Author Topic: IBM T61 display issue after installation completes  (Read 2143 times)

kerrski

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
IBM T61 display issue after installation completes
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:58:10 am »
Hello,

Brand new to LinuxMCE but I've been doing alot of reading.

Some background information...

IBM T61 laptop
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
Docking station with DVI and VGA Outputs
42" Hitachi Plasma TV

Tried the Quick Install DVD 7.10 B4
 - Installs fine but after the install is finished I got a black screen. After pressing some buttons I got a 2 horizontal lines across the screen and a bunch of vertical white lines on the left hand side of the screen. I figured this was a video card driver issue so I installed Kubuntu then installed the video driver using the restricted drivers and installed LinuxMCE (2 CD method) on top. After the reboot I get the same issue 2 horizontal lines and some white on the left hand side.

I decided to connect my CRT to the VGA port on the laptop and pressed 2 on the keyboard. The AV Wizard appeared on the CRT. Now I press 1 and get the same issue on my laptop screen.

Now that I knew it was working (sorta) I decided to connect my laptop to my TV using the DVI port on the docking station. I pressed 1-4 and nothing just got the stupid lines on my laptop screen for what ever selection I made. I then press 1 followed by pressing 6-0 and nothing other then the lines on the laptop screen.

I haven't gone through the AV Wizard yet just incase there is something I'm misssing?

Also how do I get LinuxMCE to use the DVI on the docking station and not the built in DVI on the laptop screen?

If someone could provide any guidance it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

kerrski

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: IBM T61 display issue after installation completes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 05:18:27 am »
I just tested starting the laptop in the docking station with the lid closed as it powers on and I got the Kubuntu to display on the TV but the AV wizard never appeared. I opened up the lid and got the same 2 lines across the screen along the with white/green on the left hand side.

Thanks again...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:24:18 am »
You've def got some issue with video config between your internal laptop screen and the external.

Turn on EDID and then review the log closely after booting - pref with another machine SSH'd in remotely.

In you /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, you will find:
Option "UseEDID" "false" twice.

Change to true. Now read /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Read the mode validation stuff and note it distinguishes between internal and external DFPs. Read through all the stuff it discovers when probing these looking for warnings and errors, but also which output and mode it ends up selecting...

BlueFiero85

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
I wonder if you dont have any sound issues? Today i installed a T61 and all seems to work fine but no sound at all..how is yours?