Author Topic: New DVD install - how to default to starting kubuntu?  (Read 3299 times)

unsolicited

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New DVD install - how to default to starting kubuntu?
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:14:15 am »
Just installed the DVD - how do I get kubuntu to start by default instead of just the launch manager?

(No, starting admin website doesn't actually start kubuntu / desktop / etc.)

Thanks.

- the wiki pages (installation) seem to cover all possibilities except for this one.
c. 2009 - ALL rights reserved. No duplication, in whole or in part, permitted.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: New DVD install - how to default to starting kubuntu?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:53 am »
Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking that option is only available on the CD installs. The DVD install is just a "snapshot" canned image dump of an existing installation, so there is very little configurability for that reason. The CDs go through a true installation which is why you get more opportunity to change things. You can probably change it post-install, but I don't know how... I presume you are setting up a "general purpose PC" that you want to run the core services in the background for other MDs? It really isn't that big a deal to wait a few extra seconds for the Orbiter to start up then select KDE Desktop. Then its as if you were always there.... you probably aren't going to reboot very often so its a fairly low impact thing

unsolicited

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:58:08 am »
Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking that option is only available on the CD installs. The DVD install is just a "snapshot" canned image dump of an existing installation, so there is very little configurability for that reason. The CDs go through a true installation which is why you get more opportunity to change things. You can probably change it post-install, but I don't know how... I presume you are setting up a "general purpose PC" that you want to run the core services in the background for other MDs? It really isn't that big a deal to wait a few extra seconds for the Orbiter to start up then select KDE Desktop. Then its as if you were always there.... you probably aren't going to reboot very often so its a fairly low impact thing

Intent = gateway. And everything including the kitchen sink in that role. ntp, anti-virus, ldap,
squid, anything else I can think of. i.e. System / network services for the house.

Particularly at initial installation and configuration, I expect, and am, rebooting frequently.

It is a rather high impact thing.

Thanks for the comment on DVD vis a vis CDs.

Found, at least part of, the answer. Copy kdm.saved to kdm in /etc/init.d.
(http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=1766.msg10412#msg10412)

Still missing the lmce icons / startup / gui's that I'm used to seeing in prior CD installs, though.

unsolicited

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 04:44:11 pm »
... The DVD install is just a "snapshot" canned image dump of an existing installation, so there is very little configurability for that reason. ...

Thanks for the note as to the 'intent' of the discs.

I've put the DVD install on hold for the moment, swapped in a 12GB disk (this will be core only), and started with the CDs. It feels like if I want an ubergateway with LinuxMCE core added, I'll have a happier Linux experience by starting with Kubuntu loading first.

I'm thinking to fire up Kubuntu then add LinuxMCE ASAP. Then, as I work through Kubuntu I should run into anything that lmce over-rides sooner rather than later, so deal with it. (As opposed to making the perfect ubergateway, then adding lmce and getting schmucked and having to do X all over again.) e.g. DHCP.

Can anyone advise as to areas to watch for / pay special attention to, as I go through this process? e.g. I understand my dhcpd.conf file will get over-written at each MAC address add / remove (network device un/detected). Are there other gotchas to keep an eye out for?

Thanks.

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:25:38 am »
Just installed the DVD - how do I get kubuntu to start by default instead of just the launch manager?

I just set up my system to do this very thing.  It only ended up taking the addition of one line to the right script.  See http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Bittorrent_Setup_Guide#Make_KDE_Desktop_Launch_Automatically_at_Boot for details.

KDE Desktop launches automatically as does the launch manager.  The on-screen orbiter still takes over, but I suspect there's a way to stop that too if you wanted.

Hope that helps you,

Alex