Author Topic: [SOLVED] Component Video Out - NVIDIA  (Read 11021 times)

krk

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Component Video Out - NVIDIA
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:02 am »
Ok..  after several days of trial and error, and hours reading through the wiki, forums, etc...  I am finally giving up and asking for help.

I have a nvidia 7300LE video card.  It has VGA, DVI, S-Video, and Component Out (with breakout cable)

I can get video to work with everything except Component Out, and due to my setup, I will have to use component for HD output.  My receiver will not let me chose SPDIF audio when using HDMI for the video input (DVI to HDMI cable)   So..  I am stuck with having to use Component video and I just can't seem to get it to work out.

I have tried the AVWizzard and I can't seem to get a signal when I chose Component.  neither 480 or 720 work.

I have also tried to edit my xorg.conf file, however, I am still trying to learn how this all works.

If anyone has a similar setup, and has successfully got component out to work, could you please help me out.

as a side note, is it possible to have dual monitor output, where I could use this same card and just clone the output using both VGA and Component, assuming I can ever get component working?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:37:18 am by krk »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Component Video Out - NVIDIA
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:51:30 pm »
Are you using 0704, or 0710b3?

I recommend upgrading to 0710b3.

-Thom

krk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:15:37 pm »
Sorry, I forgot to include that...  Yes, I am using 0710 now.  I just upgraded it about a week ago.

methos

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:54:35 pm »
krk,

It sounds like 2 of us are in the same boat.  I have virtually the same setup - LMCE 7.10b3 with Nvidia 7500 GT instead, and a Hauppage 150 tuner.

Have you installed the NVidia drivers?  Use envy (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) to do the install.  Make sure that you have all of the screens you want to output to connected and powered when installing, as I found out that there is some system checking done, and once I did this install with everything connected, I started to get better results with output to TV and VGA.

Still I have similar problems though...

I have installed the NVidia drivers (via envy), and have had various luck getting things where I want them, and where *I think* they should be.  MythTV works, and I have setup TwinView with the screens overlapping.  I set the TVOut to be the primary out and it raises the taskbar to the middle of the screen on VGA, but it is correct on the TV.  All of this is from within KDE.  I cannot seem to get the MCE interface to be displayed correctly on the TV, it always ends up panning, or shifted to the left (I only see the right hand side of the interface).

I have tried resetting the interface using the AVWizard without the VGA connected, but it still gives me a default of 640x480, and I then need to zoom out and pan the screen to get it to fit within the TV display.  When MCE comes up, the display is about 2/3 the display size and I get only the right-hand side of the interface.

Perhaps my desires to setup the VGA resolution differently than the TV resolution, and the MCE interface are ill-sought?  In my research I saw something called "dynamic TwinView", is this my holy grail?

This is my first experience with Linux/Unix in a number of years (about 8 or so), and even then it was pretty much limited.  Any help getting a good interface would be appreciated.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »
I use component out with a 6150 (on the MSI MS-7329). I'm using it to output PAL SD-TV (768x576, interlaced):
Code: [Select]
        Option  "TVStandard"    "HD576i"
        Option  "TVOutFormat"   "COMPONENT"

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

bugui

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:54 am »
Hello, I have the same problem and I try several configurations but I still have 1inch black line at top of my tv.
I have a m2npv-vm using component output and a PAL TV, i think that I have a similar configuration... i hope.
Could you paste the xorg.conf file for me?
Thanks in advance
Hernan

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:45:09 am »
Ok..  after several days of trial and error, and hours reading through the wiki, forums, etc...  I am finally giving up and asking for help.

I have a nvidia 7300LE video card.  It has VGA, DVI, S-Video, and Component Out (with breakout cable)

I can get video to work with everything except Component Out, and due to my setup, I will have to use component for HD output.  My receiver will not let me chose SPDIF audio when using HDMI for the video input (DVI to HDMI cable)   So..  I am stuck with having to use Component video and I just can't seem to get it to work out.

I have tried the AVWizzard and I can't seem to get a signal when I chose Component.  neither 480 or 720 work.

I have also tried to edit my xorg.conf file, however, I am still trying to learn how this all works.

If anyone has a similar setup, and has successfully got component out to work, could you please help me out.

as a side note, is it possible to have dual monitor output, where I could use this same card and just clone the output using both VGA and Component, assuming I can ever get component working?

I've gotten component (the SVideo) output to work on my 7300GT. I think your's would be similar. I've edited my xorg.conf manually - I believe there is a problem with the AVWizard when using the beta on SVideo.
Do a search for my posts, and for those of Colin Jones. They will give you a lot of help. Have a look at this page: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers. It will not give you any specific information about your problem, but it will help you to understand the process and so make it easier to understand the steps that will lead you to a solution.

