Author Topic: Install Problem: AVWIZARD Cannot Start X  (Read 3640 times)

scoob8000

• View Profile
Install Problem: AVWIZARD Cannot Start X
« on: September 10, 2008, 02:45:29 am »
Getting this error with a blue screen with an okay button.  Cannot press okay.

Searched, and found someone with the same issue and sombody suggested this:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Now the system boots up and sits at "Startting UPNP media server fuppesd"   [OK]

I cannot switch to another terminal (ctrl-alt-Fx), ctrl-c does nothing, however ctrl-alt-del reboots the system.

Mobo/Video is:  Biostar Tforce 7050-M2, using onboard video with s-video out.  I've seen wiki entries with folks running this same setup.

[edit] I had a working install of Kubuntu before installing LinuxMCE.  I was using the "proprietary nvidia drivers" at that point.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:49:33 am by scoob8000 »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Install Problem: AVWIZARD Cannot Start X
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 04:17:56 am »
1) Don't try to install LMCE over an existing Kubuntu installation unless you only just installed it and didn't allow it to update anything at all - it must be vanilla

2) Only Kubuntu 0710 will work

3) Don't use the CD installation method unless the DVD method didn't work

4) Read your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file - it will tell you where X is failing to start up and why. You can just hit ESC during the GRUB boot menu and select recovery if that makes it easier to read this file.

scoob8000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:09:32 pm »
I may just try the reinstall again.  It was a vanilla install, with the exception of the nvidia drivers.

This system needs to be dual booted with windows.  It was my understanding this cannot be done with the DVD install method?

Thanks!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 03:42:26 pm »
Correct, the DVD method will completely wipe the drive (all partitions gone). Be aware the DVD method is dramatically simpler and takes about 40mins, the CD method over 3 hours. Also, if you are setting up a "core" you really should be setting it up on a dedicated system...

scoob8000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 04:52:18 pm »
Guess I'll have to try to find another hard drive.  This PC is my current HTPC running Windows.  I wanted to try LinuxMCE out
and make sure it works before wiping it completely..  :)

scoob8000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:03:23 am »
Update for future searchers!

I started fresh again and this time did not let kubuntu install the nvidia drivers.  And.......... IT WORKS!!