Author Topic: High Definition with LMCE ????  (Read 4673 times)

jt1979

• View Profile
High Definition with LMCE ????
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:54:07 am »
First I would like to say that the videos I've seen of LMCE are incredible.  The things the software can do are amazing.  I like how the home automation is tied into the software.  BUT....  It appears the LMCE has little support for HD.  I've been using HD for almost two years on a samsumg 61" DLP, Dish Network HD, and a Playstation 3 as a Blu-Ray player.  Right now I use my PS3 as a media player and have a FreeNAS box (Great Addition!!!) on my network holding videos, pictues, and music.  I'm upgrading my network and drives to support the speeds necessary to stream HD signals (~20Mb/s).  Right now I use wireless G to my PS3, a little slow seeing how my PS3 is a little tucked away.  I also intend on adding a firewall using IPCOP.

Enough about what I have and intend to do....

I have some questions?????

1.  Is it true LMCE is limited on support of HD?  I want to know is I can record local HD stuff I recieve over the antenna with LMCE?   Is anyone doing it,  what equipment, how does it look, Is the signal degraded???       

2. Is there any support for the PS3?  Using it as a remote player.

3. I want to know is the overall usage of the software smooth, graphically?  If you have a fast enough computer.

4. I have access to Windows Vista Ultimate at a discounted rate through school and I 'm considering trying out that MCE, but I'm becoming a linux fan fast and would like to find a solution using linux, but it must provide solid HD capabilites.  If I use Vista for it's MCE, what is available for linux concerning home automation? 

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: High Definition with LMCE ????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:45:26 am »
i dont have a blue ray drive on my MCE machine yet, but i will soon and there is some support for it.
I have a 37" sharp aquos HDTV my mce is plugged into and I capture and play tive through firwire on my motorola cable box. This includes HD channels. It looks as good to me as the signals coming directly from the box to the tv. The exception is I have some a slow hard drive and it seems jerky at times. I also have an ATI HDTV wonder card, which I have yet to get to work, but other dvb and HD cards seem to work.

I can answer PS3 questions, because I dont have one. 

I Have ripped normal DVD and watched them. Also, videos from my file server. It is smooth playback for me ( on my gigabit wired network).

I have a hybrid core, but have not installed and MDs yet.

btw I just got going with zwave via a HA22 usb interface. So far my one lamp module works great.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 05:16:59 am »
First I would like to say that the videos I've seen of LMCE are incredible.  The things the software can do are amazing.  I like how the home automation is tied into the software.  BUT....  It appears the LMCE has little support for HD.  I've been using HD for almost two years on a samsumg 61" DLP, Dish Network HD, and a Playstation 3 as a Blu-Ray player.  Right now I use my PS3 as a media player and have a FreeNAS box (Great Addition!!!) on my network holding videos, pictues, and music.  I'm upgrading my network and drives to support the speeds necessary to stream HD signals (~20Mb/s).  Right now I use wireless G to my PS3, a little slow seeing how my PS3 is a little tucked away.  I also intend on adding a firewall using IPCOP.

Enough about what I have and intend to do....

I have some questions?????

1.  Is it true LMCE is limited on support of HD?  I want to know is I can record local HD stuff I recieve over the antenna with LMCE?   Is anyone doing it,  what equipment, how does it look, Is the signal degraded???       

2. Is there any support for the PS3?  Using it as a remote player.

3. I want to know is the overall usage of the software smooth, graphically?  If you have a fast enough computer.

4. I have access to Windows Vista Ultimate at a discounted rate through school and I 'm considering trying out that MCE, but I'm becoming a linux fan fast and would like to find a solution using linux, but it must provide solid HD capabilites.  If I use Vista for it's MCE, what is available for linux concerning home automation? 

Before I address your points, You don't need the external IPCop. Set up the LinuxMCE box like we describe in the directions. We provide a full firewall, with full QoS for everything.

With that said,

1. All the computer based media centers are very limited in their support of HD in forms other than over-the-air. This is true of LMCE, of Windows MCE, period. This isn't our fault. Yell at the media companies for their oppressive paranoid DRM measures which encrypt all the digital stream ports.

With this in mind. This is what you can do, NOW: (and yes, do ALL of these, there is a method to it!)

(1a) Get a Hauppauge PVR-150/250/500/USB2. Connect the S-Video output from the satellite box, to the S-video input on the tuner card. This will allow you to get an SD tream into the LMCE system. This stream can be viewed with the LMCE menu overlaid over the top, because it's being digitized by the computer.

(1b) Attach a USB UIRT or GC-100 I/O interface, to control the TV and Satellite box. (If you use a USB UIRT, get a Xantech 286 double-emitter, if you use a GC-100, use as many of their IR emitter adaptors as you need.), and create device templates for your satellite box, and your TV/other AV equipment, and tell LMCE about how they're connected together. This allows LMCE to control the satellite box and TV and Recievers etc, to do the following point...

(1c) now that you have LMCE Controlling your A/V equipment, it can switch inputs automatically to the Dish Network box, so that you can still watch shows in HD completely, while retaining control with the LinuxMCE remotes and orbiters. You can go into LiveTV (Dish Network Box), and select Direct AV. It will then flip things appropriately... When you press the menu button, it will flip the inputs back to the SD, so it can display the menu on top.

-----------

2. Currently limited support. We do have some interested people trying to port LinuxMCE to run as an OS under the boot loader. It will be ported so that you can boot the PS3 either as a disked or as a diskless MD, but it is going to take some time. Want to help?

With that said, We do have support for UPnP exporting, so you can play MythTV recordings and stored videos on the system from the PS3.. but this is rather limited in comparison to a full Media Director. So just point your PS3 onto the network, and see what comes up.

