Author Topic: Installation issues on .31  (Read 3629 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Installation issues on .31
« on: November 25, 2005, 03:47:13 pm »
hey there, i have several suggestions for improving the Core setup process, here goes:

- X and firefox should be installed on the Core, it's kind of annoying having to use another PC to browse the pluto_admin site
- Network_Setup.sh creates an empty gateway entry on /etc/network/interface if it is not configured, this in turn does not allow the ifup command to work
- Update_Packages.sh should perform a check for internet connectivity before going to work, again it's kind of annoying having to wait until the script ends with a lot of timeouts in between
- 'joe', gotta have it, nano sucks

also, i noticed that .32 was released, is there a place where i can see what was changed from .31?

keep up the good work!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:59:36 am »
http://plutohome.com/support/index.php?section=versions&package=0
here you can see the changes from one version to another

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:40:21 pm »
The Core is actually designed to go into a closet/rack/server room, so installing X and Firefox on it didn't fit in the design decisions back then.

It is assumed that you have all connection parameters (gateway included) set up, that's why Network_Setup.sh does that.

In .33, The timeout was reduced to 10 seconds for apt, so it should be a little less. Still working on/thinking about a large scale internet check integration so if you don't have a internet connection, the net related ops don't execute.

We use vim, not nano :) so vim is installed there and nano is just a fallback editor for early stage install problems when vim is not available (since I can't stand vi).