Author Topic: This Community will Fail and LMCE will be forgotten.  (Read 10867 times)

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
This Community will Fail and LMCE will be forgotten.
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:22:44 pm »
As long as the key players in this community remain vigilant in their self absorbed ways, and push interested experts and dev's away by contradicting their own discovered functional methods, this project will fail.

EDIT:  This thread has completely done a 180.  I thought an updated subject might help.
ddamron

EDIT: I still people screwing with old ass video game emulators while these forums are riddled with basic bugs, unstable features, and unhappy developers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:26:36 pm by orionsune »
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: This Community will Fail and LMCE will be forgotten.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:35:40 pm »
You didn't even try to contribute a patch for the dhcp pnp subsystem. You are just bashing around.

regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

andymck

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:15:34 pm »
I have to agree with Orionsune.  I have been using LMCE for a couple of months now and mostly lurking on the forums in the little free time i have, trying to learn as i go.  During that time I have to say i have come across more that enough negativitly, hostility and plain rudeness directed at different individuals to make me personally question how this project is being run and where its going.

I get the impression of a clique running things that doesn’t take too well to criticism and has no real vision for the product besides their own narrow interests.  I can understand that during product development we all like to add the things we think are cool but if you want to make a product a success you have to think what does the typical user want and i dont really think too much consideration is given to this.

As cool as some things might be such as the Mame wrapper, the mobile java client, has anyone given any thought to making this product compete as a media center first, its name is LinuxMediaCenter after all.  Look at any mediacenter on the market, then consider its likely positioning in the home and all are competing for space in the living room.  As LMCE stands at the moment its biggest weakness in this regard IMO are

1. Lack of a photo slideshow facility
May not interest the people running this product but you can guarantee that this is a serious omission to anyone with a family and kids.  I wonder how many of us have went through the pain of getting a working setup, demonstrating it to the wife and getting the response, “those flickr images are cool, now how do i get the photos of the kids to show up like we used to do with the xbox"....and i don’t consider the current ability to have random photos appearing as a replacement, especially since you have to resize all your photos to 1200 pix or whatever it is...

2. Weak Media Structure
I appreciate that lmce has a specific media structure and i understand how that came about, i also understand that to change this is a big deal.  However there is no getting away from the fact that it has weaknesses especially to those of us with a lot of tv shows.  I have all 6 series of 24, all 7 series of smallville and lots of other shows and i have to say its one pain in the ass to sort through all of this.  A simple directory structure would solve all the problems and its also something that non techies such as the wife can work with and understand, if thats too much of an overhaul well i am sure there are other less painful solutions.  Again its considering how people will actually use the product.

While all the extras that come with lmce such as the lighting controls, the orbiters etc are fantastic these two things are glaring omissions and present major barriers to the product entering the mainstream and competing for the media center space within any typical family environment considering their options.  Put on top of this the less than amicable nature of some individuals on these forums, the lack of any perceived steering group and weak documentation and I wouldn’t count on lmce being here in 24 months time.  I think that would be unfortunate as it has great potential, i personally now have a working setup with 3 MDs around the house and starting to look at lighting controls and security cameras.  But still as a media center i cant make it do the all of basic things that XMBC could do, or my 360 acting as extenders.

I also have to point out that the find by Orionsune in regards to MythTV hanging all the time due to what we now know was logging issues should be seen reflected upon by those  in charge of this product.  I mean the amount of posts highlighting this and similar problems that went ignored demonstrates something is wrong here.  I really dont mean to over criticise but something really doest seem right with how the product is managed.  And i do appreciate the work that has gone into making this product what it is but still some things do need to be said.  I hope they can be taken as constructive as that is my intent but i suspect some may view them in a different light.

Just my two cents. Sorry for this rant being overly long but these things have been simmering for a while now...

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:08:08 am »
I get the impression of a clique running things that doesn’t take too well to criticism and has no real vision for the product besides their own narrow interests.  I can understand that during product development we all like to add the things we think are cool but if you want to make a product a success you have to think what does the typical user want and i dont really think too much consideration is given to this.
we have vision but also limited manpower..

