Author Topic: MCE install hangs on Kubuntu splash screen...  (Read 6966 times)

rob_cod

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djmugshot
Re: MCE install hangs on Kubuntu splash screen...
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 11:36:59 pm »
Hello again,

I thank you for your honesty, I must admit I'm about ready to set fire to this Asus mainboard and put it out of its (and mine) considerable misery.  I initially bought this board as I was trying to be clever and create a small form MCE from Myth (mini ATX) to sit under my TV.  Probably one of my worst IT related decisions!

I tried the 'Recovery mode' but I just ended up with a near identical list of errors within 30 seconds.  So I'm ready to quit while I'm behind now.  I'm tempted to go into how long I've wasted my time on trying to get this hunk of junk working under linux but I'd only embarrass myself further!

So, my next option is to transplant my other PC into a Linux MCE install.

I have an Intel D875PBZ (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/index.htm) which from what I google seemed to be usable under Kubuntu (with some reports of hyper threading issues).

Is there anyway I can confirm that this board will work? (its not listed on the wiki - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Mainboards)

My final option would be to buy a new motherboard that definitely works with LMCE, but then I'm forced into investing in a new CPU and new RAM - and if at that stage it still didn't work I can imagine I'd be more than a little upset, 'postal' might be a better phrase!

I've looked at the pre-built cores for sale such as the Fiire box and others but they seem awful expensive for what you get.

Finally should I document my struggles with the Asus board on the wiki so that other people can avoid?  or will other people fair better than a linux newbie?

Thanks again for your help.

Nice one,

Bob.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 02:16:50 am »
Bob, you're certainly not alone on this.  There seem to be more than a few incompatible mainboards out there unfortunately.  I think it would be helpful to others to post your findings in the wiki if that's allowed.  I think a lot of people search these forums too and will find this thread if not in the wiki.

I went through something of the same when I started.  Trying to recycle some old or cheap hardware for this project.  And for a while I also considered the Fiire products.  Reviews are less than stellar for them however.  I finally resolved to build a fresh core and md with all new hardware.  All said and done I was probably around $1k(US).  For some that might seem steep up front, but for me, getting past frustrations like these were well worth the investment.  (not to mention of course the great system I can now use).

So I would say not to lose hope on this.  Try out the other PC you were talking about, but also consider building your own as well (save yourself a heart attack).

Also don't beat yourself up as a linux noob.  We were all asking questions at some time.  And personally I get a good feeling answering those "dumb" questions that fly low enough for me to answer.

BlueFiero85

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 01:37:12 am »
I must say i have similar issues with hanging screens...mouse/Keyboard didnt respond after using Kubuntu for a while. Now using PS2 for mouse and keyboard and it seems to go fine now. Also enabled PS/2 support in Bios.

Continueing on this type of Mainboard, i have myself a Asus P5P800, sofar so good Kubuntu 7.04 works, but there is a but....

The situation is that the Nic and Sound are integrated, further im using a MSI Geforce 6800/128Mb
- Sound works
- Nic doesnt work....

No matter what i try, disable onboard nic and insert a 3com nic or disable onboard sound and using an old SB Live! 5.1. Even disable both onboard..makes no sense..Nic refuse to work aslong there is a soundboard working

I found out when i disable my Sound the Nic start to work..so an IRQ issue. No sound on a MD is like a car without wheels!
Then in the Bios I disabled some unneccessary things to free up IRQ's...Parallel port, Floppydisk, SerialPort 2. Dont know if there is a better option? Still the Eth0 gets paired always with some other device on a particular IRQ, something i dont want...

-- Not yet tried to disable all USB as i dont use any on this MD device *yet*. Maybe i should just give up and buy a 45 dollar working Mobo, but its a challenge to get things working though... it might even work, as the Eth0 is paired now with USB devices.

So...to be continued.. ;)

rob_cod

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djmugshot
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 01:56:52 pm »
Is the onboard 'Intel Extreme2' video card installed ok for you or do you get the 'open gl' error when choosing UI2?

Or perhaps you have an external card working?   I'd be interested to read your complete setup.

Nice one,

Rob.