Later this evening, I'll upload a page to my website to give you some more help at this location:
http://www.pillayfamily.com/LinuxMCE/TVasDisplay.html. It currently just contains garbage (Its just a placeholder for the info I'll post).

Finally one piece of info: Your component output is likely to be "TV-1" or "Component", and the SVideo is likely to be TV-0. If you find any info before I get my web page up, substitute TV-1 (if that doesn't work, try Component) where other people mention CRT for the VGA connector, or DFP for the DVI connector.

Best Regards,
RichardP.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:47:42 am by RichardP »
Best Regards,
Richard

krk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:41:45 pm »

Do a search for my posts, and for those of Colin Jones. They will give you a lot of help. Have a look at this page: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers. It will not give you any specific information about your problem, but it will help you to understand the process and so make it easier to understand the steps that will lead you to a solution.

Later this evening, I'll upload a page to my website to give you some more help at this location:
http://www.pillayfamily.com/LinuxMCE/TVasDisplay.html. It currently just contains garbage (Its just a placeholder for the info I'll post).

Finally one piece of info: Your component output is likely to be "TV-1" or "Component", and the SVideo is likely to be TV-0. If you find any info before I get my web page up, substitute TV-1 (if that doesn't work, try Component) where other people mention CRT for the VGA connector, or DFP for the DVI connector.

Best Regards,
RichardP.

RichardP -  Thanks for the info,   I read through the wiki the other day and somewhat have an understanding, I think I will read it again today to try to make some more sense out of it.  I will also take a look at some of your posts, and those of Colin, and try the other items you mentioned.   I will also check back later to look at the info on your website.     
Time to head to work now, hopefully I can sneak in some reading while I'm there.

thanks
Kory

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:59:47 pm »
check back later to look at the info on your website.     
Time to head to work now, hopefully I can sneak in some reading while I'm there.

thanks
Kory

Kory,
Sorry about the website. I had a file I was going to put up yesterday, but I seem to have lost it. It'll be a few days before I get it together again. In the meantime, just ask here and we'll try to figure it out together.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

krk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 06:02:37 pm »
Ok..  I spent hours trying out different settings..  this is getting very frusterating..   But, I kept track of the different ways I got DVI and SVIDEO to work.

I never did get component working, but using an example from another guys xorg.conf file (found on some other forum)  I was able to get the Dual Monitor working..   Well..  it was working, just not outputting the component side.  But I know it was working, because I could move the mouse off the screen to the right, and see the menu items pop up.  So as long as I can get the component output to work, everything should work out.

I tried multiple settings that were unsuccesful in producing an output to component.

Some of the items I tried other then just the standard AV Wizzard:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV", I also tried TV-0 and TV-1
I also tried Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"

Below is an example of what I have on there right now that is working for Dual-Screen (cloned) with the second screen not actually outputting.
I also added to the example, those setting that worked for both SVIDEO and for DVI.   they are all commented out, but just included them for the purpose of posting this file.

Thanks to all for the replied.  I really hope I can get this working.  If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.  I will continue to research more on my own, read more posts, and other peoples examples, and will report back later, good or bad.

##################################
#####-----Device Section-----#####

#######-Device Section from working DVI & SVIDEO-#########################
#Section "Device"
#    Identifier     "nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE]"
#    Driver         "nvidia"
# Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "true"
# Option "renderAccel" "true"
# Option "NoDDCValue"
# Option "UseEDID" "false"
# Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
# Option "NoLogo" "true"
# Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
# Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"
# Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
# Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
# Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"-    #####-DVI
# Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"      #####-SVIDEO
# Option "TVOutFormat" "SVideo"       #####-SVIDEO
#EndSection
##########################################################################

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Device[0]"
   Driver "nvidia"
   BusID "PCI:2:0:0"

Screen 0
   Option "ConnectedMonitor" "MD30219PH"

EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Device[1]"
   Driver "nvidia"
   BusID "PCI:2:0:0"

Screen 1
   Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
   Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

EndSection

###################################
#####-----Monitor Section-----#####
###################################

########-Monitor Section from working DVI & SVIDEO #######################
# Section "Monitor"
#     Identifier     "Generic Monitor"
#     Option         "DPMS"
# Modeline "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync ### DVI
# Modeline "640x480" 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525                     ### SVIDEO
# HorizSync 20-500
# VertRefresh 59-61
# EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "MD30219PH"
   Option  "DPMS"
   HorizSync 64-80
   VertRefresh 60-75
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "TV"
   HorizSync 15-45
   VertRefresh 50-60
EndSection

