Author Topic: Cannot change volume with external sound card  (Read 4611 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Cannot change volume with external sound card
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:55:42 am »
I am using an external sound card which produces sound just fine.  When in Kubuntu, I can raise and lower the volume to my hearts content through the mixer, but nothing happens within LMCE when I change volume.  I've tried right clicking on kmixer and trying all the available channels and LMCE still won't change my volume.  How do I correct this?

Here is my sound card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829126101

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot change volume with external sound card
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:44:51 pm »
What settings are you using for the sound card in the Media Director page? If you chose the SPDIF output the controls won't work locally. Its designed to control an external AV receiver in that mode. Also if the control is redirected to a TV the local control is "disconnected".

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:18:13 am »
I chose the regular analog stereo choice, no SPDIF.  Actually, I set it up with the internal sound card at first without realizing it. Now, I would like to use the external usb card. 

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:33:56 am »
Is there no one who can help me?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:27:56 am »
There may be a way to have the volume control the card. First check to see if alsamixer controls the volume. You can access alsamixer by starting a planyback of some sound and opening a terminal (ctl-alt-F2, user and password, alsamixer). If you can control the volume then somewhere the control link has been broken. If not the sound may be going through a "bit-perfect" mode and not adjustable. In that case you may need to change the settings in the media director.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:12:01 pm »
How do you tell lmce which control to use? My sound cards have non standard control names (e.g. no PCM or Master fader). One card needs 3 PCM sliders moving together. Is this possible?