Author Topic: mythbuntu versus linuxMCE  (Read 4209 times)

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
mythbuntu versus linuxMCE
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:14:08 pm »
Hi there,

I'm using linuxMCE from version 1.0 till now 0710 Beta4 in a testcase with an HP d530 sff with 2 x pvr-500 with an 80GB sata 3gb/s disk in it, the same setup i used with mythbuntu and all other mythtv distro's, mythbuntu worked fine for me but the music thingy in mythtv i didn't really like because i have an collection of nearly 600 gb of music. So i my quest for looking for an alternative mediacenter went on. I stumpled againt another GREAT open source mediacenter with also the possibilty to control home automation devices --> ): LinuxMCE, this i began to install and what was it a big suprised i ran into mythtv again inside linuMCE, so my thought was with the knowledge and pain sometimes to install and get that one going on to get my hands dirty again on mythtv, tested some few things with the disless feature, wich i can really recommend " drbl / clonezilla " the one i use for many months now as my diskless feature for mythbuntu, the guys over there are maybe considering to implement that one into mythbuntu hardy hardon ( drbl / clonezilla ) so i went on and on, i'd also like to see some european xmltv providers that are not in the xmltv package, for instance i live in the Netherlands we have many cable providers here but the only good xmltv provider is " tv_grab_nl_py http://code.google.com/p/tvgrabnlpy/

Ok enough history lessons, the main thing is that i CANNOT watch tv properly with linuxMCE / mythtv with 1x , 2x pvr-500 cards from hauppage, but with an other pvr distro like mythbuntu where mythtv is the main application it really works great, can someone please help me out because i'm close to the edge to go back to mythbuntu, but i don't want that because i want to focus on linuxMCE and all of its features. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP, ok please help out a poor man from Holland !

( linuxMCE 0710 Beta4, HP d530 SFF 2.8, 4 memory gb, 1000 mbps nic ,  80gb sata 3 gb/s, 2x pvr-500 mce from Hauppage, and off course the gyro remote " The CHief "

Thnx in advance,

Dave Haakenhout

Holland

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: mythbuntu versus linuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:32:37 am »
the main thing is that i CANNOT watch tv properly with linuxMCE / mythtv with 1x , 2x pvr-500 cards from hauppage,

Could you be just a little bit more specific?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:41:16 am »
Hi Zaerc,

When mythtv starts within linuxMCE, it runs for approximatly 8 a 10 seconds and then it freezes that's it basically. It really locks up, i went through the log files but what i surely noticed is that when you kill all mythbackend processess and rename the mythtv-backend in /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend to /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend.original is that when you run mythtbackend -v important for instance, that when the tv runs for that magical 8 or 10 seconds the switching between channeld goes a lot faster and better.

Dave

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:19:58 am »
Have you tried fix for MythTV player proposed here?
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/KnownIssues_0710_Beta4

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 06:44:25 pm »
He Kir,

I haven't seen that one yet in the wiki, i tried it and mythtv is quite stable now running for an hour, switching back and fourth, is this patch gonna be implemented in 0804?

Thnax a lot,

Dave