Author Topic: Anyone happily using a mostly-pc setup?  (Read 1916 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Anyone happily using a mostly-pc setup?
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:58:01 pm »
I'm finding the (perceived) lack of control I have over linuxMCE to be very frustrating.  This is mainly for the extra drives, if I can get to them via OS, trying to keep lmce out of all but one directory structure, etc.  The fear of "breaking" my box by adding other software is another issue, and quite frankly I don't want to run dhcp on this desktop (web admin stuff is also buggy if you don't stick to the default subnets).  Not to mention my old MythTV client has yet to successfully boot to a fully functioning MD.

I've all but given up on the idea of running linuxMCE in a mostly-pc config (I even have it set to boot to a kde login and linuxMCE seems to start fine in the background).  If I do give up and go back to straight Myth, I may build a couple cheap boxes and setup a dedicated core and dedicated mds after the official 0710 is out.  In my limited experience with lmce it really comes off as something that needs to be completely dedicated, not dual purpose.  It appears to have a ton of potential, but the Mac-like "I control everything the way I want, you users don't need to worry about the details" stuff is killing me.  I strongly feel the wiki faq for "I'm a Linux user already. Should I use LinuxMCE's distribution" needs updated with warnings and such.  Much like the demo video, it paints a rosey picture but should really be more of a "you can do it, but there are a lot of gotchas and you can't treat it like a standard linux desktop" answer.

Before I jump ship, is anyone successfully using this the way I want to, as a desktop, web/e-mail/dns server, and hybrid core/md?  Any words of encouragement?  Am I giving up too soon?