Author Topic: 710 Release TODO  (Read 14766 times)

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
710 Release TODO
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:37:07 pm »
Just so people know why 710 isn't here yet. Here are the major TODO's, the "*" ones are ones I really want to have fixed before 710, and the "+" are ones I'd like to fix since the release will be delayed anyway for the "*" ones.

The remaining TODO's are:
  VIA support is pretty lame at the moment:
    * Cursor leaves dandruff (fix is to enable SWCursor in xorg.conf, need to make default)
    * MythTV menu text not always drawn.
       (Maybe switching from 24 bit to 16 bit fb helps?)
       (If not, maybe MythTV OpenGL menu drawing should be enabled?)
  nVidia 7150 + and some 6150 systems have high cpu problem
    * Causes high Xorg usage with MythTV + Xine, unless V-Sync disabled
       (Worst case, we can detect high CPU usage and enable V-Sync hack.)
  Z-Wave
    * We need US (120v) USB support, basically ZCU101
    * I think we need to make sure Hari's stuff is all on the DVD/CD +
       working for HA22 in Europe
    + It would be nice to support ZCU201 in addition to HA22
       (probably a freebe as part of getting ZCU101 working.)
  Insteon
    + We have Paul's driver, which is fine; but it would be nice to
        have Dan Damron's stuff with the plug-n-play USB Insteon device.

PS New things may be added to this as testing reveals more problems, but as you can see the remaining issues seem to be mostly related to specific hardware and not overall system issues. This also doesn't list problems with beta 3 which have been fixed in SVN already..

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: 710 Release TODO
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:52:50 am »
Daniel,

Thanks to Seth, we've found some bugs in the X10 support of Insteon.. I'm working through them now..
Once that's fixed, I'll update with Hari's sqlcvs to get the code there. 

Also, the PLCBUS code, while still not 'tidied' up, is functional.
I'll see if hari and I can schedule a time to get that code plug and play.

I've also tested the Fiire's debian image with 0710.  As expected, it works, but without any enhancements.
(ie xine not updated, MPlayer doesn't work, and as always, MythTV & KDE do not work.)

HTH

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:43:58 am »
Daniel--

Do you mean Pete's Insteon driver?  I know I haven't done that much, but I'm going to claim credit for what I did do!  ;D

This is a pretty basic driver, especially compared to Dan's PLM driver, but It was a first cut and does provide basic USB-PLC functionality.  So far I think I'm the only one that has tested this, and Pluto is still trying (somewhat) to resolve a start-up issue with it.  I really think this should be tested by at least one person other than me before we call it ready for 0710 and put it out.

The preferred path I think at this point would be to recommend the Insteon PLM, a newer device with a better interface and a much more complete (thanks to Dan) driver. With the PNP detect script, it should be functionally comparible with the USB device for the end user.

As for syncing Dan's driver (currently in Hari's DB, I believe) to the release (pluto's server), have you guys found a way to do that?  I know Kirill definitely had problems doing that with some of my templates that I had checked into Hari's server and then tried to put in the Pluto server.

I've been busy with work lately, but I have been trying to get a ZCU101 for testing, but I haven't been able to yet.  It sounds like Hari's got the USB driver working.  I'm pretty familiar with the previous Zwave implementation, so if tweaks are needed for the new device, I can help work out those issues.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:40:52 am »
Petek,

Thanks for dropping in there...
Yes, he means your driver..
I'm expecting a delivery this friday for a USB PLC.  I will test it with your driver as soon as I get it.
(BTW, thank you to Daniel for sending me a PLC)

All the best,

Dan

The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:12:44 pm »
Hello Daniel,

I don't see VDR in your show stopper list. Does this mean VDR is now in working and usable conditions? Or is VDR falling off 0710?

rgds
Oliver

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:11:51 pm »
Daniel--

Do you mean Pete's Insteon driver?  I know I haven't done that much, but I'm going to claim credit for what I did do!  ;D

Yes, yes I do :)

This is a pretty basic driver, especially compared to Dan's PLM driver, but It was a first cut and does provide basic USB-PLC functionality.  So far I think I'm the only one that has tested this, and Pluto is still trying (somewhat) to resolve a start-up issue with it.  I really think this should be tested by at least one person other than me before we call it ready for 0710 and put it out.

The preferred path I think at this point would be to recommend the Insteon PLM, a newer device with a better interface and a much more complete (thanks to Dan) driver. With the PNP detect script, it should be functionally comparible with the USB device for the end user.

As for syncing Dan's driver (currently in Hari's DB, I believe) to the release (pluto's server), have you guys found a way to do that?  I know Kirill definitely had problems doing that with some of my templates that I had checked into Hari's server and then tried to put in the Pluto server.

I've been busy with work lately, but I have been trying to get a ZCU101 for testing, but I haven't been able to yet.  It sounds like Hari's got the USB driver working.  I'm pretty familiar with the previous Zwave implementation, so if tweaks are needed for the new device, I can help work out those issues.

