Author Topic: two question on setting up internal network..  (Read 6650 times)

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
two question on setting up internal network..
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:37:13 pm »
1. should the internal network's cat5 cable be plugged into internal network's switch's wan port or a lan port?
2. is there any wiki on what config needs to be done on a router to work as a switch.. for example disable to dhcp.. etc..

thanks
rednus

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: two question on setting up internal network..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:45:00 pm »
1. should the internal network's cat5 cable be plugged into internal network's switch's wan port or a lan port?Switch does not have a WAN port. If your trying to use your router as a switch, im not sure if the WAN port would work.
2. is there any wiki on what config needs to be done on a router to work as a switch.. for example disable to dhcp.. etc.. If you simply disable dhcp on it, all internal ports will act like a switch, Im not sure what would need to be done (if at all possible) to use the WAN port.

thanks
rednus

you might want to consider just getting a switch, a little 5 port can run pretty cheap if its 10/100.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »
Answers:

1.  Like rednus said switches do not have WAN ports.  If you mean a Router configured as a switch - then it depends on the device, newer Linksys WRT54G's when configured as a switch convert the WAN port to a LAN port and therefore you will have 5 LAN ports.  Older ones (like mine) do not and therefore only 4 ports are usable as a switch.  It will work if you connect to the LAN port, It may work if you connect to the WAN port.  I would suggest getting it working with LAN port before even atempting to use the WAN port.

2.  I created a WIKI specific to the Linksys WRT54G (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G).  In general you need to do the following:

a.  Disable the firewall
b.  change the local IP adress to something within the Core's Range
c.  re-logon to the new IP address
d.  Disable the DHCP server

do them in order.  see the wiki page for more details.

If you do want to just buy a switch, I bought 2 x D-Link DGS-2205 5-port 10/100/1000 Desktop Switch from Amazon for $25 each (after rebates)

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:46:48 pm »
hi guys..

thanks for the replies..

yes I meant using the router as a switch.. i have a zyxel NGB318S.. i specifically went with this model instead of a standard switch is because this router has built in Homeplug router, which will be the com method instead of cat5 cables.. the items near core and core itself are connected to lan ports via the cat5 cable to the router.. and others will be using home plug..

and for the config.. yes i have looked at your netgear router's wiki.. i will give it a try and see if it works for my router..

cheers
rednus

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:05:15 pm »
I just uploaded a logical diagram of my home network, hope it helps:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Image:Nosebreaker_lmce_diagram.png

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »
nosebreaker,

Any particular reason you have half your network external and half internal?

I used to be set up like this but now I just have everything on the internal network and let my core rule.  it means you would be able to get rid of your second wifi access point at the very least. 

Does your WIFI Bridge work well?  I had a Linksys WGA54G set up like this, it worked OK but sometimes it would lose connection but at the time I was having a few problems.  I should try this again.  Perhaps between us we should create a WIKI page explaining how to set these two devices up and experiences.  Perhaps a new category - Wireless or Wifi bridge within the Network category

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:47:07 pm »
nosebreaker,

I used to be set up like this but now I just have everything on the internal network and let my core rule.  it means you would be able to get rid of your second wifi access point at the very least. 

Does your WIFI Bridge work well?  I had a Linksys WGA54G set up like this, it worked OK but sometimes it would lose connection but at the time I was having a few problems.  I should try this again.  Perhaps between us we should create a WIKI page explaining how to set these two devices up and experiences.  Perhaps a new category - Wireless or Wifi bridge within the Network category

On the wireless bridge topic...

I have setup a few WRE54G's at friends and familys houses to extend their wireless range. This device also acts as a Wifi Bridge. There is a single rj-45 port on it which can be connected to a nearby PC via cat5. I do not know if this can go into a hub for multiple devices, but I do not see why it couldnt. Ill give that a test next time I get a chance.

It is also extremely easy to setup to boot!

link: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-G-Range-Expander-WRE54G/dp/B00021XIJW

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 10:41:46 am »
I'm actually looking at this type of configuration, at least initially.

It's all about WAF. My existing Linux setup has had a few issues and, as I work away, the family have been left with no internet. Not good! The problem was actually with my router, but that's another story! I ended up taking my Linux server out of the link and allowing the home PCs to connect directly to the router.

My plan is to add my core to the existing network and begin with my MDs etc behind it. After much testing, I intend to move the kids PCs and the portable devices (iPod touch's, PSPs etc) and then, if there seems to be a tangiable benefit to doing so, my wife's and my laptops.

My wife is very IT (but not Linux) literate and gets very frustrated when something goes wrong and she can't fix it directly herself. Until I have established exactly how stable MCE is, I daren't risk her internet link  ;)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 11:07:39 am »
It's all about WAF.
[..]
My wife is very IT (but not Linux) literate[..]Until I have established exactly how stable MCE is, I daren't risk her internet link  ;)

I can fully understand your motivation  :D

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 05:08:01 pm »
I'm actually looking at this type of configuration, at least initially.

It's all about WAF. My existing Linux setup has had a few issues and, as I work away, the family have been left with no internet. Not good! The problem was actually with my router, but that's another story! I ended up taking my Linux server out of the link and allowing the home PCs to connect directly to the router.

My plan is to add my core to the existing network and begin with my MDs etc behind it. After much testing, I intend to move the kids PCs and the portable devices (iPod touch's, PSPs etc) and then, if there seems to be a tangiable benefit to doing so, my wife's and my laptops.

My wife is very IT (but not Linux) literate and gets very frustrated when something goes wrong and she can't fix it directly herself. Until I have established exactly how stable MCE is, I daren't risk her internet link  ;)

I'm in the same boat......I'm trying to set up a core and an MD and I have limited opportunity to do so as the family needs their internet connection. I got the core up & running and it was assigning DHCP addresses to all of the house computers,but I couldn't get the MD to be recognized.

I miss having a Linux Ubuntu machine that is now my core as all the other computers in the house run a windows OS. I'm thinking of starting over and keeping the core and MD's downstream of the router for the same reason...stability/reliability.

Tenacity and perserverance will prevail......The best of luck to you!  :)

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:45:07 am »
Tenacity and perserverance will prevail......The best of luck to you!
Let us hope so!

Thanks, and to you too!  ;D
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »
I miss having a Linux Ubuntu machine that is now my core

Why not use the core as your workstation?

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:39:46 am »
nosebreaker,

On the wireless bridge topic...

I have setup a few WRE54G's at friends and familys houses to extend their wireless range. This device also acts as a Wifi Bridge. There is a single rj-45 port on it which can be connected to a nearby PC via cat5. I do not know if this can go into a hub for multiple devices, but I do not see why it couldnt. Ill give that a test next time I get a chance.

It is also extremely easy to setup to boot!

link: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-G-Range-Expander-WRE54G/dp/B00021XIJW

Well to be honest, my LMCE system isn't working "properly" right now and it goes offline every day or two.  The packet forwarding part works fine, but with my fiddling with the arrary or ip cameras or some other thing I need normal internet to work.  Plus it doesn't play MKV files properly, so I'm booting into Vista every day or so just to watch a MKV.

My wifi bridge works, its a bit slower to boot than the wired of course, but it does work fine.  I had previously tried 10MB ethernet-over-power devices and those proved too slow for it to boot with.

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 01:32:52 pm »
I miss having a Linux Ubuntu machine that is now my core

Why not use the core as your workstation?

I didn't think this was possible if my core is only a core and not a hybrid setup. My work around to keep Ubuntu alive and well is that I installed VMware on a windows OS machine and install Ubuntu as a virtual OS. Man I love technology!!