Author Topic: X10 and Insteon.  (Read 3572 times)

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
X10 and Insteon.
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:01:07 pm »
Hey guys I'm still a novice to this whole MCE thing but it's great! Now I'm trying to figure out what to do for my lighting situation and I was wondering if I could have the insteon relay the signal to the x10 or if I will still need an x10 device for the x10 appliances?

I'm looking to do both Insteon for the rooms that are of vital importance that they respond in a timely manner and the x10 are going in the hallways and my kitchen ect rooms that aren't as important to me.

Any tips or if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: X10 and Insteon.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:07:47 pm »
 :)
Firstly, Welcome Aboard.
The Insteon PLM template currently does not support X10. It tries, but I have never been successful. What I have done is this, until Insteon support gets better.

I have an Insteon PLM on a development box. I have 2 Insteon Lamp Dimmer Modules, and 1 Insteon Keypad Dimmer. Here is how I actually use them:

I have Hooked up to my core 1 cm11a X10 controller. Throughout the house I have several X10 lamp dimmers, dimmer switches, motion sensors, and XPS3 on/off switches. The insteon modules I have assigned X10 addresses for now. They are always reliable, and work much faster than traditional X10 devices. The Keypad dimmer switch I have has a local ON/OFF as well as 6 keypad buttons. These six buttons I have set to different X10 addresses, and it controls the X10 devices assigned to the buttons.

For example, The local switch controls the ceiling fan in that room, and the buttons:
1 - Kitchen sink light - A9
2 - Living room ceiling fan - A2
3 - Living room lamps - A3
4 - Foyer lamp - A4
5 - Master bedroom light (insteon lamp dimmer - linked the insteon way - also assigned X10 address B2 so the system can control it)
6 - Girls bedroom lamps (insteon lamp dimmer - linked the insteon way - also assigned address B3 so the system can control it)

SO you can use the high quality Insteon stuff for insteon devices as well as X10 devices.

This is currently the most reliable way to use Insteon and X10 with LMCE.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:56:21 pm »
Thanks Seth!

I'd hadn't considered that approach.  Interesting.  Lot cheaper than going pure Insteon.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers.

ace195

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:28:49 pm »
Ha I was confused there for a minute because my name is Seth as well. But Seth thanks for the insight now I know what route I'm going to go because I do want some insteon systems but I'm not willing to pay $50 per light switch at this junction in my life.

Thanks,

Seth