Author Topic: Installation feature  (Read 2773 times)

qvindesland

• View Profile
Installation feature
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:52:53 am »
Hello List,

I am just wondering if it would be possible to allow the user during the installation to add in a fixed ip address, currently I cant see that feature, the reason for why I am asking is that I see that the dhcp server is failing to start since I added the Linuxmce into my ip segment it fails to start the dhcp server this would perhaps also make it a bit easier for the average user to enjoy all the features, also a second thing how come that bind9 is installed by default? as far as I can see there is no real use of it on a small home network on every linuxmce installation that I have done it always fails to start up, ill end up disabling it since it is not really needed.

Regards
Per

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Installation feature
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:31:18 pm »
Siunds like you'd like to use the CD installer instead.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Installation feature
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 04:34:19 pm »
Not shure why you think a fixed ip has something to do with the dhcp server failing to start?!?
And why add something that is already there?!?

When installing LinxuMCE it uses a fixed ip on it's LAN adapter, and the DHCP server is for all other devices on the LAN. On the wan side LinuxMCE tries to contact a DHCP server on your internet connection (This can later be changed in the webadmin if you use another type of internet connection like static ip or ppoe).

Did you read the install guide and requirements? Did you use 2 network cards? And before you ask for a install with one card, don't... It needs 2 network cards one for LAN and one for WAN and YES it has to be the DHCP server!

You can howerver set up your server like this (You still need 2 network cards):
Modem->LinuxMCE->LAN
Modem->Router->LinuxMCE->LAN
Modem->Router->LAN1->LinuxCME->LAN2