Ok, here's how I got it working:
1) Fresh install of MCE 7.04 DVD
2) During the first run of the AVwizard I set it to use OpenGL Alpha blending and the correct resolutions
3) When it tries to render the orbiter I ctrl+alt+f2 into terminal (I didn't do it this way before because mce doesn't detect my network settings correctly, no biggy, I just have to do some whittling with ifconfig, route and /etc/resolv.conf)
For those of you who might have the same problems with networking... (replace # and ip_address with correct info)
sudo ifconfig eth# ip_address
sudo route add default gw ip_address
and then edit /etc/resolv.conf and put in the correct name server ip
4) Installed Envy (reference: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3368.0
tkmedia gets the credit for this)
wget -c http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/ubuntu/envy_0.9.9-0ubuntu1_all.deb
dpkg -i envy*
apt-get install -f
choose options 2 then 6 (I had problems where there was something in the system that was referring to a 100 series nvidia driver that I never installed). Then choose option 1. Yes edit xorg.conf, no don't restart.
Also, I think there is a newer version of envy out. Seems like they were on version 0.9.10, someone might need to verify this.
5) Edit xorg.conf and pull out the bad stuff. See my xorg.conf on my previous post for an idea of what to get rid of.
6) reboot and everything is A++!
I hope this helps someone else out.