Author Topic: Keyboard Shortcuts  (Read 2259 times)

corcorelli

• View Profile
Keyboard Shortcuts
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:41:23 pm »
First off, thanks to those who have helped me along in my first installation by posting here. I'm two weeks in and have met / overcome various obstacles through searching previous threads (I'm happy to post the full details if this would help anyone - if so, where's the best place to do this?)

However I've now hit an issue that I can't seem to google my way out of. I have everything working on 7.10 B4 with VDR and a Gyration MCE remote and wireless keyboard. All I'm missing now is the 'wife interface'. I want to set up all screens / packages to operate from the remote and with no use of the gyro mouse (wife's words - I hate it, just hate it).

I have two options, that I can see:
1) Use xmodmap and evrouter to map the remote keys in their native USB keyboard mode.
2) I can hack about to get the remote loaded as a standard LIRC remote.

Advantage with (1) is that I'm already half way down that route and I have got a simple xmodmap working based on ...
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Using_the_Gyration_Remote_GYR3101US_%28Non-Fiire_Chief%29

Disadvantage with (1) is that I need to know the keyboard shortcuts for all applications / plugins / UIs concerned and this information seems hard to come by so, first questions:
- Apart from trial and error, how can I find out which keys do what in an application? By way of example ...
- In the VDR documentation it relates all controls to 'generic' IR remote buttons. I have no keys on my keyboard that generate these codes, so my enjoyment of VDR is limited. I'm hoping I can fix this with evrouter.
- Using the LMCE UI is my fall back. Also here I'm using trial and error to find keystrokes. I also fall foul of the 'no mouse' rule. For example page up / down seem to scroll through pictures / music lists but don't work with the tv schedules.

So far I haven't started on option 2. My question here was whether I'd find things either easier or more flexible if I did?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Joe

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard Shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:25 pm »
The best place would be to put articles in the wiki, if you can do this :) Or editing existing articles, if you see that issues are already described there, to update them.