As cool as some things might be such as the Mame wrapper, the mobile java client, has anyone given any thought to making this product compete as a media center first, its name is LinuxMediaCenter after all.  Look at any mediacenter on the market, then consider its likely positioning in the home and all are competing for space in the living room.  As LMCE stands at the moment its biggest weakness in this regard IMO are
Feel free to contribute.

Hari

ps: i can't talk for tschak but the java client made me dive into SerializeClass, a bit RA, BD, VIP and some basic orbiter stuff. I want to understand the complete picture to base visions on facts, and thats the way I'm exploring it. YMMV.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:36:48 am »
I have to agree with Orionsune.  I have been using LMCE for a couple of months now and mostly lurking on the forums in the little free time i have, trying to learn as i go.  During that time I have to say i have come across more that enough negativitly, hostility and plain rudeness directed at different individuals to make me personally question how this project is being run and where its going.

May not interest the people running this product but you can guarantee that this is a serious omission to anyone with a family and kids.  I wonder how many of us have went through the pain of getting a working setup, demonstrating it to the wife and getting the response, “those flickr images are cool, now how do i get the photos of the kids to show up like we used to do with the xbox"....and i don’t consider the current ability to have random photos appearing as a replacement, especially since you have to resize all your photos to 1200 pix or whatever it is...

2. Weak Media Structure
I appreciate that lmce has a specific media structure and i understand how that came about, i also understand that to change this is a big deal.  However there is no getting away from the fact that it has weaknesses especially to those of us with a lot of tv shows.  I have all 6 series of 24, all 7 series of smallville and lots of other shows and i have to say its one pain in the ass to sort through all of this.  A simple directory structure would solve all the problems and its also something that non techies such as the wife can work with and understand, if thats too much of an overhaul well i am sure there are other less painful solutions.  Again its considering how people will actually use the product.

While all the extras that come with lmce such as the lighting controls, the orbiters etc are fantastic these two things are glaring omissions and present major barriers to the product entering the mainstream and competing for the media center space within any typical family environment considering their options.  Put on top of this the less than amicable nature of some individuals on these forums, the lack of any perceived steering group and weak documentation and I wouldn’t count on lmce being here in 24 months time.  I think that would be unfortunate as it has great potential, i personally now have a working setup with 3 MDs around the house and starting to look at lighting controls and security cameras.  But still as a media center i cant make it do the all of basic things that XMBC could do, or my 360 acting as extenders.

I also have to point out that the find by Orionsune in regards to MythTV hanging all the time due to what we now know was logging issues should be seen reflected upon by those  in charge of this product.  I mean the amount of posts highlighting this and similar problems that went ignored demonstrates something is wrong here.  I really dont mean to over criticise but something really doest seem right with how the product is managed.  And i do appreciate the work that has gone into making this product what it is but still some things do need to be said.  I hope they can be taken as constructive as that is my intent but i suspect some may view them in a different light.

Just my two cents. Sorry for this rant being overly long but these things have been simmering for a while now...

I think th vast majority of forum members are polite & helpful... but just like 'the real' you will find some that aren't. But thats just humanity for you I guess... and it happens in every forum I have ever spent any time participating in.

I do agree that LinuxMCE would benefit greatly from a SlideShow capability to allow for images to be assembled and managed. I actually think that and extension of the 'play list' might be the way to go on this so that all types of media could be assembled into a 'slide show' ie some pictures, a few movie clips, a piece of of air tv... anything in your media library essentially could be assembled into a 'slide show'.

I also tend to agree that the media structure and the way you can navigate it is not perfect. But you can already place your media into any arbitrary folder/directory structure that suits you and use the 'file structure' filter to see that... that way the DB & UpdateMedia are not hiding that structure from you and you see the exact organisation of the media that you have chosen.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:17:30 pm »

2. Weak Media Structure

Well there are only a few people that actually bother to help others and to many people with "visions" of how things should be done.  As usual the latter don't have any real vision but just like to grab the opportunity to point out the features that are important to them personally and then tell everyone else to work on that.

The problem however is that we don't work for you and you don't pay the bills around here, heck you can't even be bothered to look at other peoples problems and help them out where needed.  In fact you have nothing to contribute but lame criticism on the people that do.  Yet you talk about "the product" like you're some sort of customer, newsflash: you are not.  Failure to understand how open-source projects work does not make up for that.

