Author Topic: Any way to bypass the automatic disk partitioning?  (Read 2509 times)

sarte

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Any way to bypass the automatic disk partitioning?
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:06:33 pm »
So I have the "grub error 18" problem. Yes I know I could install the MCE from cd's but I'm keen on the idea that I wouldn't have to set up VDR on my own. So is there any possibility to by pass the automated partition creation and do it by your self (and why EXT2? Why, oh why?)

Secondly. when does the installer decide how big boot section it will use. Just curious because I have successfully installed MCE beta 3 to this particular hardware without any problems (my hd died so I'm right back to where I started). In that case I had older 7.04-based MCE installed and during the installation it asked if I want to use old settings with my new installation. So does it look up some particular files etc. I could just create couple of configuration files and cheat the installer that I have actually older MCE installed on my HD.

nascarfan1956

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to bypass the automatic disk partitioning?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:36:40 pm »
The DVD installer is a "known good" image that is for clean installs ONLY.  This subject has been brought up FAR too many times.  Please read the Wiki/forums regarding the DVD install.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to bypass the automatic disk partitioning?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:03:08 pm »
Install from CDs - VDR doesn't require any setup, you just click Use VDR just like in the DVD and its done. You still have to create and upload a channels.conf file but that is true for DVD as well.