Author Topic: Sky remote through USBUIRT control  (Read 2169 times)

TllEWL

• View Profile
Sky remote through USBUIRT control
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:11:50 pm »
I feel a bit stupid asking this, but I think it could be a good idea ...

For wife-proof simplicity, I'm wondering how much control you could gain by bastardising codes from a Sky+ remote to use LinuxMCE  (no RF, just through IR)

Imagine...
I'm watching & controlling Sky as normal by relaying the IR signals to the Sky box in a media rack.

I press TV on the remote and I have a different set of IR signals - could (in theory) you map these to :

Select button ....... Start/Menu
         Backup ....... Cancel
4, 2, 6, 8 / 0  ....... Left, Up, Right, Down
                 5 ....... OK

Can't think of any other basic functions now, but I have codes for i, text, help, play, red/green/yellow/blue buttons and any un-used number keys + any buttons in 'Sky' mode that I don't use which could be converted and relayed as something else.

Say I press volume up and it controls the TV volume by IR as normal, but also converting and 'blasting' this into an IR code (via the PC) to contol the volume on an AV amp

I expect an RF with gyro remote would be much simpler and quicker, but for now, for the very scaled down functionality in LinuxMCE that I'd be using could it be done ?  Maybe ? ... No ??

TllEWL

• View Profile
Re: Sky remote through USBUIRT control
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 04:38:41 pm »
Quote from: Mike @ www.letsautomate.com
Yes it is a good idea, but no one has done it - off the shelf - presumably because of the vast array of remotes, and things for them to control. It would be easy if it were one style of remote and one piece of equipment

HomeVision Pro that we sell would easily do it, but is very expensive. I don't know of anything else that could though

Mike