Author Topic: MythTV Setup Problem on a Hybrid  (Read 5082 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
MythTV Setup Problem on a Hybrid
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:25:19 pm »
I have v2.0.0.32 installed on a hybrid box.   The hybrid box has two network interface cards installed (eth1=external and eth0=internal) as well as a PVR-250 tuner card.  No errors were reported during the installation of the IVTV drivers/firmware.  The setup of MythTV appears to have been completed successfully with the expected IP assignment (192.168.80.1) for the "master server".  When I attempt to "Watch TV", I receive the following error message:

"Could not connect to the master backend server -- is it running? Is the IP address in the set-up program correct"

How can I determine if the "master backend server" is running ?  If it isn't running, what can I do to correct the problem?

Tom

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 01:28:13 am »
I'm getting the exact same error with a hybrid .32 install.

I have other problems to solve as well, my motherboard has an onboard Via 6122 GbE, and it's not communicating through it at all.  So I'm left wondering if the two problems are related.  My second NIC (external internet) has an old intel 10/100 on it, and works fine so I could complete the setup.

-TM

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:36:39 am »
Update:  Still have no idea if MythTV is releated to Via GbE problem, 0.32, or general linux issue.  I downloaded the latest driver from via and compiled/installed it (after I d/l'd the pluto kernel source).  No change.  GbE still not working.

ifconfig shows ip assigned to the GbE as 192.168.80.1, tx a few KB, rx=0.  The light on my switch never toggles.  I can't ping it from a different machine, although I can from the core/hybrid's console.

I know the via GbE works, as I reserved a partition for windows on the machine (after the first several installs failed prior to installing old 10/100 as second network), loaded Win2K, and all of my hardware works fine.

Hints on MythTV or this problem?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 10:01:44 pm »
I have been experiencing similar problems when running MythTV since the .32 uprgade and this is on a non hybrid. Is there a problem with the mythTV config in .32??

Regards

Paul

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 12:18:39 pm »
Taking into account the number of reports on MythTV, I think something went wrong with it. I get the same thing here. But... I'm not a MythTV expert at all. If anyone has some extensive experience with MythTV and can take a look in it's settings, database, etc. (disregarding Pluto, since it's probably a MythTV config problem only), I'd appreciate if you could tell me "this setting is wrong. it looks like this, but it should actually look like this". Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 12:55:50 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"
Taking into account the number of reports on MythTV, I think something went wrong with it. I get the same thing here. But... I'm not a MythTV expert at all. If anyone has some extensive experience with MythTV and can take a look in it's settings, database, etc. (disregarding Pluto, since it's probably a MythTV config problem only), I'd appreciate if you could tell me "this setting is wrong. it looks like this, but it should actually look like this". Thanks.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help to others as well, but here are the steps I had to do to get mythtv working under 0.32:

1. I had problem cause ivtv installation installs tveeprom.ko that collides with bttv's same kernel module. I just renamed that from ivtv and bttv loaded fine since then (I use bttv only for surveillance cams)

2. I had problems not spotting /dev/videoX registration when loading ivtv driver - but don't worry that's not an issue - it seems like ivtv in 4.0 version doesn't report device it registers on, but it's there ...

3. mythtv after steps 1. and 2. still didn't work (mythbackend was running, but it had no tuners available) and cause was quite trivial: I had to reenter card config in mythsetup. Now it's working again.... I'm not sure when this happened, but suspect after 0.32 upgrade... I also added slave backend on my Digimatrix, so maybe this caused my problems and erased config on main server ...

HTH,

regards,

Rob.