3. Yes, very smooth. Get a fast enough graphics card. I recommend at least an NVIDIA 6150 (onboard) or 6200 (card).

4. I really wouldn't use Vista for its MCE, you'll wind up with a feature set much less than LinuxMCE. And the other home automation systems on the linux front are much rougher around the edges to install and use than LinuxMCE.

The bottom line is,

* Use hardware we recommend. Come onto the chat forum and talk to us, we can help you put together a hardware configuration that will work.

* Use the main LinuxMCE system as the DHCP router and gateway on the network. A great deal of LinuxMCE's power comes from this. We need this to both detect network devices, and to allow for network booting media directors.

* The core runs 24 hours a day. It needs to, especially since it needs to control the home automation bits.

-Thom

jt1979

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:53:09 pm »
I appreciate the replies.  I first want to say I'm in no way knocking LMCE.  I could only imagine the amount of work that has went into it so far.  I would love to help, but I fear my knowledge of linux and C++ programming is limited to one college course I took three years ago.  I work full time as an Electrical Engineer so I completely geek out over this stuff.  I have a few more questions.

1. What HD tuner cards will work well with LMCE.  To record over the air signals.  Thats where my Dish HD DVR fails. Maybe the Hauppauge's do ("Get a Hauppauge PVR-150/250/500/USB2") , I haven't looked.
2. I like how IP Cop handles the wireless.  Does LMCE handle the wireless has a seperate network.  Allowing VPN access to the Private network from wireless device.  Maybe I'm a little too paranoid.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:08:03 pm »
I appreciate the replies.  I first want to say I'm in no way knocking LMCE.  I could only imagine the amount of work that has went into it so far.  I would love to help, but I fear my knowledge of linux and C++ programming is limited to one college course I took three years ago.  I work full time as an Electrical Engineer so I completely geek out over this stuff.  I have a few more questions.

1. What HD tuner cards will work well with LMCE.  To record over the air signals.  Thats where my Dish HD DVR fails. Maybe the Hauppauge's do ("Get a Hauppauge PVR-150/250/500/USB2") , I haven't looked.
2. I like how IP Cop handles the wireless.  Does LMCE handle the wireless has a seperate network.  Allowing VPN access to the Private network from wireless device.  Maybe I'm a little too paranoid.

1. Dude, I freakin told ya, READ POINT 1 in my post above. It explains everything.

2. If you're worried about this, institute MAC access control along with your wireless encryption.

-Thom

jt1979

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:25:03 pm »
tschak909, if it bothers you to reply, DON'T!!!

"(1a) Get a Hauppauge PVR-150/250/500/USB2. Connect the S-Video output from the satellite box, to the S-video input on the tuner card. This will allow you to get an SD tream into the LMCE system. This stream can be viewed with the LMCE menu overlaid over the top, because it's being digitized by the computer."

You speak of SD not HD, S not H!!!  I also added the comment that I haven't researched your suggestions... Maybe one of those cards fits my needs better???

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 04:35:21 pm »
tschak909, if it bothers you to reply, DON'T!!!

"(1a) Get a Hauppauge PVR-150/250/500/USB2. Connect the S-Video output from the satellite box, to the S-video input on the tuner card. This will allow you to get an SD tream into the LMCE system. This stream can be viewed with the LMCE menu overlaid over the top, because it's being digitized by the computer."

You speak of SD not HD, S not H!!!  I also added the comment that I haven't researched your suggestions... Maybe one of those cards fits my needs better???

oops, sorry, part of my reply got truncated.

But you didn't read the first bit of my first reply, anyway...

Mainly...

Getting HD from your cable box, is _IMPOSSIBLE_ on ANY system, at present. The capture cards to do this do not exist to do this in any form (and yes, I am aware of all the theoretical possibilities)

We are WAITING on the new Hauppauge tuner that can capture YbPbPr (Component), and we still need to write drivers for it..but.. once both of these points are done, we can capture HD from your cable box. HDHomeRun's can also capture free OTA HD as well, in better quality usually than the cable and satellite boxes, if you're close enough.

IN THE MEAN TIME, DUDE, READ THE REST OF MY POINT. I GAVE YOU THE WHOLE WAY TO DO IT. Points 1a 1b and 1c.

*hmm*

people have serious problems of AD-HD.

-Thom

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 05:05:04 pm »
To chime in here, there are options to capture OTA HD and unencrypted cable HD.  I would suggest the HD Homerun http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Hdhomerun. It's fully supported in LMCE and works well. Your mileage may vary on which cable channels your provider chooses to encrypt.

-Peter

jt1979

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 07:23:49 pm »
tschak909, I appreciate your responses, and I understand your points (1,2,3).  I was simply wanting more specifics on capture cards for HD in LMCE.  Specificly, recording the signal OVER THE AIR, not from my Dish box, I understand other HD stuff is proprietary.  Maybe the Home Run is an option?  I simply wanted some suggestions on equipment that would do that (i.e. Post from PeteK).  I understand I can control my cable box using LMCE, great!!, and not lose my HD usage.  Bottom line is I understand your points, they just weren't answering all of my questions.

Again, calm down...  If you don't want to reply DON'T.  I think we are misinderstanding eachother.

Thanks for the info PeteK!!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 08:17:31 pm »
I meant to put the HDHomeRun in my original reply. It is precisely what I use with my LMCE system, and it works great out of the box.

-Thom

diesel12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 06:41:27 am »
Another vote for the HDH. Works great. Power on after the LMCE box is up and bammo. You're done. The 5500 is a nice pci solution. Not auto recognized by lmce, but it'll work fine with Myth. Make sure you have at least a 5xxx or better Nvidia graphics card if you want to be able to watch decently in my experience.