Shoot, I just got a ZCU101 for testing the ZWave stuff, I could have gotten one for you too. I sent ddamron the Insteon device you sent me, so that he can look at that stuff.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 04:37:25 am »
I don't see VDR in your show stopper list. Does this mean VDR is now in working and usable conditions? Or is VDR falling off 0710?

It's more or less working. But there won't be a lot of extra functionality VDR plugins this time around.. VDR==DVB for now.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:47:56 am »
It's more or less working. But there won't be a lot of extra functionality VDR plugins this time around.. VDR==DVB for now.

Now that I know about the missing support for the pvrusb2 etc, I can live with it.

I just hope orbiters (n800 in particular) will be able to control the VDR on the core, and the MDs can watch channels off of the core, too.

That would be a huge step forward. And having the source of the VDR implementation wouldn't hurt either ;-)

rgds
Oliver

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:06:56 am »
Just so people know why 710 isn't here yet. Here are the major TODO's, the "*" ones are ones I really want to have fixed before 710, and the "+" are ones I'd like to fix since the release will be delayed anyway for the "*" ones.

The remaining TODO's are:
  VIA support is pretty lame at the moment:
    * Cursor leaves dandruff (fix is to enable SWCursor in xorg.conf, need to make default)
    * MythTV menu text not always drawn.
       (Maybe switching from 24 bit to 16 bit fb helps?)
       (If not, maybe MythTV OpenGL menu drawing should be enabled?)
  nVidia 7150 + and some 6150 systems have high cpu problem
    * Causes high Xorg usage with MythTV + Xine, unless V-Sync disabled
       (Worst case, we can detect high CPU usage and enable V-Sync hack.)
  Z-Wave
    * We need US (120v) USB support, basically ZCU101
    * I think we need to make sure Hari's stuff is all on the DVD/CD +
       working for HA22 in Europe
    + It would be nice to support ZCU201 in addition to HA22
       (probably a freebe as part of getting ZCU101 working.)
  Insteon
    + We have Paul's driver, which is fine; but it would be nice to
        have Dan Damron's stuff with the plug-n-play USB Insteon device.

PS New things may be added to this as testing reveals more problems, but as you can see the remaining issues seem to be mostly related to specific hardware and not overall system issues. This also doesn't list problems with beta 3 which have been fixed in SVN already..

Re Z-wave... the ZCU101 & 201 are the same in all respects apart from the radio frequency they transmit/receive on. The 201 works on the European frequencies and the 101 work on the North American frequencies. At a software level they are identical.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:47:45 am »
Hello Daniel,

rgds
Oliver

I'm hoping for some improvements too... I'll just have to wait and see :)

DTS

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Keng - a blog
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:55:25 am »
+1

But I understand that if 0710 is going to be released anytime soon they will have to make some sacrifices. But VDR is the most important feature in 0710 for me.

Do I understand correctly that it is not possible to use a MD to see TV with VDR? You have to use it as an Hybrid?

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 04:45:31 pm »
As VDR is now, it works only on the core and the menus are not finished.
The EPG works fine. DVB cards must be installed in the Core only.

With vdradmin installed (has to be installed manually), VDR also has a nice webinterface to zap channels on the core or schedule recordings. It also has the full EPG that is received throug DVB.

There is a hack to use the VDR setup that is on the core on MD's, again manual setup.

For now VDR seems to work well, but what remains is finishing the LinuxMCE GUI.
I'm just guessing from posts on this forum...

Personally I would like to se VDR supporting DVB cards in any MD and again any MD would then be able to use any of those DVB cards.
I have a DVB-S card that has to be in the living room where my sat cable is.

I am also hoping that the plugins for VDR works... I would like to drop my Dreambox and get all 6000 channels from my sat dish working mostly like they do in my Dreambox, but from any MD... Wishful thinking :)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:48:14 pm »
In all honesty, I don't see a need to hold back the release because of these minor issues with some hardware that a lot of people don't even use.

VIA: support sucks even worse then ATI's, the only difference is that fiire doesn't sell that.

Nvidia: a minor problem with 2 chipsets for which the workaround is apparently already known.

Zwave/Insteon: this is an ongoing development thing, if it's not ready for the big time by now it should be postponed to an update or even the next release (especially with Kubuntu-8.4 around the corner). 

Now I don't mean any disrespect to all the people working hard to solve these issues (and add new features) but I do think at the very least another beta should be released.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

DTS

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Keng - a blog
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 07:15:42 pm »
As VDR is now, it works only on the core and the menus are not finished.
The EPG works fine. DVB cards must be installed in the Core only.

Just to make it clear: So I must have my cards in the core, but it is also the only place I can watch Tv?

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 07:18:06 pm »
zaerc has a good point about the update part. will there be/is there a good update mechanism for patching things like that in lmce 0710? a new release and then a few patches every month to fix some stuff would be nice.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P