Author Topic: blank screen when starting to install 64bit  (Read 4642 times)

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
blank screen when starting to install 64bit
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:04:12 am »
im able tosetup and run the 32bit linuxmce fine but when i try to load the 64 bit dvd i get the install screen, i choose install and then i get no video signal.. not even a black screen, im using vga but also tried through dvi with the same results.  computer is an amd 4200 64bit x2.   any ideas??
-Jon

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: blank screen when starting to install 64bit
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:43:20 pm »
Is the setup actuall completing and starting the AVWizard?  You would here a series of beeps if it did.

If you heard the beeps, then it just means the video is not outputting correctly.  I have had this problem on several computer so far, I just had to choose my output and resolution manually use the number keys as illustrated by the pinned topic in this board.

Otherwise.... while your at a blank screen is there any hard drive activity?  Does it seem like the install is still progressing?  If so, then allow it to progress until you here the beeps indicating the AVWizard has started up, then follow the instructions as mentioned previously.  The install is automated after you tell it which hard drive to use and before the AVWizard comes up.

If neither of those apply, then i'm sorry I don't know what to suggest other than settle with the i386 version.  And in i386 versions defense, i'm running the amd64 and I notice absolutely no performance difference, the only real difference between 32bit and 64bit versions is the ability to utilize more than the 4gb limit of memory.  I could be wrong and called a moron again... whatever...   (how many limits they going to impose on us, first it was 640k, then it was 2gb, now another 4gb whats next?)
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:52:26 pm »
it goes blank right after i press "install" i dont know how far it gets into it but there is a prompt somewhere you have to hit i know..  ill try again in a bit and see if i can get it working blind
-Jon

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:57:12 pm »
About 2 minutes after hitting install, it asks you one of two questions.  If you've previously had lmce installed on the hard drive then it first asks you

Would you like to keep your old settings?
(y/n)

Then it asks you which hard drive to install on, giving you a list of numbers to choose from.  If you have only 1 drive, then hit the 1 key and enter.

so anyways, you say you installed i386 fine, so you probably know what keys you need to press.

otherwise it's locking up right when it attempts to load the kernel... meaning it doesn't like your system.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:43:41 am »
i was able to walk through it blond and get it working...  for some reason the video shuts off in between the system boot and the os boot    no loading screens
-Jon

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:51:50 am »
A couple of had this problem with b3- http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4236.0 

I didn't find a solution (with the 64b version) and haven't had time to experiment for a while- 32b version works no problem.

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: blank screen when starting to install 64bit -- workaround
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:51:26 pm »
I had the same problem with my amd 64 x2 4200+ am2 socket.

I found a solution to get the install DVD to boot and run through install, I needed to do the same thing to install from Kubuntu 710 64bit version.

when it first starts and you get the install option, press F6.  Scroll to the right of the boot options, replace the ".../initrd.gz quiet splash --" with ".../initrd.gz quiet noapic --" at the end of the string.

It still have a couple errors, but after a minute or so went through.

thavinci

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 01:41:20 am »
I had the same issue here.
Pop in the dvd boots off DVD enters splash screen, i select install.
Black screen, TV No Signal. Just dead all round.

Followed orionsune's advise to do blind install, and i think it has worked as it eventually spat out the dvd and rebooted.

Excited to try it out i was presented with splash screen again booting off HDD to which once again i was presented with no signal on DVI and S-Video. The system does however now make funny beeping sound. Soon after i tried pushing 5 to select S-Video as output however nothing works. Eventually it seems the system dies. Num lock fails to go on off , CTRL-ALT-DEL doesnt reboot system, just dead.

Using beta 3 64 bit.

What now?

Pabla007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:42 am »
I have try to set 64amd, I was un able to. I download so many DVD and burn and none of them worked.

it goes blank right after i press "install" i dont know how far it gets into it but there is a prompt somewhere you have to write command line.
I really need help.