#####-----Screen Section-----#####

#######-Screen Section from DVI & SVIDEO-#################################
# Section "Screen"
#    Identifier     "Default Screen"
#    Device         "nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE]"
#    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
#    DefaultDepth    24
# SubSection "Display"
# Modes "1280x720" ##### - DVI
# Virtual 1280 720 ##### - DVI
# Modes "640x480" ##### - SVIDEO
# Virtual 640 480 ##### - SVIDEO
# EndSubSection
# Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "true"
# Option "renderAccel" "true"
# Option "NoDDCValue"
# Option "UseEDID" "false"
# Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
# Option "NoLogo" "true"
# Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
# Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"
# Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
# Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
# Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
# Option "TVStandard" "720p" ##### - DVI
# Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M" ##### - SVIDEO
# EndSection
#

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen[0]"
   Device "Device[0]"
   Monitor "MD30219PH"
   DefaultDepth 24
   Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

SubSection "Display"
      Depth  24
      Modes  "1280x1024" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen[1]"
   Device "Device[1]"
   Monitor "TV"
   DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "720p" "1280x720"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

########################################
#####-----ServerLayout Section-----#####

#######-ServerLayout Section from DVI & SVIDEO-###########################
#Section "ServerLayout"
#    Identifier     "Default Layout"
#    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
#    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
#    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "Simple Layout"

Screen 0 "Screen[0]"
   Screen 1 "Screen[1]" RightOf "Screen[0]"

InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
   InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
   InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
   InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
   InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
   Mode 0666
EndSection

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 06:32:36 pm »
maybe that helps:
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"
    Option "NoDDCValue"
    Option "UseEDID" "false"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"
    Option "TVStandard"    "HD720p"
    Option "TVOutFormat"   "COMPONENT"

krk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:06:09 pm »
maybe that helps:
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"
    Option "NoDDCValue"
    Option "UseEDID" "false"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"
    Option "TVStandard"    "HD720p"
    Option "TVOutFormat"   "COMPONENT"

I will give that a try, I'm not sure if I tried: Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"   or not.
I do have a few questions that maybe you can help me with.

1.  You have both the Option "UseDisplayDevice" and the Option "ConnectedMonitor" - would I want to include both of those, or do I use one or the other?

2.  What is the difference between "TV" and "TV-0"  when it comes to both UseDisplayDevice and ConnectedMonitor Options?

3.  What is the difference between TVStandard "HD720p" and "720p"  I have seen both, what is correct, or does it matter?

4.  Do I need any options for "metamode" under Screen Settings.  I have seen this, but don't understand it fully and not sure what, if anything, I would need to put in my file?

thanks

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 08:05:26 pm »
I will give that a try, I'm not sure if I tried: Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"   or not.
I do have a few questions that maybe you can help me with.

1.  You have both the Option "UseDisplayDevice" and the Option "ConnectedMonitor" - would I want to include both of those, or do I use one or the other?
i use them both.
iirc you could specify your connected devices with say ConnectedMonitor "DFP-0, TV-0".
UseDisplayDevice "TV-0" sets the output device.

2.  What is the difference between "TV" and "TV-0"  when it comes to both UseDisplayDevice and ConnectedMonitor Options?
TV is deprecated

3.  What is the difference between TVStandard "HD720p" and "720p"  I have seen both, what is correct, or does it matter?
what i have seen in the nvidia docs "HD720P" should be correct.

4.  Do I need any options for "metamode" under Screen Settings.  I have seen this, but don't understand it fully and not sure what, if anything, I would need to put in my file?
i would assume something like "1280x720", but i don't know as i don't use that resolution over component.

best regards,
Hari

krk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:04:41 pm »
Hari-

thanks for the info, that helps..  I will try both TV-0 and TV-1 as suggested by RichardP.  Is there any standard set that specifies what gets assigned TV-0 or TV-1 in multiple output format cards?

thanks again

Kory

krk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 12:18:30 am »
Ok..  so I am a huge dumba$$.  I am running my HTPC into my AV receiver, and the Video Select was switched to a different sorce.  So Audio was working, but the video was showing the input of an unused device.

But the good news is, everything works   ;D

Thanks to everyone for helping me out, it wasn't a complete waste, I learned alot, figured out dual monitor support if I should choose to do that later, and hopefully others will benifit from some of what we talked about.

FWIW - using the AV Wizzard worked first time after getting my input switched over to the correct settings.   And in my defense, my receiver doesn't display what is selected for video if the video doesn't match the actual input selected.