That you feel the need to bash other people for not working on the things important to you says more about you then about them.  So why don't you get off your fat lazy ass yourself and put some time and effort into your holy grails of a slideshow and your listing of "24" and "smallville" (how hard can it be to simply select "Filenames" in the orbiter?) and then we'll critisize you for not working on the things we feel are more important.  Oh that's right I forgot, you don't have any skills yourself, except for wasting everybodies time posting lame flame bait like this under the guise of "constructive" criticism.  The only thing that is wrong here in this community are the people like you.

There is my two cents, enjoy.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 05:04:37 pm »

The negativity is unfortunate. We need to work on that. The same problem plagued MythTV when that project was young. We have for the most part addressed the problem there. But it was something that took time, we needed to set make an effort to be civil and enforce the edict, "if you don't have anything good to say in response to a question, say nothing at all."

Look I have a hard skin to people calling me "douche pickle" and other unmentionable criticism. But this is a hard skin formed by many years in the OSS community as a contributor. We are a young project, with a number people who are new to OSS contributing. It can be a shock the first time you've poured your heart out spending nights away from your family to contribute something to the world at large only to be greeted with death threats in private and insults in public. As the project matures there will be mentors for the new recruits who will help them make the adjustment.

As cool as some things might be such as the Mame wrapper, the mobile java client, has anyone given any thought to making this product compete as a media center first, its name is LinuxMediaCenter after all.
Yes very much so, but you also need to realize that unpaid volunteers will have their pet projects. They are in fact a very good way to get people involved and learn the API's that they need to understand in order to make the mundane improvements needed. They also help the developer blow off steam. This is important when you are dealing with people who work as professional programmers by day, an OSS project needs to balance the "Fun" aspects that keep developers involved and the "Work" aspects that keep the project going.

Interesting, we could just install the MythGallery plug-in by default and point it to the LMCE photo directories. If you can document what is needed to do this in the wiki, I can create the package fairly easily. I really never thought of this, I've never actually sat down and showed my family a slide-show.

2. Weak Media Structure
I don't really understand this, you are aware of tags right?

I'm certain LinuxMCE will be here in 24 months time.

I also have to point out that the find by Orionsune in regards to MythTV hanging all the time due to what we now know was logging issues should be seen reflected upon by those  in charge of this product.  I mean the amount of posts highlighting this and similar problems that went ignored demonstrates something is wrong here.

Heh, the bug that Orionsume found had only been manifest for a few days when you found it. I've made about a dozen stability fixes to MythTV in the last few months, including the major one that made LMCE's MythTV less stable than other distro's using MythTV. The "-v all" for MythTV debugging only became crashing after I removed a patch from the earlier MythTV packages that completely disabled MythTV logging. I had removed this because the problems with installing MythTV on MD's were not possible to debug with debugging disabled for the backend. The excessive frontend logging was not apparent to me because I was looking at the backend log for the MD problem, and because my computer had no problem handling the excessive logging. Once Orionsume found the bug, I had committed the fix within a few days. That is how things are supposed to work. Orionsume like all of us is supposed to find and if possible find a fix for the bugs he sees. This is why betas are released, so we can all find and fix bugs, not just some clique of developers up in the sky somewhere.

I really dont mean to over criticise but something really doest seem right with how the product is managed.  And i do appreciate the work that has gone into making this product what it is but still some things do need to be said.  I hope they can be taken as constructive as that is my intent but i suspect some may view them in a different light.

Thanks Andy, I totally understand your concerns (well except for the media organization stuff), I wish I had more time and we had more contributors to address them my own countless concerns with LinuxMCE.

And on that note, I would love it if you could volunteer to work on something. :)

I like your slide show idea, perhaps you can investigate MythTV and other slideshow programs for Kubuntu and write up a report in the wiki? If you would like I can also walk you through the steps needed to implement your ideas in something that will be installed by default and automatically configured by LinuxMCE, or that scares you, you can wait for me to take your wiki and express it in packaging scripts.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 05:06:15 pm »
There are some very good points in there actually.  Perhaps I can put them in a more even tempered way.

