbiter software on my XP touchscreen orbiters, they want to reload the router, regardless of whether or not anything at all has changed in the configuration. I understand that I can just choose not to reload the router, but the point that it wants to do this any time a start or restart any of my XP orbiters leads me to believe that something is not working as it should.

5) I can't turn off a media director (other than the core/hybrid) with the buttons on external orbiters, or the buttons in the web admin. The only way I can turn them off is by holding the power button in until it shuts off.

6) I can't turn on a media director remotely (there are buttons on the orbiters under the UI1 Power button). Does this rely on Wake on Lan?  Is this supposed to work? (Every MD, including my core, use the same Intel gigabit card which supports Wake on Lan)

There are some other small problems, but the above are the big ones. I have to reboot every media director and the core 2-3 times every day, minimum. Before I had 3 media directors, and only had a hybrid/core, I never had these problems.

Does anyone have a full setup running stable? Am I the only one having these problems?
Can anyone give me some advice on how to troubleshoot these problems so I can at least get some mantis reports in to the get problems fixed?

thanks,

Jon
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:40:22 am by jondecker76 »

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
this isnt much help but when you say POE i think you mean wake on lan.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
you are correct, i did mean wake on lan - I changed it to be more clear.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:40:55 am by jondecker76 »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
I have 0710 beta 4 set up in my house. I have the current setup:

AMD64 core (Asus M2NPV-VM with BE2400 AMD processor, 2GB RAM)
3x i386 MD's (Various - they were all computers I already had)
4x Datalux iPix 15" touchscreen computers running WindowsXP and the XP orbiter

All Media Directors are on a gigabit network with the core. The Datalux orbiters all have wireless cards that connect to an accesspoint running off of the gigabit switch.

I am having a terrible time getting this to run Stable. It runs great and everything works... For a period of time. I get the following problems on a daily basis, and I was wondering if anybody else had any of these problems...

1) Media Directors won't play css encrypted DVDs that have been ripped to the core (the core plays them fine). There is another thread here about that issue http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4585.0

2) I leave the core, media directors and the orbiters on all the time. At night, in my kids' rooms, they will try to start a movie with their orbiters. The orbiters will act like the movie should be playing (the dvd remote page comes up, etc), but the photo screensaver will just continue to cycle through pictures on their TV's. Trying to do a quick reload doesn't fix it, as a warning is displayed saying that there are services or devices which could not start (can't remember the exact verbage at this time). Trying to reboot their media directors does not fix it either, as the same message is displayed here too. In the end, every night I have to turn their media directors off, run back downstairs, reboot the core, run back upstairs.. wait a few minutes, then reboot their media directors. (at this point 15-25 minutes has been killed getting everything running again). After this, everything works great... Until the next night, the whole process starts all over again.

3) My external orbiters (windows XP) end up disconnecting randomly throughout the day.. Seems to be related to reloading the router. When I do a quick reload of the router, not all XP orbiters start back up like they should.

4) Every time I restart the orbiter software on my XP touchscreen orbiters, they want to reload the router, regardless of whether or not anything at all has changed in the configuration. I understand that I can just choose not to reload the router, but the point that it wants to do this any time a start or restart any of my XP orbiters leads me to believe that something is not working as it should.

5) I can't turn off a media director (other than the core/hybrid) with the buttons on external orbiters, or the buttons in the web admin. The only way I can turn them off is by holding the power button in until it shuts off.

6) I can't turn on a media director remotely (there are buttons on the orbiters under the UI1 Power button). Does this rely on Wake on Lan?  Is this supposed to work? (Every MD, including my core, use the same Intel gigabit card which supports Wake on Lan)

There are some other small problems, but the above are the big ones. I have to reboot every media director and the core 2-3 times every day, minimum. Before I had 3 media directors, and only had a hybrid/core, I never had these problems.

Does anyone have a full setup running stable? Am I the only one having these problems?
Can anyone give me some advice on how to troubleshoot these problems so I can at least get some mantis reports in to the get problems fixed?

thanks,

Jon

We have 0710 Beta4 running stable with 4-8 MD's installed on a number of Core's and with minor exceptions its stable.  Have you applied the fixes here;

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/KnownIssues_0710_Beta4

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
http://www.domotiqa.com - home automation