Author Topic: asus m2n spdif problems  (Read 4832 times)

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
asus m2n spdif problems
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:50:16 pm »
ok ive looked everywhere i can think

i cannot get the spdif to work.  ive gone through alsamixer and there is no spdif setting to unmute (or ied958)  the options are CD, Mic and then speakers.  when i run aplay -L this i get normal speaker outputs but this is the digital outputs

PnP Audio Device        , USB Audio
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=default,DEV=0
    PnP Audio Device        , USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

iec958 - null  how can i fix this?? ive tried using the onboard spdif and even tried hooking up a spdif card to the jumpers with no luck...  ive googled the problem many times and even people with the mn board say theirs works fine.  if i run avwizard and select spdif i get sound through the analog jack.... im almost ready to give up and output each channel to my reciever through minijacks and rca cables (which i would rather not do)   anyone please...

-Jon

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: asus m2n spdif problems
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:48:04 pm »
bump....  if noone can has any ideas on solving this does anyone recomend a good sound card with optical or coaxil out for under say 50$??
-Jon

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:03:54 pm »
I know it works on that platform. First either use the AV wizard on startup or go to the media director page in the web admin panel to select SPDIF output. I don't know that there is a different between optical or coax in this case, they both get the same drive signal. The SPDIF output seems to require some changes in the setting for seveal applications. The output is controlled through PCM and IEC958 settings on Alsamixer. The IEC958 is 4 from the right end- you will need to scroll the control point to the right to see it.

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:37:09 pm »
it should work... thats what so frustrating about it...  its not in alsamixer...  must be a bad part of the motherboard or something..  thats my only guess
-Jon

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:26:46 pm »
Hi,

I have this board, but never used the s/pdif out. Thought i'd give it a go since you have had problems and, although I had no sound during the av wizard, I loaded up alsamixer and increased the PCM volume and got sound out (was quite scratchy, but I put this down to too high a volume).

NOTE: In the av wizard I selected no to dolby and dts (despite not hearing anything either way)

I haven't altered any other settings - my LMCE is a clean install. I haven't changed any BIOS settings either. Not being able to get sound out may be result of faulty hardware 
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:03:55 pm »
If you are up for it do the following:

Would you download this script, as below, run it, and post the link to
pastebin back. It may well provide some useful info about your machine,
soundcard, etc.

http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

Its requires a little Linux expertise but we can then figure out whats going on in your machine.

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 02:58:13 am »
yeah it doesnt make a whole lot of since why its not working... i broke down and ordered a sound card this morning but if i can get this working itd be nice to have the sound card for something else maybe....  heres the link to that script output...  thanks for the help

http://pastebin.ca/937602
-Jon

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 04:33:28 am »
Its says you are using a USB audio device. Ithat was also noted earlier but the only sound module loded was the USB audio module.  The on board audio should be the HDA nvidia. Exactly which motherboard is it? I'm using an M2NPV-VM. I'm also using an M2N-E. The M2N-E uses a realtek audio chipset I think. But your system has found a USB audio device and loaded it. The USB audio device does not have an SPDIF (IEC958) output per the modprobe.

Its acting like your not using the on board audio at all.

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:21:06 pm »
Yeah, that sounds like you either have a sound out device on your pvr card or some other device.

I'd suggest removing any device that may have sound out on it and re-install LMCE.

You can replace such devices after the install (and after you have checked your spdif)

If you don't want to re-install then download the alsa drivers and configure alsa to the intel hda driver.
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 02:59:37 pm »
is the m2n-e-sli..  the audio is accually through the ubs controller or something like that... from what ive read on the board the onboard sound can have troubles..  ive even tried disableing the usb audio in the bios and trying it but got no sound at all.  no other cards are connected to the computer (only video, only usb is a uirt)
-Jon