Author Topic: Older Epia Motherboard problems.  (Read 3634 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Older Epia Motherboard problems.
« on: November 15, 2005, 02:00:55 am »
Hello,
         I am trying to get an older Via Epia motherboard to pxe boot as a media director. I have been able to get around the 686 bug by installing a 386 kernel on the core.

Before installing the 386 whenever I would define a new media director and pxe boot the epia it would reboot once it loaded the kernel.

By installing a 386 kernel on the core I am now able to pxe boot fine (since a 386 kernel is passed over pxe boot) and the activation script starts to do its thing. I keep getting errors when the ConfirmDependencies_Debian.sh script tries to install the kernel-image-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 package. It complains about stale NFS handles, but I don't think it's worth figuring out why it is failing. I do not even want the kernel-image-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686 package to install on this media director.

Can someone tell me where in the scripts or what method to use in order to suppress the installation of this kernel?

I tried to hold my kernel in dpkg but that did not do the trick. Any other ideas?

Jack Gassett.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Older Epia Motherboard problems.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 05:43:32 pm »
You can bypass this by installing the 686 kernel on the diskless filesystem (the kernel running on the Core will be used). Look into the "/usr/pluto/bin/Create_Diskless_FS.sh" script to see how the kernel is installed. Installing the kernel on a running diskless machine gives you that "NFS stale handles" error and locks up. There's a hard dependency on that kernel so this is the only way to bypass your problem.