Author Topic: Extension to events and/or automatic lights wizard  (Read 3911 times)

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Extension to events and/or automatic lights wizard
« on: March 27, 2008, 03:46:26 pm »
At the moment if I want to add automatic lighting to my home I am very limited. I can set up an event which lets me turn on a light if movement is detected in a room, and it's a certain time of day, and the house is occupied etc, but then there is no decent way to control how it is turned off. Additionally, whenever motion is detected in the room the light is turned on, even if it is already on, saturating the HA bus (for X10 this is a real problem).

We need something like this:

- Define which lights in a room should be controlled
- Define which sensors in the room should be allowed to control the lights
- Set additional criteria like brightness level from specified sensors, time of day, day/night from latitude/longitude
- Give a time period after which if there is no movement the lights are turned off
- Ability to specify a soft-on/soft-off, or a time where the lights dim and stay at that level for x minutes before turning off entirely etc
- Not change lights (on or off) if you are watching media in a room
- More???

Has anyone else got close to this? I would have thought this would be a popular feature. I have misterhouse doing this for me now and have got so lazy I couldn't live without automatic lights!

Chris

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Extension to events and/or automatic lights wizard
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:46:37 pm »
I think this would be a valuable feature but implementation won't be easy. I asked for it two years ago and was told that it would need to wait since the underlying logic stuff is pretty involved. I'll keep pushing. Defining the conditionals on the web admin panel in a way that is easy for a non-programmer to manage is part of the problem.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:49:16 pm »
Hi,

I also live in new home with LMCE running, but basically event/scenario handling features of LMCE are pretty limited now. Luckily, I'm using home automation system that lets me program certain behaviour on lower level, and  I get more and more "misterhouse" hickups, when I remember, how easy it is to do something similar under Misterhouse....

I have also written device driver for my automation system in Perl, so got a bit deeper into LMCE internals, and I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do something useful in Perl. I'm even thinking to use Misterhouse in some easy way (I don't remember how those light Misterhouse clients are called) or may<be do something in POE or something similar. Basically, I'd want to register message interceptors and then have some similar engine like Misterhouse does, so you can add such logic pretty easy...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »
Have you seen the misterhouse script I wrote which connects to LMCE and basically registers MH as a home automation interface in LMCE? This is a workaround though. It would be great if we could do this stuff natively in LMCE.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:48:52 pm »
You have a lot more options doing this from the advance wizard.. The biggest thing we need is a timer for commands, some more key variables exposed (time, house status, etc)and command groups. With those things implemented, we should have most everything we need to do some very nice responses to events

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 11:42:26 pm »
You have a lot more options doing this from the advance wizard.. The biggest thing we need is a timer for commands, some more key variables exposed (time, house status, etc)and command groups. With those things implemented, we should have most everything we need to do some very nice responses to events
Hi,

I totally agree. we need some convenient way to create complex scenarios as non-programmers... Timer is most wanted in my scenarios right now...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:45:53 pm »
Have you seen the misterhouse script I wrote which connects to LMCE and basically registers MH as a home automation interface in LMCE? This is a workaround though. It would be great if we could do this stuff natively in LMCE.

Haven't seen your script (would like to - where? ), but there is already some starting mockup code on Wiki (I wrote that ages ago). Feel free to update...  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Misterhouse

I always thought it would be nice to integrate Misterhouse more closely (that means that all devices Misterhouse has in control to be exposed to LMCE also).... A lot of developmet could be made as proof of concept if we would conncet tightly to Misterhouse...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.