Author Topic: Why I left LinuxMCE for MythBuntu  (Read 27007 times)

bradandersen

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Why I left LinuxMCE for MythBuntu
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:30 pm »
Since the code is still somewhat "alpha", can we include a few more utilities in the menus ("Beta Tools") which might include the LIRC config tool, etc.  My remote worked out of the box with Mythbuntu, but they couldn't get my display to work as well as LinuxMCE.  The Mythbuntu remote option that worked was "Windows Media Center Remote (Newer Remote, Philips, etc.)".

I will continue with LinuxMCE when I have much more time on my hands as Mythbuntu left me just as Dazed and Confused as LinuxMCE.

Thanks again,
Brad

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:26 pm »
our LIRC support is still very embryonic. Do keep in mind that our native messaging system provides the framework for the support of each type of IR transciever.

Currently the best supported transcievers are:

* USB UIRT
* GC-100
* Tira
* IRTrans

Every one of those above, except the IRTrans support learning from the UI, although IRTrans learning support is pending.

We will try to add support for LIRC, but we need more people to help make it happen.

-Thom

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 10:40:24 pm »
LinuxMCE is far from ready for the masses.
The "concept" is great.... however...

Agreed.

The disappointment with Vista MCE and the LMCE demo video have made me try the product. After struggling alone for a few weeks without success I decided to hire a Linux Professional to help. Working together a couple of weeks more we've managed to put it to partially run almost problem-free for a month now. Follows my initial considerations:

1. The product is fantastic. My compliments to the dev team and contributors.
2. It isn't - by any means - a product for the masses. The responsibles might kill the product if they insist in adopting this approach.
3. IMHO too much development effort is put on wizards, automatic detections, guided installation scripts and technical questions.
4. The UIs needs a lot of refining (a work that we contributors can do).
5. Its translation and localization must be much more easy to accomplish.
6. The menus must be much more easy to edit.

IMO the time spent by the developers in trying to make a "do-it-yourself" product would be much more useful if directed to solve its known problems and enhance its functionalities.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to an average user to setup LMCE. The AV Wizard, the Setup Wizard with videos, the automatic detections with technical questions, and the technical actions of some menus (e.g. "Resend A/V Codes"...) among other stuff, obstruct IT professionals like myself to recommend the product to customers. I won't dare to install LMCE "as-is" in a client because he/she will panic as soon as prompted for an answer to an hermetic question (e.g. "A new USB dongle was detected. What should I do with it?"...), and call our support staff at 2:00 AM. Please remember also that the average user doesn't even know what "Linux" is. "KDE Desktop" means nothing to him/her, and LMCE's KDE needs a lot of customization to become "understandable" for the common user.

My suggestion is to produce a PAID version for professionals who want to work with LMCE. I'm not familiar with GPL licensing, and don't know whether this is possible or not, but I see that, in keeping this "do-it-yourself" approach, the product will remain restricted to geeks and soon be surpassed by its competitors. And this will be a pity.

Just my 2 cents,

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 07:02:35 am »
I disagree!

1. I don't believe anyone who doesnt know what windows is, Linux or MacOSX is should be installing an operating system on their own.  You say the average person would be vexed by what a "USB dingle" is?

2. Not everyone is going to install LinuxMCE on their own, or Windows for that mater, many windows users I know would be lost, and don't even understand what a "driver" is! 

I believe the devs have done well with the automated setup, thats one of the beauties of LMCE! 

I do agree that there needs some UI refinement and that it should be easier for contributers to assist I'm that manner, but there is work under way UI3 is in the works and will achieve this

Best regards,

Sam

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 08:02:42 am »
samuel:

UI3 is still vapourware at this point. We need more people who are willing to learn Designer to extend the _EXISTING_ UI. Why do you think I am making all the screencasts?

*hmm*

-Thom

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 06:30:03 pm »
Hello Samuel,

1. I don't believe anyone who doesnt know what windows is, Linux or MacOSX is should be installing an operating system on their own.  You say the average person would be vexed by what a "USB dingle" is?
Not vexed, but lost.

2. Not everyone is going to install LinuxMCE on their own, or Windows for that mater, many windows users I know would be lost, and don't even understand what a "driver" is! 
That's true.

I believe the devs have done well with the automated setup, thats one of the beauties of LMCE! 
Yes it is, but the problems will begin AFTER the installation.

I do agree that there needs some UI refinement and that it should be easier for contributers to assist I'm that manner, but there is work under way UI3 is in the works and will achieve this
I'm learning the Designer in order to help the development of more refined - and customizable - UIs.

Best regards,

Marcos

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 06:35:06 pm »
Hello Thom,

UI3 is still vapourware at this point. We need more people who are willing to learn Designer to extend the _EXISTING_ UI. Why do you think I am making all the screencasts?

*hmm*
The screencasts are excellent! I'm learning the Designer by following your instructions. It's difficult, but no more than developing in CA-Visual Objects <BG>. Right now I'm working on the translation, but haven't succeeded so far.

Best regards,

Marcos

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 06:24:17 am »
My suggestion is to produce a PAID version for professionals who want to work with LMCE. I'm not familiar with GPL licensing, and don't know whether this is possible or not, but I see that, in keeping this "do-it-yourself" approach, the product will remain restricted to geeks and soon be surpassed by its competitors. And this will be a pity.
Hahahahahahahaha :):):)

Sorry but LinuxMCE IS THE "do-it-yourself" version of a payable version :) If you want to pay for a system look at Pluto:
http://plutohome.com/index.php?

mmnogueira

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »
Hahahahahahahaha :):):)
?

Sorry but LinuxMCE IS THE "do-it-yourself" version of a payable version :) If you want to pay for a system look at Pluto:
http://plutohome.com/index.php?
Thanks for the info. However, I didn't find there any form to order the product.

Marcos

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 05:48:06 pm »
fill out the form for i am a dealer.

-Thom