Author Topic: Diskless Media Directors on a 1 NIC Core, is that possible?  (Read 19641 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless Media Directors on a 1 NIC Core, is that possible?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 05:54:37 am »
Would you people _STOP_ thinking like network geeks and put yourselves in the shoes of a non-power user for once?

-Thom

Oatz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 07:40:01 am »
LOL, ok you're totally right, but....

aren't we already asking Joe User to turn off DHCP on their wireless router?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 07:41:54 am »
This replaces their wireless router.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 07:49:10 am »
LOL, ok you're totally right, but....

aren't we already asking Joe User to turn off DHCP on their wireless router?

I think turning DHCP off on a router is a fairly trivial process. It quite possibly not on in the first place (wasn't on mine). Unless you were referring to a broadband router that has wireless as well, in which case, no, they don't need to turn that off anyway, its on a separate network segment.

bugui

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 07:25:54 am »
Hello all,
I have a custom network setup running using VLANs in one NIC using 802.1q and also you can setup an Access Point with madwifi, in my case I'm using a cheap atheos wireless PCI card and a 5dbi antenna.
There are two VLANs in one Gigabit nic (Vlan1 outside and Vlan5 internal), also I liked to configured the wifi AP in brigde mode, because I want to use the same VLAN to address the wifi IP phones (VLAN5=192.168.80.x).

I will share this ordinary script

# create the AP and SSID (in this example no security was implemented)
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
iwconfig ath0 essid NokiaVoIP

iwconfig ath0 channel 11
iwconfig ath0 essid NokiaVoIP
iwconfig ath0 key open off
iwpriv ath0 wds 1

#now you must to create the new VLANs (VLAN1 is not tagged because is the native vlan and is located in eth0)

vconfig add eth0 5
ifconfig eth0.5 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig ath0 0.0.0.0 up

# now we can create the bridge using eth0.5 and ath0 - this is my case.
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0.5
brctl addif br0 ath0
brctl stp br0 on

ifconfig br0 192.168.80.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

# remember that you must to restart the DHCP server

/etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart

Sorry by my english
Best regards
Hernan

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 06:32:31 am »
TotallyMaxed:

I'm trying to set up a linux MCE 7.10 core and MD system with two adapters.

I currently have a cable modem feeding a Linksys BEFSR41 router that then feeds my networked PC's.

I was first going to change the router into a switch and let the core assign DHCP IP addresses to the MD and all other networked PC's .....but then I didn't want to lose internet connectivity to my networked PC's if I was to either 1). dual boot the core into Ubuntu and/or 2). turn off the core.

So, I was thinking about trying to use my BEFSR41 in the following way - from cable modem to BEFSR41 WAN port ----from uplink on BEFSR41 to onboard lan on linux MCE core machine------from  PCI NIC card on linux MCE core machine to MD.

I was thinking that by using the uplink option I could still let the router assign DHCP for my external networked computers and also get external connectivity to the linux core....this way if I want to dual boot the core or shut down the core, I wouldn't loose my connectivity on the external networked computers.

Can this be done? Do I need to convert my router to a switch first?

This currently works as in I have internet connectivity to my networked PC's via the router (no changes to the router yet) and I have internet connectivity to the core--------what doesn't work is I can't get the MD to LAN boot....it's like the PCI NIC card in the core is not being recognized.

Here are my settings:

From the Linux MCE Launch manager/ open admin website/ advanced/ network/network settings/

the DHCP server on core is enabled

range of IP for pluto devices is: 192.168.80.2 - 192.168.80.128

range of IP for devices not in pluto database is: 192.168.80.129 - 192.168.80.254

the number of adapters is 2

External network card Eth1 - obtain IP address from DHCP

Internal network card eth0 - IP address is 192.168.80.1 - subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

From within the linux MCE launch manager - when viewing IP addresses, I have:

External_Iface = eth1
External_MAC= 00:1F:C6:11:9B:61
External_IP = 192.168.1.102
External_Netmask = 255.255.255.0
External_DHCP = 1

Internal_Iface = eth0
Internal_MAC= 00:1E:2A:CF:F5:50
Internal_IP = 192.168.80.1
Internal_Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.1
DNS1 = 68.105.28.12
DNS2 = 68.105.28.11

Any Ideas?

Thx,
Speedy :)

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 02:42:38 pm »
TotallyMaxed:

I'm trying to set up a linux MCE 7.10 core and MD system with two adapters.

I currently have a cable modem feeding a Linksys BEFSR41 router that then feeds my networked PC's.

I was first going to change the router into a switch and let the core assign DHCP IP addresses to the MD and all other networked PC's .....but then I didn't want to lose internet connectivity to my networked PC's if I was to either 1). dual boot the core into Ubuntu and/or 2). turn off the core.

So, I was thinking about trying to use my BEFSR41 in the following way - from cable modem to BEFSR41 WAN port ----from uplink on BEFSR41 to onboard lan on linux MCE core machine------from  PCI NIC card on linux MCE core machine to MD.

I was thinking that by using the uplink option I could still let the router assign DHCP for my external networked computers and also get external connectivity to the linux core....this way if I want to dual boot the core or shut down the core, I wouldn't loose my connectivity on the external networked computers.

Can this be done? Do I need to convert my router to a switch first?

This currently works as in I have internet connectivity to my networked PC's via the router (no changes to the router yet) and I have internet connectivity to the core--------what doesn't work is I can't get the MD to LAN boot....it's like the PCI NIC card in the core is not being recognized.

Here are my settings:

From the Linux MCE Launch manager/ open admin website/ advanced/ network/network settings/

the DHCP server on core is enabled

range of IP for pluto devices is: 192.168.80.2 - 192.168.80.128

range of IP for devices not in pluto database is: 192.168.80.129 - 192.168.80.254

the number of adapters is 2

External network card Eth1 - obtain IP address from DHCP

Internal network card eth0 - IP address is 192.168.80.1 - subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

From within the linux MCE launch manager - when viewing IP addresses, I have:

External_Iface = eth1
External_MAC= 00:1F:C6:11:9B:61
External_IP = 192.168.1.102
External_Netmask = 255.255.255.0
External_DHCP = 1

Internal_Iface = eth0
Internal_MAC= 00:1E:2A:CF:F5:50
Internal_IP = 192.168.80.1
Internal_Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.1
DNS1 = 68.105.28.12
DNS2 = 68.105.28.11

Any Ideas?

Thx,
Speedy :)

You can do the following;

Broadband router (issuing DHCP addresses) -> 1 x port connected to the WAN side port of your core. Other ports on Broadband router used for your PC's that are offered DHCP addresses by the router (these are not connected to your LinuxMCE WAN and must be separately cabled). WAN side of your Core connected to a Switch and then all MD's and other devices controlled by core are connected to ports of this Switch (or additional switches connected to it)...

Thats it two separate LAN's one offered DHCP addresses by the Broadband router with the Core's WAN side getting its address from this network too. The 2nd network is offered DHCP addresses by the Core (and only the Core).

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

boris

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 05:43:23 am »
WAN side of your Core connected to a Switch and then all MD's and other devices controlled by core are connected to ports of this Switch (or additional switches connected to it)...
Andrew

Andrew,
Did you mean "Internal side of your Core..."?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 07:06:41 am »
WAN side of your Core connected to a Switch and then all MD's and other devices controlled by core are connected to ports of this Switch (or additional switches connected to it)...
Andrew

Andrew,
Did you mean "Internal side of your Core..."?

Perhaps a typo for "LAN", but yes he was referring to the Internal NIC/network...