Author Topic: Internet Radio/TV streaming  (Read 5846 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Internet Radio/TV streaming
« on: March 04, 2008, 01:23:41 am »
I logged a Mantis feature request for the Xine functionality to be expanded to allow Internet Radio streaming (and perhaps TV), as this is an area that is missing on LMCE, and that I found very useful on previous appliance media players. Xine appears to have all the capabilities requires to start an Internet stream and play it, so it seems to be a matter of adding a media grid and media type, plus the scenario and code to trigger the right options for xine to play it. Would be a great addition....

The response I got was essentially - you can do this by buying a Squeezebox and setting up another room, then loading Squeezeserver on the core.... I think this is a very surprising response to say the least! This boils down to - buy some extra hardware rather than a relatively simple extension of the existing system at no cost. After all, LMCE is supposed to be an "all in one" system.

Does anybody else agree with this? Or would like to see Internet Radio (/TV) added to the functionality? Bulek has already added his support into the Mantis ticket. If you are interested, could you indicate here? Or better yet, add your comments to the Mantis ticket - http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=4012

The more people vote this way, the more chance we have of getting it taken up as a task!

Rgds
Colin

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
Re: Internet Radio/TV streaming
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:13:18 am »
Well I use internet radio daily on my linuxmce system.

I simply launch the computing/youtube link to launch a web browser and then goto the internet radio stations page I want and click on the listen iink same as I would on my windows pc. The firefox browser then launches the stream to play using the built in mplayer.

This works great for me, Except for the fact that once the screen saver kicks in the browser windows dissappears and to close it I either have to launch a kde desktop to close it or just simply reloathe router.

kow this is not a perfect solution by any means. Would be great to be able to add it is a source in the audio section of the orbiter but seems much better than having to buy external hardware.

Regards

d3vice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:38:56 am »
I also think that web content is a great feature for LinuxMCE. Not only with Xine playing streaming but also grabbing all those video and audio casts in rss feeds. (think internet shows like cranky geeks, diggnation, national geographic/discovery bits, etc...).

Maybe that could mean:

- Storage of video / audio files like "episodes" and recorded streams. Core and/or MD ?
- Grab listings from suppliers (shoutcast, rss feeds, etc...).
- Favorites? Profiles?

I also posted this: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4483.0

What do you people think?

Best Regards!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:21:51 am »
Agreed - but even just getting the basic streaming working initially would be a fairly low level of effort given the xine should be doing most of the actual work... either way, I forgot to mention that I extended this mantis and some previous ones, where I had asked for mp3 player sync functionality, to include vod/podcast functionality which seems to be what you are aiming at. Essentially, 2 feature requests I made previously could be minimally extended to provide 4 different new functions and really take the multimedia side of it to the next level...

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:49:47 pm »
Just to provide references for everyone reading this topic:

Mantis issue for Internet Radio: http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=4012
How-to for the creating custom scenario to play Internet Radio in current LMCE (until the new shining support for radio will be added): http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Internet_Radio

ste_b_79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:53:36 pm »
I just found this post when searching for streaming TV.

I am wondering if LinuxMCE would be able to use/plans for it to use the TV streaming from Internet?

If so will there be a wiki page for supported types (eg Miro - http://www.getmiro.com)

Does anyone know of any of Linux supported PC Sattelite TV programs? There seems to be many for Windows but I can't find any for Linux (apart from Miro).

I don't have any DVB capture cards and i am wondering if LinuxMCE will support Sattellite TV to PC within it's user Interface

slapshot

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 12:11:22 pm »
I posted this link in the feature request and roadmap forum:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6056.0
Because I didn't want to go out and purchase a Sirius home receiver when I can access it on line. Like others, I have been going to the computing menu, then to the website and logging in and selecting my stations (but this has not worked for a while though). I would prefer to have a one click option in LMCE.

~John

PS - I am also new here, do I have to create a separate login for mantis. I already have one for the wiki and for the forums
Core/Hybrid:
Asus M2NPV-VM w/ AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+
2 GB Ram, 40 GB Quantum Fireball HDD
WinTV PVR-150 Tuner
Philips 42" Plasma Television
Wiimote

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 02:03:26 pm »
All,

I might be misreading the posts here but Internet Radio / Streaming is already available:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Internet_Radio

I have a BBC News button on my orbiters (including the Nokia n810) that starts this with a single click. Works a treat. Browsing different stations and TV is another matter of course ;-)

Cheers,
WR.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:15:17 am »
WR - correct, if you look back through this thread, the original stream is quiet old. The wiki page you refer to was setup around then to make it easier (it still just a workaround, not true LMCE media), and my provider, Internode have a few dozen Internet Radio sites repeated to their customers.

The question of TV is somewhat stickier, as most of these providers are not true continuous channel streamers. They are fixed blocks of content you can call upon. Moreover, they are usually embedded within their own web UI that forms part of the experience, which makes integration with LMCE a messy process at best...

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 03:40:07 pm »
WR - correct, if you look back through this thread, the original stream is quiet old. The wiki page you refer to was setup around then to make it easier (it still just a workaround, not true LMCE media), and my provider, Internode have a few dozen Internet Radio sites repeated to their customers.

The question of TV is somewhat stickier, as most of these providers are not true continuous channel streamers. They are fixed blocks of content you can call upon. Moreover, they are usually embedded within their own web UI that forms part of the experience, which makes integration with LMCE a messy process at best...

Ahh yes - overlooked the posted dates ;)