Author Topic: No media discovered after install  (Read 3237 times)

arif

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
No media discovered after install
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:18 pm »
Hi,

After going through the install process lmce is not finding any of my music nor the pictures. I've done the following:

1. Standard install
2. Copy about all the artist directories into public/audio directory

After doing this I don't see any music in the UI2 Media area.

I then tried to connect a usb drive with some media (in many subdirectories). As soon as I connected the drive lmce asked if I wanted to use it for storing media. Though, no media was found by lmce even though there's gigs of files.

My question is: How do I tell lmce to scan a folder and add all the media files it finds?

Thanks,
Arif

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: No media discovered after install
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:12:31 pm »
1. Standard install

Please define "Standard install". DVD? CD? 0810alpha or 0710?
2. Copy about all the artist directories into public/audio directory

How did you copy the files? Did you use a second PC and mounted the share, or did you copy it on the core itself? Do you have the permissions/owner (root:public) correct on the files? Did you copy it into /public/audio, or into /home/public/data/audio?

Usually UpdateMedia scans for new files every couple of minutes, and should have found files.

arif

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:21:00 pm »
1. I did a DVD install of 0710
2. The files were copied directly onto the core from the mounted usb drive. They were copied into /home/public/data/audio/.
3. I will have to check the permissions and get back on that.

Note: The .mp3 files are in subdirectories. Though this should not make a difference since the scan should be recursive.

Thanks,
Arif

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:33:08 pm »
Note: The .mp3 files are in subdirectories.

this does not matter.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »
login to the web admin page - goto the 'files and media' drop down click on 'media files sync'

navigate to the 'audio' directory confirm that your audio is there.  If it is there and black text then it is not in the database, if the text is green then it is in the database and should show up.

Hit the 'Resynchronize' button and let it run it may take some time.  This should go and find media in this directory and any sub directories but may take a while.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:08:23 am »
- If there is a _lot_ of media, it will take a few hours before it is all scanned into the database

- Have all your mp3 files got id3 metadata tags? If not, you will only see them when you choose the Filename sort mode in the UI (ie not the Title, Performer, etc sort modes, after all it has no information upon which to provide that sorting without the meta data)

- Note that any network shares (or external drives) that you add, and it discovers, it will ask you whether you want to use the LinuxMCE folder structure - ideally, you should say Yes to this, it will create a similar folder structure on the drive, then you move your media into the appropriate folders on that external drive/share... without using that option, un-tagged media will be invisible even in Filename sort mode

- As mentioned, use the web admin to determine whether the files are visible and in the database... absent means they are not even visible, black text with a drive icon means they are visible but not scanned into the database for some reason, green text with a big tick icon means they are visible and in the database. There is also a tick box option to show files that are in the database but not online, if they are there then it would suggest that the system doesn't see your drive as online for some reason.