LMCE is always pushing the envelop in terms of it's functionality.  The two I've been paying the most attention to have been the java mobile orbiter and the insteon lighting controls, which have made some incredible progress do to the work of these members.  But there is seemingly more of a concentration on those efforts than making the current functionality better.  I mean, if you were doing this for fun, as I think we all are, do you want to work on the cool stuff or would you rather work on something cool and cutting edge?  I'm sorry to say, but if I was jumping in... I wouldn't be working on the screen saver too much either  :-X  At least not until I did some really cool stuff on that orbiter right?

There is a lack of structure and process here, that's unfortunate.  It's also unfortunate that it's so high profile to be here.  If we were talking about "yet another remake of the same old idea" I don't know that people would care so much about their specific wants not being met.  They would have a long list of products to compare and pick and choose the ones that work best for them. 

I honestly think one of the biggest things working against us is the fantastic "demo" video which makes everything look so easy and right out of the box.  It might work just as well as demonstrated, but for an incoming user the expectations get set too high on the stability and functionality of the product.

Is LMCE cliquish? Perhaps not enough.  I work on cars, as seemingly many do here (yes, that's a bit odd actually) and it's like someone stepping into your shop midway through a rebuild, when you finally have a running car, and telling you that you're seat covers need work.  Or that you have a scratch on the fender that perhaps you didn't notice before.

andymck

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 07:36:24 pm »
DanielK, thanks for the response and you make some interesting points and i do fully appreciate that this is a young project.  The idea of the MythGallery plugin sounds like a good route to go and I would be happy to look at this.  I have absolutely no real idea how the inards of myth or lmce works but i will give it a go.  At the moment i am flat out with a deadline at work but i could start over the weekend.  If you can send me some info re setting it up to be installed by default that would be appreciated.

Re the lmce tags, i am using these currently but when you have a lot of similar media for instance tv shows, it can be a very mundane process setting each one by one.  I dont know of a quicker way to do this....but even with the tags set trying to jump to a particular episode can still be fiddly, whereas with a directory structure you can jump straight to where you need to go.

A number of people have mentioned sorting by filename and i have tried this but on my machines any time i do this 90% of my media disappears and cant be located....so i have never really seen this working and as such cant comment as to if it improves the issue.

Jimmy, i take your analogy about looking midway through a rebuild but i do believe that a slideshow is a pre-requiste of any media center now-a-days....digital camears are just so popular and with all those photos filling up hard drives it the obvious step to want a convienent means to access them.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 08:21:06 pm »
creating a slideshow DCE player for Pictures shouldn't be too difficult...

essentially it would be two parts:

The plugin, which would create the media stream, and make it visible on the floorplan, and the rest of the system,
and the player, which would be the slideshow. The Photo_Screen_Saver code could be re-tasked for this, major portions of it lifted and used for the slide show.

Now, essentially, this is a media type, same as any other in the system.. so you select photos, and it will cycle through them as you add them. then when you are ready, save a playlist. It will show up in the Playlists section. :-)

For audio, this gets more interesting.. The way I would LIKE to do it is you would simply add music into the playlist, and it would simply cycle through the music items in the playlist, no matter how they were mixed in with the photos, etc.  However, given LinuxMCE's playlist functions, this may not be possible at first, without overriding the various playlist de-queuing operator overloads to bypass music items on the playlist.

Basically, the rendering aspects would be lifted from photo_screen_saver, but the photos themselves would be queued from the playlist object currently being reported by the media plugin...

so in the end, we have:

user selects pics
user selects pics to view, one right after the other
user saves in playlist.

and probably for audio, we'll just point it at a predefined folder with the same name as the playlist, to start.

How's this, guys?
-Thom

bmac2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 09:08:52 pm »
as someone who does NOT spend a lot of time in or responding on these forums, after I first saw your post I started looking around to see some of your other posts and threads and stuff you wrote.  A couple of things jump out when I read your posts.

