Author Topic: Ripping CD incorrectly identified a CD  (Read 2396 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Ripping CD incorrectly identified a CD
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:01:05 am »
In the process of ripping a number of CDs I have, I inserted the Ministry of Sound: Annual 2008 CD1 but the core identifies it as Ministry of Sound: Ibiza Annual 2008! About 2 of the tracks happen to be the same but in a different order, all the rest are completely different.

It does the same thing whether you are just playing it or ripping it...

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ripping CD incorrectly identified a CD
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:15:18 am »
On the DVD side, identification is usually wrong when the disk you are attempting to play/rip was bought as a single, but now is available as a dual/triple.  I think this is because Amazon gives preference to currently available titles.  I've had several disks that the particular version I have is not in amazon's database (Kill Bill Vol 2 was the last one I ran across this problem).

IMO, I would love to see the community establish a community maintained media database.  I've been using DVDProfiler on windoze for years and the accuracy, detail, and availability has been superb.  Unfortunately DVDProfiler is a closed database (shareware).

With sqlCVS it should be possible to share media records.  We would just need an easy to use UI and some form of media review/acceptance.

Have fun,
Roy

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:25:13 am »
Sounds like a great idea, Roy - but I think the basis should still be Amazon (or preferably another source!), with the option to override the metadata. Otherwise it would be a looong slog uphill just to get reasonable initial coverage - you wouldn't want to be digging up all those details manually just because you happen to be the first person to rip that particular DVD!

This goes to some questions I have asked before about precendence and metadata - previously (nobody has been able to answer yet) it was about the precendence between the metadata in the database and the metadata in id3 tags/id3 files. Bidirectional and conflict resolution, etc.

Same applies to this - the UI would need some way to flag that certain attributes have been 1) manually overridden and they should not be redownloaded from the Internet and 2) send this "attribute bundle" up to the sqlCVS database for distribution.

But again - this raises the subject for me of the current situation. I am finding lots of CDs simply miss some attributes on some tracks (about 2 tracks on average out of each 15 track CD) and I have to manually enter the data - I do this in Windows on the machine that the media share is homed on, as it is easy to multiple select lots of files, go to properties and set the metadata. Seems that Windows (amazingly!) actually correctly inserts the id3 tags (I thought it used 'streams' but seemingly not as the core can see the metadata) into the files, then I hit resync and my database updates! Easy - but what prevents updatemedia from overwriting these changes on a subsequent scan? This is what I mean about wanting to understand how the precedence works....

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:12:58 am »
Sounds like a great idea, Roy - but I think the basis should still be Amazon (or preferably another source!), with the option to override the metadata. Otherwise it would be a looong slog uphill just to get reasonable initial coverage - you wouldn't want to be digging up all those details manually just because you happen to be the first person to rip that particular DVD!

Actually over the years I've had the pleasure just a few times.  Takes about a half an hour to scan the cover and type in all the info from the sleeve.  Easy payback was my attitude.   :)  But yes, it would be easier to have a base dataset to work from...

This goes to some questions I have asked before about precendence and metadata - previously (nobody has been able to answer yet) it was about the precendence between the metadata in the database and the metadata in id3 tags/id3 files. Bidirectional and conflict resolution, etc.

I haven't found a definitive answer but by observation, the .id3 files seems to have precedence unless I'm trying to edit/rename/move when UpdateMedia happens along and trashes the .id3 file.  Next time I mess with my media, I'm going to try turning UpdateMedia off (Files & Media | Media Files Sync + uncheck Update Media Daemon - which BTW, does kill the UpdateMedia process), just to see if that helps...

Have fun,
Roy