Author Topic: Any chance to use Mythphone as video phone on MD ?  (Read 2849 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Any chance to use Mythphone as video phone on MD ?
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:08:44 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure how many LMCE users already use this interesting plugin (also I wonder if mythtv users use it), but it could be also used as video phone on MDs, since we already have myth frontend running on them. Currently we have Orbiter embedded phone, but it doesn't support video telephony (although linphone already supports it and we know that embedded phone is based on linphone library)...

http://web.archive.org/web/20070205135537/www.zen13655.zen.co.uk/mythphone.html

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/MythPhone

At the time I tried to use it with Pluto+s Asterisk remember the problem, cause it requires myth frontend to be running and as far as I know it's only running occasionally under LMCE - when you are in TV scenario...

Anyone with more insight into this ? I still strongly believe that having video telephony would be killer feature for LMCE....

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Any chance to use Mythphone as video phone on MD ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:45:51 am »
MythPhone was unmaintained in MythTV 0.19, 0.20 and 0.21 and grew a bit of cruft.

Shane S. of MythTV has recently begun submitting patches to get this plug-in running well again.

Of course, the problem is that we would either need to keep MythFrontend running, possibly on a different virtual desktop than the Orbiter, or we would need to create a MythPhone DCE Device specifically for MythPhone. Neither is impossible but someone would need to spend some time implementing this and be willing to maintain the code.

If anyone is up to the task, please contact me by e-mail and I'll help get you started.