As far as I can tell, your hit at other people developing is kinda lame considering I can NOT find not one single line of code or contribution you have made to the project OTHER than bitching that it doesn't do it the way you think is right.  Why with all of this knowledge and insight into things that you obviously know more than the developers on (i.e. the dhcp pnp issue that you raised hell about, said needed to be fixed, said you KNEW how it all worked, but never offered to fix for the community!) why don't you just jump in and start working on the project instead of spending all your time in here bitching?

quote from original post in this thread
 ***** and push interested experts and dev's away by contradicting their own discovered functional methods, ******

wtf?  interested experts and devs?   who?  In the last 2 months I been helping on this project, not a single offer of help on ANYTHING has been declined or refused.  The opposite, the main 5 or 6 people who are carrying this project on their back without a lot of real support, have begged people to pitch in to no avail.

their own discovered functional methods?????   I know I am kinda a dumb southern redneck with a MS degree in engineering so I am not real bright, but HUH?  what functional methods are you talking about?

I think we need more people to help work on stuff rather than just bitching.  It is more than just you.  There are several supposed "experts" and gurus in these forums that are maddening cause they always know what to do, how to do, and more than anyone else.  BUT, NONE of them ever contribute anything other than negative comments.  Either quit the negative bitching, or get yourself into the irc channel and start helping develop stuff.  There are a lot of people like myself who are NOT a developer, not a programmer, just a network engineer who are jumping in trying to learn to develop and help.  When all these godlike developers can't seem to pitch in and help.  An open source community is only as good as the amount of help it gets.  And there seems to be a lack of it from a lot of you.

And my only other comment is if you think this community will die, then spend your time somewhere that will be here later and not be forgotten.  Peace, and hope you find somewhere else to bitch about so you can be happy.

bmac2

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 11:26:37 pm »
Hi,

I'll jsut try to add some thoughts about picture viewer.... I'm finally using UI2 with Fiirechief and custom photos. We particularly like this feature in our family. We can also already start music and then leave only screen saver on screen - so we can view photos with audio background....

and IMHO we have this feature (at least under UI2) practically implemented - we just need to start screen saver from play all button with all pictures in current directory tree.....

I'm some times nearer inclusion of mythtv, but then again, it's ui looks different, it doesn't work with Gyro, etc... I think solution above might be better and more LMCE's native...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 09:36:11 am »
creating a slideshow DCE player for Pictures shouldn't be too difficult...

essentially it would be two parts:

The plugin, which would create the media stream, and make it visible on the floorplan, and the rest of the system,
and the player, which would be the slideshow. The Photo_Screen_Saver code could be re-tasked for this, major portions of it lifted and used for the slide show.

Now, essentially, this is a media type, same as any other in the system.. so you select photos, and it will cycle through them as you add them. then when you are ready, save a playlist. It will show up in the Playlists section. :-)

For audio, this gets more interesting.. The way I would LIKE to do it is you would simply add music into the playlist, and it would simply cycle through the music items in the playlist, no matter how they were mixed in with the photos, etc.  However, given LinuxMCE's playlist functions, this may not be possible at first, without overriding the various playlist de-queuing operator overloads to bypass music items on the playlist.

Basically, the rendering aspects would be lifted from photo_screen_saver, but the photos themselves would be queued from the playlist object currently being reported by the media plugin...

so in the end, we have:

user selects pics
user selects pics to view, one right after the other
user saves in playlist.

and probably for audio, we'll just point it at a predefined folder with the same name as the playlist, to start.

How's this, guys?
-Thom

Sounds like a great plan to me ;-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:15 am »
Hi,

I'll jsut try to add some thoughts about picture viewer.... I'm finally using UI2 with Fiirechief and custom photos. We particularly like this feature in our family. We can also already start music and then leave only screen saver on screen - so we can view photos with audio background....

and IMHO we have this feature (at least under UI2) practically implemented - we just need to start screen saver from play all button with all pictures in current directory tree.....

I'm some times nearer inclusion of mythtv, but then again, it's ui looks different, it doesn't work with Gyro, etc... I think solution above might be better and more LMCE's native...

Regards,

Bulek.

Bulek your right of course... its a nice solution that works right now :-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:53:53 am »
Hi,

Regards,

Bulek.

Bulek your right of course... its a nice solution that works right now :-)

Andrew

Yeap, there is only one minor thing missing: to be able to start photo screen saver from "Play all" button with all photos in current directory and its subtree... I guess only small enhancement is missing to have that feature quite quickly...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.